Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 10:31   #3046
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Looks like time to change the battery. Would get it checked in 1-2 days and post update. Thanks SS
You're welcome. Do it ASAP before the car refuses to start at all one fine morning.
Old 27th January 2011, 15:24   #3047
Senior - BHPian

Safari 4x4 variant

Guys,

This might be slightly OT as it is not exactly a 'problem'.

One of my friends is planning to buy a SUV and facing the classic 'Safari or Scorpio' dilemma. He is keen on 4WD and I told him that both Safari and Scorpio offer 4WD in their respective top-end variants only. This is based on my understanding from the various posts on TBHP, although Safari website still talks about 4WD options for all variants except LX.

He visited one of the TATA MOTORS showrooms in Bangalore today and was told that Safari is not available in 4WD at all. This was news to me!! Anyone else heard this?

Mods: Please move this post to another thread, if needed.

Last edited by cool_dube : 27th January 2011 at 15:26.
Old 27th January 2011, 16:15   #3048
BHPian

Re: Safari 4x4 variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

He visited one of the TATA MOTORS showrooms in Bangalore today and was told that Safari is not available in 4WD at all. This was news to me!! Anyone else heard this?

I bought Safari VX 4x4 3 weeks back in Pune. That time they told my it was only available in VX pearl white. I also went through the same dilemma and reached Safari as conclusion based on thumb rule
"Safari is better on highways or no-ways (hence the 4x4), scorpio on city roads"
Old 27th January 2011, 16:26   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
I guess most Safaris experience this problem, and some have rectified it by getting the dove tail joint fixed.. Newer safaris have this joint coming as default from factory I think.

Off topic, by the way, did anyone notice the 4-5 Safaris leading and trailing the Prime Minister's motorcadce in yesterday's republic day celebrations at Delhi? A sight to see. :-)
My Safari also has this rattle, it is not the squeak but more like dhup-dhup. It comes from the left side. During first service i mentioned it as TAAS and they tried adding a metal washer to the lock latch and adjusted the silencer clamps. I think it has reduced a bit. But, still there. I guess Safari owners have to learn to live with it. I do plan to bug TAAS again when I visit them next

Yep, I also noticed the Safaris in PM's motorcade. I thought it may always be there and may be noticing it now because I am a recent owner of a Safari
Old 27th January 2011, 19:44   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I found the clock resetting at the time of my morning restart. Looks like time to change the battery. Would get it checked in 1-2 days and post update. Thanks SS
Check if it is not a loose terminal.
Old 28th January 2011, 21:50   #3051
Senior - BHPian

Off late
When I start off in morning and evening i can hear very crisp and clear whistle from Turbo. This is available < 2000 rpm.

Trouble ???
Old 29th January 2011, 10:12   #3052
BHPian

Hello friends.

I have 2 queries regarding my Tata Safari GX 2010

1st Problem
I completed my 5kms and 2nd free service. During submission I had an issue with power windows driver and passenger side [as those two get used most] not rolling up cleanly. In brief they used to stop mid way during operation and I had to reclick them 2 - 5 times to get them up. I informed this problem to the supervisor who told me that the particular thing happens because with use the window bidding accumulates dust and hence after cleaning it will be fine. After the service the windows operated fine for 5 - 6 days but now again the problem has resurfaced in a similar manner. I regularly up and down windows for letting out inner stale air and the window which I use most, seems to garner the problem quickly. What could be the issue

2nd Problem

Last night due to untimely death of my very young friend I had to go to Thane to attend his funeral. On my way I stopped a few minutes for the unmentionables. I switched off the A/c, lights as I always do before alighting my car. On entering my car when i switched on the LOWER BEAM it did not turn on. However the HIGHER BEAM was working. I did not have time to troubleshoot so came back all the way on Higher beam. Surprisingly the Follow me Home feature was working [but i do not know if Follow Me Home uses Lower Beam or Higher Beam]

As is the case I researched on a few threads at team-bhp and found out that the issue could be with fuse, bulbs or the relay. This morning I checked the fuse for lower beam located under the hood. The fuse edges seemed a bit black. So to troubleshoot i installed a new fuse, but still the lower beam did not turn on.

I thought may be the bulbs have gone bust. Just as a passing thought i pulled out the Lower Beam Relay in the fuse box and pushed it back in. And Voila the lower beam turned on.

I want to ask

1>would the relay be faulty??
2>Did that service guy accidentally keep the relay loose??
3>Could driving on bumpy roads at fats speeds have dislodged the relay??
4>could the problem be something else??

On this particular drive I was using the upper dipper many times as is the ace with night drive.

I am going to run the car few days more before I will contact TASS

I want to ask why after every service there are more niggles than before.

Awaiting your generous replies

Regards

Last edited by lodhra : 29th January 2011 at 10:51.
Old 29th January 2011, 12:32   #3053
BHPian

@Rahulk76
Quote:
When I start off in morning and evening i can hear very crisp and clear whistle from Turbo. This is available < 2000 rpm.
That is quite normal. I have been hearing the whistle with no consequence since the time I bought the car. I hear that with other Safaris too.

When you keep the windows open, you will hear the turbo. Normally with closed windows it is less audible.

@Lodhra:

1. Sluggish Winding Motor. Check the beading of the windows for bulging. If the windows rubber beading looks normal, then it is the motor. Replacement is the only permanent cure. I changed them for my old TCIC Safari.

2. Head lamp relay is likely to be the culprit. For a new vehicle, it is rare to have the Relay socket problem. Relays are mechanical items which fail for no reason occasionally. TASS should clear both your issues within warranty.

Last edited by Prowler : 29th January 2011 at 12:36.
Old 29th January 2011, 13:30   #3054
BHPian

@Prowler

Thank you so much. I have a few more queries

The windshield problem occurs at both windows, driver and passenger. The back windows are never operated unless somebody is occupying those seats so never got to test them.

The more I use a window the more sluggish it becomes. So by your suggestion would Tata replace both the motors if the biddings is found to be okay

RELAY

What would Tata do here in terms of correction. Will they change the fuse box or just use a new relay switch.

Do you suggest I drive the car for few more days and if the Lower beam problem again arises i contact the TASS

I am asking this questions because I would like to get a definite answer from the TASS supervisor. I feel most of the times they are either ignorant of the issue or just to meet deadlines [Mine TASS projects that you can collect your car in 3 hours] they overlook the minor problems.

Its a mental torture to go to these TASS every now and then for small niggles.

Regards
Old 29th January 2011, 13:48   #3055
BHPian

Lodhra:

Yes. The more you use the winding, the more sluggish they become - suggesting that the motors are working harder and soon they will fail. Same thing happened to me with the passenger window and the driver window (they are the most used and so they develop fault sooner). I paid about Rs.2700 about 3 years earlier for each. Use your warranty to change them now.

I suggest that you attend to the Headlight issue at the first opportunity. Driving with only the High beam can be hazardous. When you have the warranty, you don't need to do the diagnosis for these simple issues. Leave it to the TASS. If possible stay with the car to see what they are doing. I am a madcap who sits with the car everytime it goes for a service - peace of mind for me.

Call up and fix an appointment (if you have a Gold membership about Rs500/- you get priority service with some discounts thrown in). I am sorry if I have mentioned the obvious. We all are busy with our day jobs and allocating time for our cars is difficult. But when you are in the highway and in the middle of nowhere it helps to know what had happened when your car had gone for service.
Old 29th January 2011, 14:03   #3056
BHPian

@Prowler

No buddy you mentioned what needs to be done. I had a gypsy earlier and I had to do all by myself as the mechanics did not understand a thing. I bough the Safari so that I can enjoy the car with peace of mind. My only issue was that why do not these TASS people attend the problems with care.

I called the TASS after your suggestion and fixed an appointment for Tuesday. I told them that the problem is recurring so probably they may have to look at the motors.

I hope i get the service done this time for good

Thank you so much
Old 29th January 2011, 14:19   #3057
BHPian

@Lodhra

Wow. That was real fast My Friend. Sit on them to complete both the job.
Old 31st January 2011, 15:17   #3058
BHPian

Re: Safari 4x4 variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

This might be slightly OT as it is not exactly a 'problem'.

One of my friends is planning to buy a SUV and facing the classic 'Safari or Scorpio' dilemma. He is keen on 4WD and I told him that both Safari and Scorpio offer 4WD in their respective top-end variants only. This is based on my understanding from the various posts on TBHP, although Safari website still talks about 4WD options for all variants except LX.

I have come out of the de-lima and now fixed myself on purchasing a tata safari. As you came to know, me too came to know from the salesperson @ concorde that 4x4 has been discontinued on EX and GX models. However I can still book VX 4x4. SO I think whichever showroom you visited have bluffed you.

Further since my budget is tight I am counting the cash I have. I will wait till the new 2011 Tata safari is launched. Seeing the Ads in TV's (lower prices) and no 4x4 I think the new Tata Safari around the corner.
Old 31st January 2011, 17:13   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Do you suggest I drive the car for few more days and if the Lower beam problem again arises i contact the TASS
If you open fuse box inside engine chamber you will see Lower Beam and Higher beam have separate relay and fuses. In you case it may happen that lower beam fuse got blown. You could easily replaced fuse and checked whether lower beam was working or not.
Chances of failure of relay is very less.

I suggest all owners of Safari at-least open both fuse boxes

1. Near Driving Seat
2. In Engine Chamber

and inspect all fuses and relays. It will help during such problems. There are spare fuses also available. If there is relay failure, you could have replaced higher beam relay with lower beam relay. It should have worked.
Old 1st February 2011, 01:32   #3060
BHPian

The Woes of the "Quality Checked" TATA vehicles continues . I bought a new 2.2 VTT this Monday . Today while getting the ICE -Ing done , happened to open the bonnet and Boy o Boy , what I see , white splashes all over the place as if something has been leaking and sprinkling all over the place . The vehicle has been giving constant jerks on low tourques around 40's . I had been thinking of this the usual TATA problem , but this white limestone kind of spray all under the hood has created distress .

Would be visiting the TASS first thing tomorrow morning . What could be it ? Please pour in your generous replies .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks