Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 20:42   #3016
AVR
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I recently got the timing belt of my Safari changed. I have observed that the IDLE rpm has increased by 100rpm. Does this signifies a problem? Also the car has become abit tighter. Please help as soon as possible.
In the TCIC, there is apparently a way to fix the idle speed by manual adjustment. Non-ECU engines have it simpler.

About it being tighter, what exactly do you mean?

Adi
Old 18th January 2011, 20:52   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
In the TCIC, there is apparently a way to fix the idle speed by manual adjustment. Non-ECU engines have it simpler.

About it being tighter, what exactly do you mean?

Adi
Being tighter, I meant that at a particular speed say 80kmph the car seems tobe a little bit more stressed (may be due to there is slight increase in engine noise now.).

BTW, have you got the timing belt changed?
Old 18th January 2011, 21:30   #3018
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Being tighter, I meant that at a particular speed say 80kmph the car seems tobe a little bit more stressed (may be due to there is slight increase in engine noise now.).

BTW, have you got the timing belt changed?
Does a very tight belt result in the loss of free-revving capabilities of an engine? Experts??

Yes I got it changed around 90K just as a preventive measure.
Old 18th January 2011, 22:33   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coolant Leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Anuj - please do report back here on cause of this issue and what they did to fix it.
Also if you are going to change clamps of hoses, would like to know which ones were changed and what would be approximate total cost.
Today I visited KHT and the culprit for coolant leaking is radiator cap. It was leaking from there and KHT replaced it with another cap. They said sometime aligning of cap disturbed and due to which coolant leaks during hot engine. There was mark of leaks at that place.

There was no leaks from any hoses though. SA said clamps of newer Safari improved compared to old. But I did not get what is actually changed?

Quote:
I would like to change all clamps as well if it might help in long run and sort of preventive maintenance.
I would also want to change clamps. But we need to get top quality clamps and type of all clamps that needs to be changed. Once I had bitter experience with our 15 day old Sumo DX 12 years back of which engine was sieged in mid jungle due to coolant leak at night 10 PM. Culprit was clamp of hose at the lower part of radiator.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:35   #3020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It could well some some debris lodged on the propeller shaft.
You should have asked them what exactly they did!
Changed the rear and front differential oil with Shell spirax G SAE 90 and the problem is gone. Obviously it is hard to find any link but there is no noise. The car drives smooth.

Quote:
I recently got the timing belt of my Safari changed. I have observed that the IDLE rpm has increased by 100rpm. Does this signifies a problem? Also the car has become abit tighter. Please help as soon as possible.
I have changed timing belt twice but never observed this problem.

My SA at Concorde suggested replacement of the steering column when they replaced the 'milling joint'. There is no problem as such. How did they know that the steering column needs replacement? Is it required to replace it with the other part?

Update on diesel leakage- Diesel is leaking from my safari for the past one year only during cold start, even after Concorde charged me aprpox Rs. 7k-8k for some work on the fuel pump. I was following up on it with Tata Motors regional service center and Bosch for the past one year. Finally, Bosch accepted that the original diagnostic was not correct and the head (Rs. 12k) needs to be replaced. They offered 50% discount on parts and 100% discount on labor but no warranty on parts.

I am wondering whether we should accept the offer or not.

Last edited by sumannandy : 19th January 2011 at 15:36.
Old 19th January 2011, 16:21   #3021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...car seems tobe a little bit more stressed (may be due to there is slight increase in engine noise now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Does a very tight belt result in the loss of free-revving capabilities of an engine? Experts??
Quote:
I recently got the timing belt of my Safari changed. I have observed that the IDLE rpm has increased by 100rpm...
No expert. However, if I am allowed to guess, tight belt means more rolling resistance (friction) to overcome causing engine to be stressed more. To keep up from stalling its RPM will increase a bit. Similar thing when you switch on AC compressor, RPM increases a bit. Looks normal physics to me .

-BJ
Old 20th January 2011, 14:36   #3022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

Update on diesel leakage- Diesel is leaking from my safari for the past one year only during cold start, even after Concorde charged me aprpox Rs. 7k-8k for some work on the fuel pump. I was following up on it with Tata Motors regional service center and Bosch for the past one year. Finally, Bosch accepted that the original diagnostic was not correct and the head (Rs. 12k) needs to be replaced. They offered 50% discount on parts and 100% discount on labor but no warranty on parts.

I am wondering whether we should accept the offer or not.
When the problem first came, was your vehicle under extended warranty? If so, then you should contact customer care. They should replace everything free of cost.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:04   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When the problem first came, was your vehicle under extended warranty? If so, then you should contact customer care. They should replace everything free of cost.
My vehicle is over 10 years old and it is not under any warranty.

But this time they are charging me warranty labor for the fuel pump tuning.

Problem is, it is clearly a fault from TATA/Bosch for not checking out the problem. I am not comfortable with the idea that they are not providing with any warranty for the new part.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:13   #3024
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
My vehicle is over 10 years old and it is not under any warranty.

But this time they are charging me warranty labor for the fuel pump tuning.

Problem is, it is clearly a fault from TATA/Bosch for not checking out the problem. I am not comfortable with the idea that they are not providing with any warranty for the new part.
All spare parts have a 1 year warranty. I am not sure if its true for TCIC, but for DICOR 3.0 and 2.2 it is true.
Old 21st January 2011, 13:49   #3025
BHPian

well, they changed the lower part while in reality it needed overhauling of upper part.

Now they are offering 50% discount of parts for the upper part but no warranty unless the full amount is paid.
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:06   #3026
BHPian

Got my Safari's first service yesterday. After that I drove back to home (some 10KM). I opened the hood to check the fluid levels and found the area was really hot. Even the water in the windshield fluid tank was warm. Is that normal?

I know the engine gets hot, but was surprised to see windshield water hot as that tank is in a corner
Old 25th January 2011, 13:03   #3027
BHPian

Tata Safari CLOCK keeps resetting itself!

I have 3 year old tata safari 2.2 VTT. Lately i have noticed that the time resets on the digital clock that is built in the front meter panel.

My assumption is that this is similar to the problem in computers, when the CMOS battery goes bad.

Any hints would help. Somebody knows where is the little battery in this car?
Or what might be done to resolve this problem?
Old 25th January 2011, 13:40   #3028
BHPian

Re: Car clock

I'm not so sure about the clock in Safari but on my 2 cars, there is no separate battery for the digital clock. The clock is powered by the vehicle's main battery and looses time settings whenever I disconnect the main battery/fuse.
Old 25th January 2011, 14:06   #3029
BHPian

@Digi vampire - yes sir, u sound perfectly right. There is no sense for a separate battery for the clock..

Now i am more confused, as to why the clock resets/looses time...My battery is connected all times, and is OK. though it is a little old now 3+ Yrs.
Old 25th January 2011, 14:21   #3030
BHPian

Looks like there could be a issue with a loose contact in the clock connections, since it generally resets only when you disconnect the battery. Somehow, the clock is temporarily loosing contact with the electrical system in the truck.

@Mods: Do you think this thread should be moved to the The Tata Safari 2.2L technical/Other problems/solutions Thread? A lot of people visit that thread and there is sure going to be more answers there?

Last edited by Kairalee : 25th January 2011 at 14:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks