Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:14   #3166
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to check, I am putting a K&N Filter in my Safari 2.2 and the filter i am putting is the which comes for the Subaru Forrestor. I was told by the reliance Autozone guys that it is approved by the Tata Guys to put this filter, The fit in the Air filter Box is perfect. Any comments please.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:15   #3167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswings View Post
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to check, I am putting a K&N Filter in my Safari 2.2 and the filter i am putting is the which comes for the Subaru Forrestor. I was told by the reliance Autozone guys that it is approved by the Tata Guys to put this filter, The fit in the Air filter Box is perfect. Any comments please.
Hey there

Thats interesting piece of information. Can you please put some photographs of this K&N filter ?
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:12   #3168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its okay, no issues. Drain your radiator every 60,000kms.
Thank you. Will get it changed after 60k.
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:40   #3169
BHPian

Hey guys,

I want to change the headlights+fog lights and want to put those brighter lights or ones with the white light outputs, my car is still under warranty so can there be any issues with the warranty, and which brighter headlight option do you suggest?
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:29   #3170
BHPian

@moodswings, I have been told the same thing by the Autozone guys in bangalore too. But I don't think its been approved by TATA, the size of the filter is not the same (height is less). I know someone who has been using this filter for quite some time now.
I really doubt the performance gain is justified the price 4.5K.
Old 24th March 2011, 08:59   #3171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1, The entire clutch place assembly changed.
//was there a need? Did you cross check?
2. my Turbo sensor at the air filter wires have some issue from the last year and the turbo sometimes works and sometimes doent. I asked the Dhingra guys in Gurgaon and they said i will need to replace the entire wiring of the engine bay as there is no separate part for the Turbo senson.
//bloody! I had the same issue some time ago but it got solved some how and I also thought it happened coz battery terminal was loose.

3. I have gotten the timing belt changed twice(it broke) and its due for a change again as the dealer ship guys tol me to get it changed every 20K kms.// Eh? Wasnt this changed for older 2.2's as it was faulty? 20k change? Come on!
4. There r so many rattling noises from the car that it gets seriously irritating sometimes, however i have succeeded to stop 90% of them.
//Where all?

I would be really thankful if someone could help me with the Turbo-Sensor issue as it results in a lot of power drop and it takes away the thrill of driving the 2.2.

Regards,
Preet
Check my posts regarding this elsewhere in this thread.
Old 25th March 2011, 13:19   #3172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
I want to change the headlights+fog lights and want to put those brighter lights or ones with the white light outputs, my car is still under warranty so can there be any issues with the warranty, and which brighter headlight option do you suggest?
No issues with warranty validity if you retain the 60/55 configuration. Go for Osram Nightbreakers or Philips X-treme Power. I have changed to the latter and am quite happy with the results.
Old 25th March 2011, 15:52   #3173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am putting a K&N Filter in my Safari 2.2 and the filter i am putting is the which comes for the Subaru Forrestor. . The fit in the Air filter Box is perfect. Any comments please.
If it is a drop-in and does not need any modifications, then you can go for it. I dont think Tata guys will object to it. But just make sure that they dont replace at a s regular item when you for servicing.

What kind of filter is it ? Do you have a pic of the filter from the Forrestor ?

Last edited by condor : 25th March 2011 at 16:06.
Old 26th March 2011, 08:11   #3174
BHPian

The coolant level in my safari is going down gradually every day. This started after they replaced the coolant temperature sensor. During the change, they drained some coolant from the radiator to a can (which was not clean by the way), put it back in the radiator after the replacement, and added fresh 1 ltr coolant in the reservoir with water.

There is no visible leakage. Engine oil is also clean. What could be the reason?
Old 26th March 2011, 10:16   #3175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The coolant level in my safari is going down gradually every day. This started after they replaced the coolant temperature sensor. During the change, they drained some coolant from the radiator to a can (which was not clean by the way), put it back in the radiator after the replacement, and added fresh 1 ltr coolant in the reservoir with water.

There is no visible leakage. Engine oil is also clean. What could be the reason?
Could be the water body leaking. Sometimes when the water body developes a leak, it leaks coolant very slowly. Because this part is below the timing belt, it is also difficult to spot the leaking coolant.

The same was the issue with my SUV recently. I survived a leaking water body for around 4 months by adding water regularly to fill the reservoir. No body could say the car was leaking coolant, but the coolant levael would fall in the reservoir every alternate day.
Old 26th March 2011, 14:04   #3176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If it is a drop-in and does not need any modifications, then you can go for it. I dont think Tata guys will object to it. But just make sure that they dont replace at a s regular item when you for servicing.

What kind of filter is it ? Do you have a pic of the filter from the Forrestor ?
Condor,
I will post the pics by tomorrow afternoon....cheers
Old 26th March 2011, 14:17   #3177
BHPian

Hey Guys,

As my 2.2 has reached the 60K mark I am going in for some mods:
1. As i discussed earlier i am putting a K&N filter.
2. I am changing the rear Brake drums to Brake Discs.(I will post the details and Pictures as soon as they r in Place.
3. I am going in for the Chip Express 2.2 Diesel tuning Box. Link Below:
Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT 140 PS 320 Nm | Diesel Tuning with CHIP Express™
Will Post details when its done.
4. Change the Shocks and if necessary the Springs too, to match the xtra HP.
5. A body Kit(Not too sure about this one as the front looks good but the rear kind of sucks)

The above should be done in the next 2-3 months(Finances and Time)

The Change in the Interior and ICE will follow in the next 4-5 Months.

Will post pics when this one is ready to Rock On. I am giving back to my 2.2 after it has served me for 3 years, MidLife Makeover.

Thanks
Preet
moodswings is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2011, 14:36   #3178
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@moodswings - Since yours is a non ABS model do you really think safari needs that extra power, as with the kind of weight, braking is a problem area. You should consider ABS too in your upgrade.

Last edited by v&v : 26th March 2011 at 14:37.
Old 26th March 2011, 15:00   #3179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
...consider ABS too in your upgrade.
ABS is not an upgradeable item for after-market fitment, but a factory-fitted OE. Retrofitment of ABS is not easily feasible, nor advised.
Old 26th March 2011, 15:37   #3180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Could be the water body leaking. Sometimes when the water body developes a leak, it leaks coolant very slowly. Because this part is below the timing belt, it is also difficult to spot the leaking coolant.

The same was the issue with my SUV recently. I survived a leaking water body for around 4 months by adding water regularly to fill the reservoir. No body could say the car was leaking coolant, but the coolant levael would fall in the reservoir every alternate day.
How expensive it is to repair water pump body?

Could it be related to bleeding? since they opened the radiator and replaced some of the coolant, is it possible that there was some air trapped and the system is replacing the air with coolant?

Last edited by sumannandy : 26th March 2011 at 16:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks