Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 07:29   #3061
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
The Woes of the "Quality Checked" TATA vehicles continues . I bought a new 2.2 VTT this Monday . Today while getting the ICE -Ing done , happened to open the bonnet and Boy o Boy , what I see , white splashes all over the place as if something has been leaking and sprinkling all over the place . The vehicle has been giving constant jerks on low tourques around 40's . I had been thinking of this the usual TATA problem , but this white limestone kind of spray all under the hood has created distress .

Would be visiting the TASS first thing tomorrow morning . What could be it ? Please pour in your generous replies .
Please post some pictures to help you
Old 1st February 2011, 11:29   #3062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Well Rahul , don't have the pictures currently , but investigating today morning the splashes seemed to be greenish in color . I am afraid the leaking coolant from somewhere would be the culprit .

The quantity of the Coolant reservoir seemed to be low than usual .The temperature needle reads to the halfway mark only .I had inspected the vehicle while taking delivery and the quantity was correctly placed between the Min - Max levels .

Also the vehicle seems to be giving jerks at low speeds , with high puff of smoke from the exhaust when recovering , quite visible on the side mirror. No problems at all on speeds in excess of 50 with 4 gear upawards .

Please note that no warning lights are displayed on the console from the ECU .

The guy contacted from the dealership has suggested to leave the vehicle for a day to test what is wrong with it . I won't be available to do that before Sat/Sun .

Guys please suggest if its ok to drive like this for a couple of days . Also would it be ok to top up the reservoir with Water for the time being as with other vehicles .

Please pour in .

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 1st February 2011 at 11:31.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:35   #3063
BHPian

Guys,

I need help with diesel leakage. Diesel is leaking only when the outside temperature is low. Bosch engineers asked me to replace the head (cost Rs. 12k, they are providing with 50% discount for no warranty plus 1200 labor from Tata). According the them the thread is damaged. The lower part of the pump was already overhauled.

If the thread is damaged, shouldn't it leak diesel all the time regardless of the temperature? They are be trying to make some money here may be?

The car was inspected by Bosch senior engineer.

Appreciate your help. Everyday I am loosing close to 0.5-1 ltr diesel if the outside temperature is low. However, when the car is warmed up, there is no leakage.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:54   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Update Regarding Replacement of Immobilizer in New Safari

Today I gave my Safari for second free service after completing 5200 Kms on ODO. During discussion with SA SaranaAppa (KHT Motors) I came to know that TML ordered replacement of Immobilizers in new Safaris. Since, there is no immobilizer in my Safari (LX Version) so it may not happen to me.

It was reported to me that it is related to powerloss issue in Safari (But I did not understand).

Request all new Safari owners (EX, GX, VX) to get in touch with their TASS and inquire more about immobilizer replacement.

PS: I do not know New Safari means how much new (I do not know date period).
Old 1st February 2011, 21:36   #3065
Senior - BHPian

Re: Update Regarding Replacement of Immobilizer in New Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
TML ordered replacement of Immobilizers in new Safaris.
It was reported to me that it is related to powerloss issue in Safari (But I did not understand).
Woah.. that's an incredible analogy i have ever heard from TML. Waiting on the details to unfold. Is it so that there are some issues with the relays ?
Old 1st February 2011, 21:58   #3066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post

Coolant it is buddy....the green liquid turns white after drying...most probably the ball joint has leaked and will be replaced in warranty...it costs only about Rs 450 anyways....

a generous wash and all will be gone...dont worry

The ball joint also has the thermostat in it which in safari seems to be of poor quality...

I think just top up coolant and its good to drive.....no signs will show on the dash and there wont be any other issues...

Last edited by rajismine : 1st February 2011 at 22:00.
Old 1st February 2011, 23:00   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Alternator issue is back! Bro took the Safari to Salem and called up saying rpm meters fluctuates.

He got it checked with local TASS but see they find the alternator is pumping out enough current ( he said he saw 180 or so digit in some meter they connected and tested) and hence seems alternator isnt dead or so. Seems they might investigate more tomorrow.

Any idea what this can be? Lose wiring connection? I had driven across no road-road (kind of flew over) and hence was wondering if it can be a wiring issue.
Old 2nd February 2011, 00:40   #3068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Alternator issue is back! Bro took the Safari to Salem and called up saying rpm meters fluctuates.
Could it be Kerosene ? I also got same fluctuation issue in Dec 2009 at Salem had filled 100 KM from Salem during tank cleaning found that it was pure kerosene. Performnce wasn't affected as i was driving above 130 till Bangalore.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:04   #3069
Senior - BHPian

jkdas:
Seems like an overcharging alternator. Mine was showing very similar symptoms. The problem was it was normal most of the time and this spike would come only once in a while, but the frequency kept increasing. After repeated busted lamps, check engine light came on whenever it spiked. The electrical guys checked it and gave it a clean chit because it was behaving normally most of the other times. Mine is a 3.0 by the way.

The Safari is with Tata right now. Thank god for extended warranty. Otherwise a hit of about Rs 5k for alternator overhaul.
Old 2nd February 2011, 03:12   #3070
Senior - BHPian

Amit n Drifter, i think the cutout of the alternator is acting up in your cases as it happened to my 3.0 few months ago and resulted in blown up lamps and suddently increased voltage etc

everytime it happened the Engine light came and if i am driving on High beam the bulbs will blow but no problem with low beam.

they changed the cutout for something like 2000 Rs and its ok since last 2-3 weeks, though i got my battery changed too as it was 4.5 yrs old.

good luck and keep us posted.
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:39   #3071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Could it be Kerosene ? I also got same fluctuation issue in Dec 2009 at Salem had filled 100 KM from Salem during tank cleaning found that it was pure kerosene. Performnce wasn't affected as i was driving above 130 till Bangalore.
I too think that its adulterated diesel - faced the same once in initial days of ownership - the rpm needle oscillated @ neutral - and Service Adviser at TASS suggested its adulterated fuel with Kerosene.

Changed the Pump - and has never occurred again
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:55   #3072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

Request all new Safari owners (EX, GX, VX) to get in touch with their TASS and inquire more about immobilizer replacement.

PS: I do not know New Safari means how much new (I do not know date period).
Thanks for this info Anuj, though I too do not understand how immobilizer has anything to do with the hiccup issue. On top of that, LX dont have immobilizer but have hiccup issue.
I will check with Mr.Saranappa.
And if they change immobilizer, I guess physical key also will change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Also the vehicle seems to be giving jerks at low speeds , with high puff of smoke from the exhaust when recovering , quite visible on the side mirror. No problems at all on speeds in excess of 50 with 4 gear upawards .
This is a known issue that you are referring to I think, called the hiccup/power loss/jerk issue. Just try revving the engine to 3k rpm and keep it there either while running or in neutral for 10-15 seconds and it might help. It helps me and I do it now and then when running itself. (anyway it is a pleasure to see her sprint like mad at 3K rpm)

What I think is people who rev their Safaris hard and power through the gears usually have very less occurrence of this issue, whereas people who drive her softly and mostly under 2k rpm feel it much more... Just my view.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:10   #3073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Amit n Drifter, i think the cutout of the alternator is acting up in your cases
No I cited more then 1 year old incidence and it got solved after tank and fuel line cleaning and did not reoccur. It was due to adulterated fuel as the fuel was clearly bluesh in color indicating PDS kerosene. I filled at middle of no where
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:45   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Could it be Kerosene ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
jkdas:
Seems like an overcharging alternator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Amit n Drifter, i think the cutout of the alternator is acting up in your cases as it happened to my 3.0 few months ago and resulted in blown up lamps and suddently increased voltage etc

good luck and keep us posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishlesh View Post
I too think that its adulterated diesel - faced the
Thanks guys

1) Engine light never comes up and I dont have blown headlamps ( and hence no overcharging?)
2) Bro didnt fill diesel from Salem. He filled it from Cochin and he said he say the issue enroute to Salem and hence I don't think its fuel too.

He is leaving the Safari at TASS and I just spoke to the SE. I asked him about cutout but he says they didnt see over charging when they checked and infact doubt if its pumping out enough output power.

What they intend to do is take the alternator out and give to TVS/Bosch to check and change only the relevant part.

Will keep you all updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post

What I think is people who rev their Safaris hard and power through the gears usually have very less occurrence of this issue, whereas people who drive her softly and mostly under 2k rpm feel it much more... Just my view.
Guess so
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:25   #3075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Yeah yeah , but my baby is in the run-in period , can't rev it hard beyond 2k RPM . The power after crossing the 2 K line is just . Moreover I was just trying to drive her soft , though can't resist the urge to hit the gas pedal .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks