Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2011, 17:25   #3106
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
thank you very much for your reply. Diesel was leaking from the pump for the past one year. First they charged me Rs. 7k-8k for pump seal replacement etc. Now they replaced the head. Diesel leakage problem is gone but the engine is extremely rough.

I will have them reset the injector pressure at the earliest and post the update.

These guys have no idea on what they are talking about. First they said that the car was running without pump recalibration all these days. Now that they have calibrated the pump, there would be a noise.

My car is a TCIC with a Bosch pump. Looks like they have already overcharged me. I have spent close to Rs. 15k on the pump.
Sorry to break your heart but let me tell you the next problem you will face.
Your engine compression will reduce and you may also face higher engine oil consumption. You will have to replace piston & piston rings and maybe the sleeve too. Do get the TASS to do a compression test done to ensure that the engine compression is the same after head replacement.

Goodluck.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:16   #3107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Your engine compression will reduce and you may also face higher engine oil consumption. You will have to replace piston & piston rings and maybe the sleeve too. Do get the TASS to do a compression test done to ensure that the engine compression is the same after head replacement.

Goodluck.
I think he is not talking of engine head but some component of the fuel pump.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:19   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post

Goodluck.
The problem is with the fuel injection pump which was leaking and probably gone wrong with pump to engine timing while refitting it on the vehicle. Nothing to do with the engine side.
Old 11th February 2011, 20:38   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......Now they replaced the head.
Sorry guys, my point was because he mentioned head in his quote. I dont know of any other head in the engine bay where the injectors sit. And I do know for a fact that a head replacement does cause reduction in engine compression requiring a change of piston & rings & also sleeve.
Old 12th February 2011, 13:16   #3110
BHPian

Sorry guys, it is totally my fault in the way it was written. They replaced the pump head, not the engine head. And the sound is coming from engine (although reduced after 2-3 days of usage).

The A.S.S. was initially asking me to clean the injector, but finally they accepted that there may be a problem with timing and they will take a look at it as soon as I get the car to their workshop.

My question - is it okay to drive like this for some time or is it required to get it attended at the earliest? Do we need to observe any precaution?

Last edited by sumannandy : 12th February 2011 at 13:20.
Old 12th February 2011, 14:10   #3111
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys, it is totally my fault in the way it was written. They replaced the pump head, not the engine head.
========
My question - is it okay to drive like this for some time or is it required to get it attended at the earliest? Do we need to observe any precaution?

Its ok if you are going to get it done after some time. Only thing is that the engine ma sound a bit harsh. No side effects.
Old 14th February 2011, 19:21   #3112
BHPian

Thank you. Will get it attended tomorrow or day after.

The left turn indicator is also not working at high beam. They did replace the steering column but did not bother to check if the turn indicators are working properly.

A return trip to Concorde from my home costs approximately Rs. 100 and a couple of hours due to traffic to electronic city. And I don't feel like opting for the free pick up and drop option because of the way they drive the vehicle. Looks like I will loose one more day for the service center not doing their work properly.
Old 15th February 2011, 07:35   #3113
Senior - BHPian

Jerks / Gasping Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
I have no clue as to what is causing it, but somehow feel that the turbo hose going into the intercooler (redpipe) may hold a clue.
Guys having intermittent gasping issue, kindly please check the clamp directly below the turbo, on the pipe which is orange in color and goes to the intercooler.
Mine got lose again, since the last time post when I tightened. Seems like Pandora Box to me

is the leaking boost pressure from this point the mother of all causes we face (jerking/gasping ) ? only TASS will tell
Old 15th February 2011, 08:05   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Rahul,

can you post a pic please if you dont mind.

thanks
Old 15th February 2011, 20:41   #3115
BHPian

Re: TATA Safari TCIC Maintenance Cost

not TCIC but I have a 3L DICOR. Does anyone know where I can get rear bumper except TASS. They are quoting about Rs 5500 which seems high to me. I need one urgently and I am in Hyderabad..
Old 16th February 2011, 21:25   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Rahul,

can you post a pic please if you dont mind.

thanks
Hi

Sorry i don't have any pictures

Very simple in 2.2, the orange pipe is directly below the turbocharger.

On querying around, i have come across many instances of cracked pipe of the inter-cooler and leaky orange hose pipes.

Now this gets even more quirkier, the turbo looses boost, which causes gasping problem.
  1. Could it be the faulty vacuum pipes, pneumatic hoses or cracks ?
  2. Vaccum leaks under boost, which suddenly cuts off the vaccum applied to VNT ???
  3. Confused & Buggy ECU ?
Experts please share your opine..

Thanks

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 16th February 2011 at 21:28.
Old 18th February 2011, 07:02   #3117
BHPian

They worked on the car yesterday. All the problems were resolved except the indicator problem. The pick up has increased and the car is also silent. I can easily drive to 40kmph at 2500 rpm (approx.) at an incline, earlier it used to be 3000 rpm.

They also fixed the door light and the door lock, although I did not ask for it.
Old 18th February 2011, 07:18   #3118
BHPian

Quote:
They worked on the car yesterday. All the problems were resolved except the indicator problem. The pick up has increased and the car is also silent. I can easily drive to 40kmph at 2500 rpm (approx.) at an incline, earlier it used to be 3000 rpm.

They also fixed the door light and the door lock, although I did not ask for it.

Cheers & Enjoy the drive
Old 18th February 2011, 13:17   #3119
BHPian

Update, TASS agreed to replace the injectors with a new one, big relief !
The turbo pipe failed again (3rd time) and they are planning to replace it. They canvassed for some interior cleaning and stuff for which i said no. Will update once the car is back.

However, they are still unable to answer why the injectors failed !
Old 2nd March 2011, 07:29   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jerks / Gasping Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Guys having intermittent gasping issue, kindly please check the clamp directly below the turbo, on the pipe which is orange in color and goes to the intercooler.
Mine got lose again, since the last time post when I tightened. Seems like Pandora Box to me

is the leaking boost pressure from this point the mother of all causes we face (jerking/gasping ) ? only TASS will tell
Well Thanks CRDIsamir you have pointed the root cause of jerks/intermittent gasps and black smoke.

The FP pressure at crank is 1100 bars of my vehicle, which should be ideally between 1600 - 1800bars which is not so good sign of a healthy FP. As i understood, the pressure will deteriorate further. Then a time will come when the vehicle will take long cranks to start, black smoke and what not and a Hefty repair bill.

The FP has limited warranty of 2 yrs after which extended wrty kicks in which again you know aint cheaper option. Well, guys have ur pump pressure checked out, along with Injector Back Leak tests

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 2nd March 2011 at 07:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks