Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:26   #2926
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I have also found 3-7kmph difference between GPS and safari....but sometimes GPS was higher and sometimes on the lower side....

And in any case, there is always a difference between actual and what the car shows on the meter... and its bound to be there in analogue meters,

I dont think this thing should be bothered about...GPS calculates digitally and car is analogue...

Look at it like this....Safari is so wonderfully fast that it can beat even a GPS sitting in it ha ha ha....Rajnikant style...
Old 2nd January 2011, 19:09   #2927
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,
I took delivery of my brand new GX 4X2 on the 29th of Dec. Yesterday, we went for a long drive. On the highway, i was trying to slot the car into the 5th Gear and i realised that there was complete play. The gear knob was rotating and no gears were getting slotted.

I am not much of an auto tech guy here. I realised that if i stop the car, i wont be able to keep it moving. Since it was the highway, i kept driving and was trying to contact the nearest Tata Service centre. With great difficulty, i reached there and i was told that some small Clip had snapped leading to the gears not getting engaged. He fitted some part and asked me to drive slowly back to Bangalore.

Has anyone experienced anything like this ? Can such a thing happen ? I am a bit worried. i shall be taking my new car to Concorde Service centre tomorrow. Shall keep you all posted, but meanwhile any thoughts / comments that i need to watch out for would be most welcome.
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:33   #2928
BHPian

Re: 4000Km Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Hi Verditer,

Regarding the Temp Needle not coming up, I too faced the same issue and while on the first service got the Transducer replaced, It is nothing but a small resistance placed near the engine and the air pump (used to pump out air when vehicle goes out of fuel) in the engine bay. TASS would change it under warranty, After almost 2 months of change, the needle is working perfect.

Regarding the usual Heart beat missing, mine was also missing and I got the ECU remapped in first service and since then, it has driven around 3000 Kms in 2 approx months and except some rare occasions, I have not felt the missing.
Hi Shantanu, thanks for the advise. Yes, during my second service last week, the transducer was replaced in mine too and temp gauge is working fine now.

I think I have to check if my ECU has latest version. That is one solution suggested for this issue. Another solution is to periodically rev to 4K for 15-30 seconds. I have tried the second solution and it 'seems' to be helping to an extent.

There was another Safari at Concorde the day my second service was done, for resolving the kitch-kitch noise from bonnet... They replaced his Turbocharges under warranty but when we went for test drive after the replacement, the occasional kitch-kitch noise was still there.. So it was decided the issue is not due to turbocharger and I think they are fitting back his old turbocharges as it is an expensive part.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:13   #2929
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am going to change all 4 tyres of my Safari by this weekend.

The SUV has already run 71,000 kms and this is the first tyre change. At the same time there is now a very prominent pull towards the left hand side. This left ward pulls only gets exaggerated on pressing the brakes.

I wanted to ask the experts apart from wheel balancing and allignment is there any other suspension related work that should be done when I switch to new tyres? I mean is there a list of recommended practices or steps or good to do things that should be done when one switches to new tyres?

Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:39   #2930
BHPian

Re: 4000Km Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
There was another Safari at Concorde the day my second service was done, for resolving the kitch-kitch noise from bonnet... They replaced his Turbocharges under warranty but when we went for test drive after the replacement, the occasional kitch-kitch noise was still there.. So it was decided the issue is not due to turbocharger and I think they are fitting back his old turbocharges as it is an expensive part.
Thanks for the update regarding Temp Gauge,

Now coming to the Kitch-Kitch sound, is it more alike two live wires touching each other? I also faced this issue and the issue still persists, although is reduced a lot, however, now I know how to reproduce it and am just waiting for the second service to get this corrected.

The Kitch-Kitch sound is reproduced in my car, if I go to a higher gear in low speed, lets say 5th gear at 45-50 kmph, the sound would be present. Also note that this is again irratic, no guarantee that it would definitely be produced, but in mine, 80% of the time, I was able to reproduce the sound.
If possible, can you pls check this and let me know. Also, Gurus can probably throw some more light in this.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:54   #2931
BHPian

kitch-kitch noise from bonnet ---- Thats a sound from the EGR if I am not wrong...
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:05   #2932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Thanks for the update regarding Temp Gauge,

Now coming to the Kitch-Kitch sound, is it more alike two live wires touching each other? I also faced this issue and the issue still persists, although is reduced a lot, however, now I know how to reproduce it and am just waiting for the second service to get this corrected.
Yes Shantanu, we are talking about the same noise from front right side (driver side) of bonent that shows up now and then, when up/down shifting the moment you press clutch.
Yes, very inconsistent one. The power lag also shows up during this time mostly, but I've heard this noise without powerlag, so think both are not related/could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
kitch-kitch noise from bonnet ---- Thats a sound from the EGR if I am not wrong...
rajismine, yes many people here have reported that this is the EGR sound.. During second service last week, I was able to reproduce this sound to the SA at Concord Hosur Road, but he said it is normal and is from turbocharger.. But same day there was another BSIII Safari which had a new turbocharger fitted and that also had the same sound even after new turbocharger was fitted.

More likely that it is from EGR. I was under impression this issue is only in BSIV models, but corrected myself after hearing it on the BSIII one also last week.
Old 4th January 2011, 09:54   #2933
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I was checking my Safari and opened the Fuse and Relay box inside engine bay. I saw there is relay and fuse available for Fog Lamps in my LX. LX does not come with factory fitted fog lamps.

Relay was showing "Made in Portugal" and 10A fuse is also there. When I fitted fog lamps service people asked me to buy separate relay for Fogs as they told me there is no relay for Fogs. Why this is so? I believe when relay and fuse are present then there must be some provision given by Tata Motors to connect fogs with this.

They charged me some 350 Rupees for separate relay for fogs. Any information on this?

I need to ask Service People of KHT regarding this.
Old 4th January 2011, 10:08   #2934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Yesterday I was checking my Safari and opened the Fuse and Relay box inside engine bay. I saw there is relay and fuse available for Fog Lamps in my LX. LX does not come with factory fitted fog lamps.

Relay was showing "Made in Portugal" and 10A fuse is also there. When I fitted fog lamps service people asked me to buy separate relay for Fogs as they told me there is no relay for Fogs. Why this is so? I believe when relay and fuse are present then there must be some provision given by Tata Motors to connect fogs with this.

They charged me some 350 Rupees for separate relay for fogs. Any information on this?

I need to ask Service People of KHT regarding this.
There are 2 options:

1) Either use the factory provided relay.

or

2) Use a complete separate wiring and relay set for fog lamps. This would allow you to upgrade fog bulbs if you want by using an heavy duty relay.

Thanks.
Old 4th January 2011, 10:43   #2935
BHPian

Okay...I think I can now remember something about this....If this sound comes when you press clutch and is inconsistent...then it could be the noise from the Pressure plate and release bearing.

I have rather a thung/kling or Khat Khat Sound ( My narration may seem funny but please excuse that) while I press and release clucth...It is inconsistent and sometimes does not happen at all....and I was confirmed by SA that its from release bearing and is normal...I tried couple of 3L and 2.2s at that time and all had that noise...its not prominent when doors are closed but the noise is always there....we may hear it sometimes and sometimes not....

Quote:
Yes Shantanu, we are talking about the same noise from front right side (driver side) of bonent that shows up now and then, when up/down shifting the moment you press clutch.
Yes, very inconsistent one. The power lag also shows up during this time mostly, but I've heard this noise without powerlag, so think both are not related/could be.

rajismine, yes many people here have reported that this is the EGR sound.. During second service last week, I was able to reproduce this sound to the SA at Concord Hosur Road, but he said it is normal and is from turbocharger.. But same day there was another BSIII Safari which had a new turbocharger fitted and that also had the same sound even after new turbocharger was fitted.

More likely that it is from EGR. I was under impression this issue is only in BSIV models, but corrected myself after hearing it on the BSIII one also last week.
Old 4th January 2011, 11:07   #2936
BHPian

Quote:

I was told that all BS3s with the rectangular mirrors have this sound while the turbo spools down. It happens when you change from 2 to 3 @ 35 kmph, accelerate and then depress the clutch.

It is not true though. I have tried it on other BS3s and not all of them have it. Verditer has the same sound in his BS4 i believe.
Old 4th January 2011, 13:19   #2937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
I was told that all BS3s with the rectangular mirrors have this sound while the turbo spools down. It happens when you change from 2 to 3 @ 35 kmph, accelerate and then depress the clutch.

It is not true though. I have tried it on other BS3s and not all of them have it. Verditer has the same sound in his BS4 i believe.
Its from the Turbocharger and most probably from the Actuator wastegate. The Turbo resides on the right and the EGR in the middle from the drivers perspective.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:03   #2938
BHPian

How many people have the vehicle gasping problem? Can i have a list of everyone here having this issue? One of my friends is trying to solve this issue in his vehicle currently. Since a lot of us have the problem, i think it's better we approach as a team.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:25   #2939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
How many people have the vehicle gasping problem? Can i have a list of everyone here having this issue? One of my friends is trying to solve this issue in his vehicle currently. Since a lot of us have the problem, i think it's better we approach as a team.
Include me also in the list, mine is a BS3 one. In which service centre in bangalore your friend has given the vehicle?
Old 4th January 2011, 14:31   #2940
BHPian

Concorde Motors, Begur Cross, Hosur Road.

Mine is a BS3 too. Lets wait for the list to grow upto to atleast 5+ and then take the next steps.

List:

1) Avinash
2) LionX

There's a meet happening this weekend. Expected truck count is 15+
Lets see if we can all sync up and discuss this issue and probable resolution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks