Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2008, 11:40   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I have observed a new problem recently.
The temp reading in the display is erratic, displaying readings of 6*,8*, 15* in Mumbai.
How much I wish it were true.
Last time I went to the TASS just before Diwali, I told the manager that I might soon have to rent out an accomodation closeby considering the number of times I visit the TASS.
This brings me to another point of perspective in the Safari ownership.
Visiting the dealership has become a part of my life. The next visit reason & date comes up within a few days of the last visit. Now that speaks a lot about customer loyalty. Doesnt it!!!!
And shouldnt I be rewarded for that!!
true jay. My bull went for its second service last month and every week i keep visiting the TASS like i've been scheduled . I get a call from the TASS every week asking whether the i have any problems with the service. And i say yes and just end up there every Saturday. . Man you must see the smile the manager gives me when he see's me entering the TASS .
Old 5th November 2008, 11:49   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The temp reading is nothing but the temp outside of the vehicle, it has got no relation to any of the vehicle operations or the engine.

Usually helpful in Cold countries during morning start to give an indication of outside temp.

I dont understand why do you have to visit them for each and every thing.

For a show-stopper problem visit immediately, for small ones wait for them to accumulate or the next service.
I do understand what you said about the temp reading. But Mumbai is never so cold in the afternoon.

I am a little finicky about everything working as it should be.
You may call it the Prado effect. Everything works superfine inspite of much more abuse that the Safari gets, and the only visits I make are for scheduled service.
BUt i guess, I shall now make a list. I dont think there will ever be a showstopper problem in the 2.2. I hope not.
Old 5th November 2008, 11:52   #273
BANNED

I think that ambient temp gauge in the Safari can safely be ignored unless one is in extreme weather conditions - only then one will know whether it really works.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:04   #274
BHPian

Alternator changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Just an update...

I have just received a call from TASS asking me to come down for an alternator change. The person who phoned up did not know the reason for the change.

I know that JK has had his changed. How many more have been asked to come down for an upgrade ?
I got mine changed as well.This was after I was stranded near Dhule in the dead of night when the alternator went kaput.Must be for a particular batch of 2.2s I guess
Old 5th November 2008, 12:16   #275
Senior - BHPian

but where this ambient temp gauge is located in Safari ? I did not notice existance of this feature till now.

I have few more requests to Safari gurus.

(a) another stupid query I am little confused on AC recirculation mode after reading the manual , When we press the AC recirculation switch and blue indicator light is seen ( ON) does this mean that AC is recirculating the air or it means that AC vent is open ?
My initial assumption was that AC vent is closed when switch is in off position means Vent is closed and open when pressed.

(b) Can some one point out preferably with picture of engine bay where exactly is AC vent , MY basement parking has rodent issue and I want to
cover it with a metal wire gauge. TASS at Hosur road denined any such possibility.

(c) How to open and clean the Air filter as DIY again a tutorial with pics is requested for benifit of newbies like me, I have never opened air filter box and I am just assuming that big sqare box at the top on right side of engine bay houses the Air filter

Regards
Amit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I think that ambient temp gauge in the Safari can safely be ignored unless one is in extreme weather conditions - only then one will know whether it really works.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:21   #276
Senior - BHPian

where this ambient temp gauge is located in Safari ? I did not notice existance of this feature till now.
>>> On the digital odometer. press the right side knob until it shows the temp reading.

(a) another stupid query I am little confused on AC recirculation mode after reading the manual , When we press the AC recirculation switch and blue indicator light is seen ( ON) does this mean that AC is recirculating the air or it means that AC vent is open ?
My initial assumption was that AC vent is closed when switch is in off position means Vent is closed and open when pressed.

>>> When the switch is in the on position, and the blue light is glowing, it indicates that it is in the recirculation mode.
Old 5th November 2008, 14:15   #277
BHPian

fuel additive : System-D or BG-244 ?

dadu, have you switched to BG-244 ?

I have been using System-D (with normal diesel) for the last 8 months (mine is a Oct 2007 2.2 EX) and never experienced any 'hiccup" problem. For the first few months, I was using IOC Xtramile.

Just curious whether anyone tried out BG-244.

cheers,

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th November 2008 at 15:05. Reason: Font tags
Old 5th November 2008, 14:52   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post

i had asked for the following things:
1> idler arm adjustments for khat sound from the left and reducing turning radius if possible: from what sounded like from the late night run, they have adjusted the arms to give khat sound from both left and right this time :-) not so pronounced though now, maybe it was because of the absence of much ambient noise at night did i hear the milder khat sound coming from both left and right together, may be normal, seek suggestions from all. steering hissing sound is not there at full turn now surprisingly, earlier it was quite audible even with windows up and ac on, yet to find out about the turn radius fix.

Help !. Looks like, my safari too has this "idler arm" problem - (khat sound). Need to get it fixed soon.

Which TASC (in Bangalore) you think is best equipped to address this problem ?. I have used Manipal (old-Airport rd) till now and am not sure whether it's the best place.

cheers,
Old 5th November 2008, 14:58   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
(b) Can some one point out preferably with picture of engine bay where exactly is AC vent , MY basement parking has rodent issue and I want to
cover it with a metal wire gauge. TASS at Hosur road denined any such possibility.
Look to the left of the Water tank. Its a 1 inch black coloured pipe turned downwards coming out from the backwall.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-83240.jpg

Quote:
(c) How to open and clean the Air filter as DIY again a tutorial with pics is requested for benifit of newbies like me, I have never opened air filter box and I am just assuming that big sqare box at the top on right side of engine bay houses the Air filter

Regards
Amit
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-engfilter.jpg

Just keep a tab on the dust indicator, once it reaches the full mark or near it, needs to be cleaned but this is not a clamp-on filter cover so you need to unscrew the cover and then need pressurised air to clean it, better done at a service station.
Old 5th November 2008, 16:51   #280
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dadu for the pics , Do you think it is a good idea to cover the AC pipe with wire gauge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-47 View Post
Help !. Looks like, my safari too has this "idler arm" problem - (khat sound). Need to get it fixed soon.

Which TASC (in Bangalore) you think is best equipped to address this problem ?. I have used Manipal (old-Airport rd) till now and am not sure whether it's the best place.

cheers,
AK-47 Visit Concord at Hosur road , Talk to SM Mr. Murlidharan he knows the issue and solution very well also look if problem is just with khat or you get some rubbing sound going up or coming down on a winding incline like in MLCP.
Old 5th November 2008, 22:57   #281
BHPian

Quote:
AK-47 Visit Concord at Hosur road , Talk to SM Mr. Murlidharan he knows the issue and solution very well also look if problem is just with khat or you get some rubbing sound going up or coming down on a winding incline like in MLCP.
Thanks amitk26. Will check out Concord.

I haven't noticed any rubbing sound yet.

cheers,
Old 5th November 2008, 23:37   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
where this ambient temp gauge is located in Safari ? I did not notice existance of this feature till now.
>>> On the digital odometer. press the right side knob until it shows the temp reading.

>>> When the switch is in the on position, and the blue light is glowing, it indicates that it is in the recirculation mode.

Blue = AC ON

Orange beside it = Recirculation.
Old 6th November 2008, 10:28   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-47 View Post
dadu, have you switched to BG-244 ?

I have been using System-D (with normal diesel) for the last 8 months (mine is a Oct 2007 2.2 EX) and never experienced any 'hiccup" problem. For the first few months, I was using IOC Xtramile.

Just curious whether anyone tried out BG-244.

cheers,
This is what I have learnt and this is how it works. Nobody can deny that there is carbon buildup in all engines, lesser in petrol, more in Diesel. These products help in cleaning/ reducing them.

System D - is a very mild formula for continuous usage.

BG244- is a very strong formula for cleaning the hard carbon throughout the fuel assembly including combustion chambers. To be used at recommended intervals ONLY, or if carbon symptoms exist.

CF5 & BG248 - is an intermediate formula, stronger than System D but milder than BG244. To be used at regular intervals, can be used frequently.

Now you can wait till you get the symptoms (hesistation etc) or you can use them at recommeded intervals and keep the engine clean throughout. But remember, if you let the carbon set in and hardened to the core then you need to get a manual decarbonization done. If you are using System D from the begining, continue using it. This is how they should be used.

BG244 - Use once the problem/ symptoms occurs or at every service interval (15k). Pour in fuel tank, fill the tank to full, serves upto 60 litres. Once the tank reaches 1/4, refill the diesel for a lighter formula still effective in cleaning carbon till the next fill.

CF5 or BG248 - Use as an intermediate(apprx 7.5K kms after using BG244) between the service intervals. Add to the tank and fill up the tank. Is effective upto 8k Kms. No need to add any other additives inbetween.

These additives do not claim to bring you better mileage except from the fact that a cleaner engine will provide that by itself. During my search, I am yet to find a negative feedback for these products and there are no negative effects.

The methodology described above is used worldover by the owners in their Audi's, VW and BMW's and can be followed by anyone. Manual Hard decarbonization requires professional training/ experience and should not be attempted at home.

Last edited by dadu : 6th November 2008 at 10:38.
Old 6th November 2008, 11:44   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is what I have learnt and this is how it works. Nobody can deny that there is carbon buildup in all engines, lesser in petrol, more in Diesel. These products help in cleaning/ reducing them.

Thanks dadu for clarifying the difference between System-D and BG-244. I wasn't saying carbon build-up being not there, but was trying to learn whether BG-244 is better than System-D.

Will continue to use System-D. Mileage is not a problem as I am already getting ~10.5 in city and ~12.5 on highway. (Have been using System-G too in my petrol car with good results)

cheers,
Old 6th November 2008, 12:10   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Mine used to show this earlier, but now it says OPEN. I don't know what to open?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks