Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2011, 14:06   #3196
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If your vehicle is under standard or extended warranty, it has to be given.

The HVAC hot air control setup is lousy in the safari, Many times hot air flap does not close. Ask them to open it and fix it for you, if not fixable replace entire center console under warranty

Vertical alignment adjusts both headlights. If one headlight is misaligned, the workshop will adjust it using screws to bring it on level with the other. then you can use the in cabin adjustment

No its not normal. Whenever service light comes, it logs an error code in the ECU. Ask TASS to diagnose and fix the problem. Many times service centers keep delaying, and when vehicle is out of warranty they will repair it and fix you with a huge bill
Today got back the Safari and am satisfied so far. Following things done:

1. Alternator repaired under warranty. (Though the Advisor told that he personally argued with the manufacturing company and got it done. Just a personal touch he showed because always its he who attends my vehicle there. I dont mind it, thanked him).

2. He told, some flap was not closed properly in AC vent, they adjusted it. Yes, there is remarkable change in the cooling. Actually, I realized it late. Cooling was perfect when it was new. For past some time it got declined. Must have been due to that hot air , now its cooling fast and thick.

3. They checked ECU with Software, and told that they have refreshed it, there is no problem or error now. On my way driving back from the workshop, I could feel discernible change in engine sound and smoothness both. It feels so nice now. I hope service light must stop coming now.

4. They did some adjustment in headlight alignment, but, yet to check if it improves.

5. Also there was leakage from oil filter. I have noticed it, have taken it for fixing next day only. Some rubber seal in filter was cracked. Replaced filter and topped-up engine oil (only this item was charged Rs. 1061/-including taxes and 2 litrs oil).

But, in fixing Alternator, Autocop's wires seem to have been disturbed, its not working. Realized it after coming back. So shall call Autocop person on Monday/Tuesday. Till then have to do central locking manually.

Rest seems well now. Changing of headlight bulbs is left, will do it as and when budget permits.

Thanks again Tanveer ji for valuable advise, otherwise I could have ignored the ECU and AC vents checking issues.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 2nd April 2011 at 14:18.
Old 2nd April 2011, 19:08   #3197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
2. He told, some flap was not closed properly in AC vent, they adjusted it. Yes, there is remarkable change in the cooling. Actually, I realized it late. Cooling was perfect when it was new. For past some time it got declined. Must have been due to that hot air , now its cooling fast and thick.
This is a common issue, did you see how they adjusted. Seems like a DIY since they didnt take much time and dont think they will remove the whole dash for it (too much work).
Old 4th April 2011, 10:52   #3198
BHPian

Gave my Safari 4x4 for the 60K service at Autolinks (GGN). This was after my recent trip for the Desert Storm. Driving through all that slush of the White rann, and the sands of the Thar took a toll on the 4 wheel switching mechanism. Issues faced and resolution:

1. 4H engaging on its own while driving in 2H. This started happening quite often after i had the underbody washed at Barmer to wash off all the mud that had stuck to the underbody. Temporary resolution was to ensure the vehicle is in 2H, and then remove the Transfer case fuse (in the fuse box below the dash) while driving on highways. When 4H/4L was needed, put the fuse back and use the 4x4.
Resolution: The workshop checked all the wiring (the switch connections are on underbody i presume, and hence the underbody wash may have left moisture causing false shifts. They cleaned the sensors and the contact points. The false shift hasn't happened in the past 200 kms after driving.

2. The differential was make a kad-kad noise whenever the vehicle would march from standstill or on an uneven surface and also while turning on slow speeds.
Resolution: LSD lock kit changed under EW.

3. While braking there was a grinding/growling noise from the front. Noise would start coming only when the brake was fully depressed and as the car was about to come to a completer halt.
Resolution: The brake pad were cleaned and the disc were checked, but the noise persisted. They zeroed in on the hubs (i wasn't convinced that its the hubs) and opened them and re-greased both the hubs. The noise went away, but returned after about 100 kms. Asked them to check once again, and they examined the hubs, and a claim was placed for replacement of hubs under EW along with the LSD kit for the diff). Each hubs costs 11K, making the total estimate including the LSD kit to around 30K.
The insurance company sent a surveyor and although he agreed upon the LSD kit, he did not agree upon the hubs saying normal wear'n'tear and all the usual jargon. Kudos to the service advisor, he kept the car for an extra week, and called the surveyor again, and got the hubs done under EW. Since there was a week's delay to get the hubs (out of stock), i took the car, and would get them done on my next service (as they have been issued to be replaced).

4. This issue cropped after the service. The car would crawl on the an incline with parking brake full engaged. Initially after service there was no bite in the braking too. While taking a testdrive i discovered this crawling behavior. They reduced the number of ratchets it takes to full apply the parking brakes. The braking improved, but the crawl is still there. I can count 8 ratchet clicks to before i cant pull the lever further.
What could be the problem and a possible resolution for this?
Old 4th April 2011, 11:29   #3199
Team-BHP Support

Good you are getting everything under EW!
As for hand brake. you gotta live with it. It works great sometimes, and not so great the other times. I think on the next service you would need to open the hubs and dry air blast will remove the debris and then things would be back to normal.
At 60K service I also got the rear brake shoes cleaned, and things are much better after that
Old 4th April 2011, 17:29   #3200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is a common issue, did you see how they adjusted. Seems like a DIY since they didnt take much time and dont think they will remove the whole dash for it (too much work).
Dadu, your guess is correct. Though was not done infront of me, but, replaced nothing, some DIY kind of thing. After I told the advisor this on phone, in an hr or so he called back, that vehicle is OK.
Old 5th April 2011, 12:12   #3201
BHPian

My vehicle has done 40K now. Last week i started heading some rattling sound under the hood. Next morning i was on way to TASS. Almost 2 kms close to the TASS i was shocked to smell something burning like rubber. Immediately stopped and opened the hood. I could see some fumes from the alternator which smelt like wires burning. Immediately plugged out the battery and called helpline.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:09   #3202
BHPian

Alternator issue continued:

TASS said Alternator bearing got damaged and parts of the bearing eat up some of the coil. So its a new alternator and approx costs 14K (no extended warranty). I am surprised that the alternator is gone in just 3 yrs. Some early warning signs i ignored are

- Sometimes when i turned fog lights, the headlights used to dim erratically.
- engine sign came up couple of times
- AC was cut off few times on peak load

All of the above can be attributed to impending trouble with the alternator according to TASS. If i had come early when these happened they would have detected the issue and would have replaced the bearing (by Lucas service). Not sure if that is true tho..

Hope this helps others...
Old 5th April 2011, 13:16   #3203
Team-BHP Support

Throw the extended warranty booklet at them. Its covered under extended warranty, no matter what they say!
Old 5th April 2011, 15:55   #3204
BHPian

Tsk, i meant i have no extended warranty..
Old 10th April 2011, 09:18   #3205
BHPian

After taking delivery of the 4x4 on the 1st, I have discovered that there is severe clutch burning smell when I reverse the vehicle. It happened a couple of days back and then happened again yesterday. No smell when the vehicle is driven forward.

Is this going to cost me a bomb? Vehicle has been driven 36xx kms. till date. Any chances of this being covered under warranty? Shillong is a hill station and all roads in the city have inclines. However, this problem was never there before I got the vehicle back after the accident!

Last edited by SumitB : 10th April 2011 at 09:19.
Old 10th April 2011, 09:39   #3206
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sumit, clutch is normally not covered under warranty. Even if there is a problem with the reverse gear, the A.S.S would cover that problem, but not the clutch itself.
Old 10th April 2011, 09:47   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Sumit, clutch is normally not covered under warranty. Even if there is a problem with the reverse gear, the A.S.S would cover that problem, but not the clutch itself.
So any ballpark figure that I should be prepared for in case the clutch needs to be changed?
Old 10th April 2011, 12:06   #3208
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
So any ballpark figure that I should be prepared for in case the clutch needs to be changed?
It depends. it can range from 10k to 14k. Clutch disk around 4k.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:36   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Dear Owners,

My safari has clocked 78K kms as of now. I wanted to go in for a suspension overhaul. Being a total novice with the technical details, and so as to have some knowledge when i take the SUV to the TASS, can you tell me what does a suspension overhaul involve? What parts need to be checked? And what about the costs?

Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 14:43   #3210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Dear Owners,

My safari has clocked 78K kms as of now. I wanted to go in for a suspension overhaul. Being a total novice with the technical details, and so as to have some knowledge when i take the SUV to the TASS, can you tell me what does a suspension overhaul involve? What parts need to be checked? And what about the costs?

Thanks
check posts by JKdas, he had done this last year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks