Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 10:09   #3001
BHPian

Re: Coolant Leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Yesterday I found coolant in my Safari leaked a lot and it is dropped below MIN Level of coolant reservoir. I found few droplets in my parking and while checking I found some foam type of material completely soaked with coolant inside engine bay. I did not find leaking place one first glance. It needs more thorough inspection. Tomorrow I will take it to KHT for checking and correcting problem. I am not driving it today.

I am now searching one post by tsk1979 where he reported to change the clamps of all hoses. I have to actively think and do this as factory fitted clamps are seriously damaging reliability of Safari.
Anuj - please do report back here on cause of this issue and what they did to fix it.
Also if you are going to change clamps of hoses, would like to know which ones were changed and what would be approximate total cost.

I would like to change all clamps as well if it might help in long run and sort of preventive maintenance. (I dont have any problems though, she is at 7600kms and running like horse at its prime).

The rattle I reported earlier from rear door is not actually a rattle, but more of a squeak. I rectified it by plugging in a folded cloth neatly at the bottom where the door meets the body. An old trick I used to do in my Zen. :-)
Note: My safari does have the dove tail joint already, came as factory fitted.
Old 17th January 2011, 11:19   #3002
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post

Should the engine consume any oil at all in the first place ??
Quote:
Well here is how it goes:
Last month he drove 6000kms. The oil level went from the max position on the dipstick to below min, almost to the end of the dipstick. Oil level is checked in the morning after parking overnight in his apartment parking spot which is flat by all means.
How many kms has the vehicle done? If its a low mileage vehicle, it may well be a minor leak. The foam on the underbody cladding can usually swallow a liter of oil before it leaks. Moreover, there are some leaks which happen only when vehicle is revved. Mine had such a leak from the hosepipe. So after parking there would be no drops of oil, but I was losing oil quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
When I drive my car in 4wd, there is some sound coming from the front. No issues with shifting to 4H and 4L.

I don't use 4wd much. But there was no noise last time I used 4wd couple of months back.

A similar noise was there earlier when the TASS did something (cost me around Rs. 500) and the sound went off.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
What does your bill say? What exactly did they do?
Old 17th January 2011, 14:43   #3003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Anuj - please do report back here on cause of this issue and what they did to fix it.
Also if you are going to change clamps of hoses, would like to know which ones were changed and what would be approximate total cost.

I would like to change all clamps as well if it might help in long run and sort of preventive maintenance. (I dont have any problems though, she is at 7600kms and running like horse at its prime).

The rattle I reported earlier from rear door is not actually a rattle, but more of a squeak. I rectified it by plugging in a folded cloth neatly at the bottom where the door meets the body. An old trick I used to do in my Zen. :-)
Note: My safari does have the dove tail joint already, came as factory fitted.

Last month while driving on NH2, hose pipe of air came out due to loose clamp. 2 months back hose pipe of turbo came out. So last week i got all hose pipe tightened which should have been done while in 2nd service at A.S.S. This seems to be basic problem and I fear to take my bull on long drive now
Old 17th January 2011, 17:09   #3004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
+1 - please share. I too would want to go for this.
Old 17th January 2011, 17:30   #3005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Last month while driving on NH2, hose pipe of air came out due to loose clamp. 2 months back hose pipe of turbo came out. So last week i got all hose pipe tightened which should have been done while in 2nd service at A.S.S. This seems to be basic problem and I fear to take my bull on long drive now
How old is your safari. This problem used to be common earlier, and then a retrofix was done. Newer safari's should not have this problem.
Old 17th January 2011, 22:00   #3006
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The above symptom could be the possible cause.
1. But is it possible for over a liter of oil to disappear into the clutch bell housing.
2. What parts replacement will this require.? Will the clutch and pressure plate too have to be replaced?
3. Wont the driver get any burning oil smell while driving, if the oil enters the clutch bell housing?
Yes, big end bearing oil seal leakeage can make quite a substantial amount of oil disappear before it starts dripping out. Usual procedure is to replace the oil seal from the bell housing side, but some engines may require taking out from the engine bay. Not sure how it is with the Safari though.

No burning smell unless the car is running for hours with a slipping clutch. But is there clutch slippage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...it may well be a minor leak. The foam on the underbody cladding can usually swallow a liter of oil before it leaks.
That is another factor that can make oil disappear, but not appear as drops on the floor below a parked car. But then this car has already lost a couple of litres of oil, so there should have been some telltale marks on the floor where it's parked. Must check that foam.
Old 17th January 2011, 23:57   #3007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Yes, big end bearing oil seal leakeage can make quite a substantial amount of oil disappear before it starts dripping out. Usual procedure is to replace the oil seal from the bell housing side, but some engines may require taking out from the engine bay. Not sure how it is with the Safari though.

No burning smell unless the car is running for hours with a slipping clutch. But is there clutch slippage?

That is another factor that can make oil disappear, but not appear as drops on the floor below a parked car. But then this car has already lost a couple of litres of oil, so there should have been some telltale marks on the floor where it's parked. Must check that foam.

The foam is completely dry. We had checked that too and no oil spots at his parking spot either. A thorough once over was done and no visible oil leaks from any hoses in the engine bay could be spotted.

He says that sometimes when he floors the throttle on 4th or 5th gear the clutch seems to slip momentarily(engine revs with no power transmission), but when he releases the throttle a bit the slippage disappears and then his Safari pulls strongly. To note, that his Safari has run over 40k kms I guess.

Now it leads me to suspect that this may be the problem.

Now my question is ; How should he approach the TASS...??
Knowing them, if we tell them the possible diagnosis, they will make him replace the clutch & pressure plate too and make him pay for it.
Is it necessary to replace clutch & pressure plate in such a scenario ?

So what should be the ideal approach to the TASS. Earlier visits, they were unable to conclude anything. They topped up oil and asked him to observe the vehicle(which I think is just BS).

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 17th January 2011 at 23:59.
Old 18th January 2011, 09:09   #3008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now my question is ; How should he approach the TASS...??
Knowing them, if we tell them the possible diagnosis, they will make him replace the clutch & pressure plate too and make him pay for it.
Is it necessary to replace clutch & pressure plate in such a scenario?
Yeah - big problem - tell them what's wrong, and they'd want you to pay for it.

OTOH, mildly suggest that you can feel a slipping clutch, which may need investigation too, apart from the oil loss. That should prompt them to open up the clutch. Generally, the plates need a simple petrol wash and are good to go for the rest of their remaining life, once the oil leak is gone. Worst case, clutch friction plate may need changing - not the pressure plate. AFAIK that's not too expensive. Tanveer, what's the price for the friction plate please?
Old 18th January 2011, 11:23   #3009
Team-BHP Support

Is his safari under warranty. Then he does not have to worry. If oil is leaking into clutch and this has made the clutch go, insist on warranty. If they cause issues, then escalate to customer care.
But if safari is under extended warranty, then its a little difficult, but your extended warranty booklet clearly says only "wear and tear" of clutch/pressure plate is not covered.
Oil leaking into the clutch housing is very much covered.
That said, I doubt there is an issue related to oil in clutch. To test do the 5th gear test.
On a straight road, acclerate to 40, engage fifth gear, and see if she keeps driving smoothly on idle rpm.
If there are severe jerks and hiccups, then it means that the clutch is slipping.
A more extreme test is the handbrake 5th gear test.
Park the car, engage 5th gear and brakes.
Slow let go of clutch without pressing accelerator. If the vehicle stalls, your clutch is fine. If it does not, new clutch needed.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:27   #3010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To test do the 5th gear test.
On a straight road, acclerate to 40, engage fifth gear, and see if she keeps driving smoothly on idle rpm.
If there are severe jerks and hiccups, then it means that the clutch is slipping.
Should it not be other way round ? I mean vehicle should stall on low speed high gear I have never tested though.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:31   #3011
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Should it not be other way round ? I mean vehicle should stall on low speed high gear I have never tested though.
Most modern diesels can do 5th gear idle speed.
Infact in the chevy cruze in 5th gear at idle, your speed is close to 50kmph
Old 18th January 2011, 15:00   #3012
BHPian

Quote:

What does your bill say? What exactly did they do?
The bill says about servicing labor cost, nothing specific.

The sound is a periodic sound, like some rotating part hitting something periodically.
Old 18th January 2011, 15:22   #3013
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The bill says about servicing labor cost, nothing specific.

The sound is a periodic sound, like some rotating part hitting something periodically.
It could well some some debris lodged on the propeller shaft.
You should have asked them what exactly they did!
Old 18th January 2011, 18:22   #3014
BHPian

Quote:
How old is your safari. This problem used to be common earlier, and then a retrofix was done. Newer safari's should not have this problem.
I bought this in June 2010
Old 18th January 2011, 19:27   #3015
Senior - BHPian

I recently got the timing belt of my Safari changed. I have observed that the IDLE rpm has increased by 100rpm. Does this signifies a problem? Also the car has become abit tighter. Please help as soon as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks