Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 13:49   #2776
Team-BHP Support

Safari user manual recommends high rpm running atleast once a week.
So every week, just rev her upto 4000rpm for a few seconds.

It will do wonders.
Old 12th November 2010, 14:34   #2777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Same recommended by Ford. Ikon's to be run at 3000 rpm for min 30 secs, once a week.

On the Sumo, lack of higher rpm runs almost caused me a failed emission test. The test center revved up the engine for a few minutes before the results began to look better.
Old 12th November 2010, 14:41   #2778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It will do wonders.
Tanveer, Is it safe to rev till 4K RPM in new car which has run only 2K KMs? Please advise.
Old 12th November 2010, 15:21   #2779
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post

Please read some of the earlier posts in this same thread for their advise: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hread-168.html

Kairalee thanks for the link. I will try this out over this weekend. Even at Highway I kept her below 2000 rpm mostly.. Will rip her once a while.

Quote:

It will do wonders.
Missed reading this in my manual.. Will do so

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Same recommended by Ford. Ikon's to be run at 3000 rpm for min 30 secs, once a week.

On the Sumo, lack of higher rpm runs almost caused me a failed emission test.
Thanks Condor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Tanveer, Is it safe to rev till 4K RPM in new car which has run only 2K KMs? Please advise.
Anuj, Kairalee' link has discussion. He must have done this at our mileage only.

Now, another question that has been boggling after my SA adviced Shell fuel.

Before posting this question, I discovered the "Search Thead" button. I found the most relevant post and quoting below. Question is does this apply to BS4 Safaris too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
BSIII and BSIV Normal Diesel has a minimum Cetane of 51 and I could only find the diesel specs from IOC which meet IS 1460 specifications, so can be sure about IOC.
Use Normal Diesel in your Safari, if you feel the need/ urge to use Diesel with Additives(Speed diesel), I would suggest make your own, by adding 1ml of System D / ltr of diesel, one tankfull every Quarter. System D is the most suitable additive available for TATA Diesel vehicles.

Last edited by druva : 12th November 2010 at 15:24.
Old 12th November 2010, 16:03   #2780
Senior - BHPian

Safari ready for 1 yr service - some queries

Hi Safari-freaks,

My November 2009 EX 4x4 is due for its (third) 1-year service next week. It has run only 7K kms over the year since I do not use it for daily home/office commutes but only for highway hauls. This would be the first engine oil change since it was not changed at the 1K and 5K service (as per the instructions in the manual). I understand that oil-filter change goes hand-in-hand with engine oil change so no doubts there. However, should I get the following done as well?

- Wheel alignment (no 'drifting' observed per se)
- Wheel balancing (no steering wobbling observed at high speeds)
- Tyre rotation (recommended interval is 15,000 kms)
- Head lamp leveling (I changed the OEM bulbs and installed Philips Extreme Power - it was a DIY)
- Fuel filter change?
- Gearbox/transfer case oil change?
- Axle oil change?

Anything else that I need to specifically call out to the TASS?
Old 12th November 2010, 16:11   #2781
Senior - BHPian

Cool_dube:

- For the wheel alignment and balancing - your call; if all feels fine and the tires do not show anything uneven, you can keep it on the recommended periods. I do them alignment every 5k kms, balancing and rotation every 10k kms.
- Head lamp leveling - ask them to check and make sure that the level is ok. Nothing much to fix for just a bulb change. (Refer to a PDF by Dadu on how the base-lining is done.)
- Fuel filter - no work required.
- Gear & transfer change during 15k kms service
- Back axle oil change on 15k kms service. Front one will be done on, me think, 45kms. But if you do lot of front hub engaging, then lesser than 45k, maybe 30k kms.
Old 12th November 2010, 16:35   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
- Gear & transfer change during 15k kms service
- Back axle oil change on 15k kms service
That is my dilemma - this is the [15,000 kms or 1 year, whichever is earlier] service for me. Should I get these done?
Old 12th November 2010, 16:37   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alternatively, fill your Safari with 5-6 adults and do a ripping trip to Mysore and back, that will do the trick.
Old 12th November 2010, 17:35   #2784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it safe to rev till 4K RPM in new car which has run only 2K KMs? Please advise.
@Anuj, it is safe. Remember - you dont need to do this for extended duration. You could do it even during city driving by running in one or two gears less than normal. Like, instead of your normal 3/4th gear, run in 2nd or 3rd gear for 30 secs, max 1 minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Alternatively, fill your Safari with 5-6 adults and do a ripping trip to Mysore and back, that will do the trick.
@Dadu, I dont think that will help. Have not seen much of a diff in RPM (for the purpose we are discussing here) even with a full load - but this was on my Sumo - not a Safari.
Old 12th November 2010, 18:57   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Anuj 2K KM means run in period is already over, It is a Diesel vehicle and exhaust system / EGR / catcon needs to be cleaned by exhaust gases so vehicle needs a dose of high RPM run.
You might have noticed black marks on pillars of our MLCP and now you know why they are there :-)
Old 12th November 2010, 19:47   #2786
BHPian

Wobbling and electrical issue. 3.0 lt

Advice on issues faced by a friend on his 3.0 lt Dicor that has run 83000 kms run.
1. The vehicle has a terrible wobble once it crosses 60kmph. It was shown at a tire centre where they said that the front left alloy is defective. Took it back as it was under warranty, but tests there (rotating only the alloy and then alongwith the tire) showed no issues. Once it was rebalanced with 35 gms it stopped wobbling. However it started wobbling again next day. 2 mechanics have said it could be because of a worn centre bushing.

2. There is an inconsistent electrical power surge that happens. It is very sporadic. The headlights will suddenly become super-bright, AC fan speed increase, stereo would reduce volume. This has fused a head light bulb till now. On a check with a mechanic, he said the stator and cut-out of the alternator needs repair. Ona check with the Bosch Car mechanic and his ammeter, there was nothing that was detected. Stator and cut-out are in good health as per him.

Kindly assist.
Old 13th November 2010, 11:37   #2787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Dadu, I dont think that will help. Have not seen much of a diff in RPM (for the purpose we are discussing here) even with a full load - but this was on my Sumo - not a Safari.
Worked for me once, long time back, 6 adults in a day trip to Mysore and back.
Old 16th November 2010, 12:49   #2788
Senior - BHPian

Improvement in Quality?

A TASC owner in my city has grown to become a good friend of mine. I accompany my Safari for service always, and while at it I perhaps come across as a very enthusiastic but novice customer of the Safari. I think this kind of intrugued the young owner and made him friends with me.

Now this maybe an OT post for this thread but my friend or the TASC owner has told me that there has been sharp improvement in quality levels of TML vehicles of late. He said that this very perceptible improvement is most apparant or demonstrated by the ageing beast aka Safari. He also showed some official statistics to this effect produced by TML itself.
Old 16th November 2010, 15:37   #2789
Distinguished - BHPian

@rrsteer: I had posted a while back in some other thread that Rata Tata is now taking this issue up personally, so it should be happening. The problem is that there will be a lag before market accepts the new reality as Tata has ignored this critical thing for so many years.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:49   #2790
BHPian

Though I don't own a Safari, but ocassionally drive my uncle's Safari 2.2 Vx in northern Punjab. Have been a fan of safari always!

I've read somewhere that new BS-4 version is now water cooled! Can somebody throw light on it & its possible advantages?

Last edited by breezydrive : 17th November 2010 at 10:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks