Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 16:43   #2866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Guys this hickup is probably due to too much of EGR inlet at low RPM ,
This can happen due to carbon buildup in EGR valve / tubes,
EGR valve remains closed during warm-up/ idle and initial acceleration but opens up at high speed.
So suppose if you are driving at moderate speed and slowdown at some hump or turn and then accelarate again then EGR goes from Open ->Close ->Open and if the inlet is not clean then at the time of close more then required exhast gas is fed in causing hickup.

Open -> Close is simplification here it is not fully open / fully close but may be some intermediate stage depending on the calculated exhaust feedback.

The only way to keep it clean is to do high RPM driving once in a while or after you notice this problem. It is recommended in user manual as well.

at high RPM the exhaust gas pressure is high and that cleans up the EGR , Also it will keep the catcon clean for your vehicle.

By high RPM I do not mean burning rubber and wasting fuel but just tapping the accelerator pedal fully 3-4 times in stationary position.
For sure its the crappy EGR & the associated firmware of the ECU B02. I have this issue now since the upgrade of the firmware or since 1st service :( Sigh
I am with with you. If you need the email address of the person who should be there in the CC list (hope he is still around) you know how to get in touch with me or else Dadu for sure knows how to formulate a email to TML.
by the way even high rpm bursts wont help much of a time, the base issue with the EGR.
Old 7th December 2010, 18:57   #2867
BHPian

My Safari has done about 9000 km till now. I notice a new odd thing recently. The rear tires spin a bit more (as if it is skidding) when I take a sharp turn. I have driven a lot of rear wheel driven cars including a TCIC Safari before and this is the first time I see this. Could it be something to do with LSD in this car ?

I will be taking her to service this month (2 year Service) and should I check for anything specific ?
Old 7th December 2010, 20:48   #2868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The Propeller shaft of my Safari is making ghrrr.. ghr... noises above speeds of 70kmph. Any suggestion of what to do?? Please reply in urgent..
Guys, I need help, Urgently!

Update: Mechanic says that the cross of propeller shaft needs replacement and estimate some 1000Rs.
Old 8th December 2010, 14:13   #2869
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Go ahead Mercedised. For my earlier TCIC it cost me about Rs.800/- about 3 years ago. In some cars if it fails on the road at high speed, the car can "pole vault".
Old 10th December 2010, 11:49   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Power loss or jerk issue being faced by following owners of Safari as per latest compilation

1. Rahulk76
2. anujmishra
3. verditer
4. sheelz
5. cool_dube (not there now)

Anyone else who are facing this issue? Lets compile all names and we will send email to Tata Motors with CC to all owners who are facing this issue.
Was out of town (country) . me too encountering this issue.

However the technique of high RPM at idle or high revving in freeways have helped in getting this under control.

During my trip abroad my vehicle was idle (my wife started it couple of times). After my return, I noticed that this jerk had returned. I repeated the high rev for 3 days. I dont seem to have the problem for past 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
...I am not sure if we can rightly term it as the turbo lag issue.. ....
I dont think turbo lag. Turbo lag is felt when you press the accelerator and vehicle takes time to respond. Usually happens in 1st/ 2nd gears.

In all our cases, the jerk is happening around 1500 rpm and 3rd gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
For me, it keeps happening now and then. I am gonna take up this issue strongly during the first service ....
Sheelz, I saw ur ownership thread. For the kind of mileage you got, you must be driving below 2000 rpm. This jerk clears only if you take her to higher orbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Guys this hickup is probably due to too much of EGR inlet at low RPM ,
This can happen due to carbon buildup in EGR valve / tubes,
EGR valve remains closed during warm-up/ idle and initial acceleration but opens up at high speed.
The only way to keep it clean is to do high RPM driving once in a while or after you notice this problem. It is recommended in user manual as well.

at high RPM the exhaust gas pressure is high and that cleans up the EGR , Also it will keep the catcon clean for your vehicle.

By high RPM I do not mean burning rubber and wasting fuel but just tapping the accelerator pedal fully 3-4 times in stationary position.
Amit, this seems to be the most accurate diagnosis. The solution you give should work. I would also add that be sure your engine is warmed up before you give the high RPM thrust.

So folks try this high RPM technique every day for a week and then settle to once a week. I think the jerk should go away.

I hope all of you are using normal diesel
Old 10th December 2010, 12:00   #2871
BHPian

I too faced the issue during the initial days, but with the high RPM technique being used every week the problem does not show up nowadays.
Old 10th December 2010, 13:43   #2872
BHPian

Re: Ipod connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
You can actually do it yourself, I did it for mine...
You have to pull out the Alpine Head Unit with the supplied two metal thingies. U dont have to unplug anything, just plug in one end of the cable (the other side of the ipod connector) into the back of the Head Unit, u will find the slot without a problem. Then route the cable into the glove box (there are a lot of big gaps all over) where u can plug in & store your ipod.
Tried it last night, but couldn't pull out the Head Unit. Inserted the metal bands both sides, left side it didn't go in very well, and if I pull out only the metal bands come back out, the HU doesn't budge. After several tries, ended up with only scratching that part of the dashboard. Left it there.
Guess have to get help from TASS.
Old 11th December 2010, 11:53   #2873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Go ahead Mercedised. For my earlier TCIC it cost me about Rs.800/- about 3 years ago. In some cars if it fails on the road at high speed, the car can "pole vault".
Thanks alot. I will take the car to the garage in a couple of days and update as accordingly.
Old 11th December 2010, 20:51   #2874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Tried it last night, but couldn't pull out the Head Unit. Inserted the metal bands both sides, left side it didn't go in very well, and if I pull out only the metal bands come back out, the HU doesn't budge. After several tries, ended up with only scratching that part of the dashboard. Left it there.
Guess have to get help from TASS.
ALT approach: I opened the driver side cover of the console using allen key (guess it is no 5) to gain access to backside of head unit. my ipod interface cable routed through the side of gear lever and comes out from hand brake lever 'window'. i can place the ipod behind h.brake lever in the small tray.
Old 11th December 2010, 21:23   #2875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
...my ipod interface cable routed through the side of gear lever and comes out from hand brake lever 'window'. i can place the ipod behind h.brake lever in the small tray.
Like the idea. Currently I am using glove box to hold my iPod, which is clumsy.
-BJ
Old 11th December 2010, 22:24   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Guys, I need help, Urgently!

Update: Mechanic says that the cross of propeller shaft needs replacement and estimate some 1000Rs.
one UJ cross/spider for my Sierra turbo which has same propeller shaft as TCIC Safari used to cost Rs.450/- approx for Spicer brand, which is considerered good. Even after adding labour, for one joint it should cost less than Rs.1000.
Old 13th December 2010, 14:05   #2877
BHPian

I would like to get some clarification regarding the brake pads of safari 2.2.

Mine has crossed 30K kms and the front brake pads are due for replacement. I had checked the dealership and they told it will cost around 4K but I found out that TVS brake pads costs just 1.5K outside.

Isn't TATA genuine brake pad made by TVS ? (the dealer told me the same, but want to get a confirmation from the experts here). If that is the case TASS is ripping the customers with fat bills for these.
Old 13th December 2010, 14:57   #2878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
I would like to get some clarification regarding the brake pads of safari 2.2.

Mine has crossed 30K kms and the front brake pads are due for replacement. I had checked the dealership and they told it will cost around 4K but I found out that TVS brake pads costs just 1.5K outside.

Isn't TATA genuine brake pad made by TVS ? (the dealer told me the same, but want to get a confirmation from the experts here). If that is the case TASS is ripping the customers with fat bills for these.
The brake pads have no marking to confirm any manufacturer. When you checked the prices, did you also check if it was a set of 4 or 2.

They cost 3197/- + tax for a set of 4 (Both front wheels). There can be some difference if you buy it outside but it cannot be 50%.
Old 13th December 2010, 15:18   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The brake pads have no marking to confirm any manufacturer. When you checked the prices, did you also check if it was a set of 4 or 2.

They cost 3197/- + tax for a set of 4 (Both front wheels). There can be some difference if you buy it outside but it cannot be 50%.
@dadu, yes it is for a set of 4 and the make is TVS. The same TATA genuine pad was available for 3050/-. The shop I went is a TATA authorized parts dealer and he confirmed both are same.

Can anyone post a pic of TATA genuine brake pad .
Old 13th December 2010, 17:02   #2880
BHPian

The temperature dial in my instrument panel seems not working for last few days - it just remains at C (cold) and doesn't move to middle of the dial as it used to earlier.

Anything I can do to correct it myself, or have to go to TASS?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks