Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2010, 11:54   #2731
Senior - BHPian

@amitk26, 2.2 ltr has self adjusting tappets

@rrsteer, its the same fluid for both clutch, brake.
Old 18th October 2010, 12:41   #2732
BHPian

Hello

I hope this post is not out of context of this thread

Mods pls do the needful

As I had mentioned earlier , a stone hit my windshield from a speeding truck and it developed a crack

As advised I went to change the windshield

The spares dept informed they had placed an order and will arrive in 2 days. after two days they said on monday

When i call them no one has a clue, one says its arrived and need checking and one says its not

Finally i got to speak with the spares division guy who told me its not arrived and will take two more days

I told them that its not right on their part to keep me misinformed as I may ahve tried at other service station of TATA and do they want me to write to TATA myself

On that the guy gave me a rude reply saying "complaint karna hain to karo"

my queries are

1>Should i look for alternative service station [i like my service guy here and he knows lot about safari issues as before him 3 guys could not solve my problems]

2>Should i write to TATA

3>Is windshield such a rare spare that its out of stock and takes so much time to arrive

4>Should i be writing to someone else or just wait keep them calling till finally it arrives

Regards
Old 25th October 2010, 11:52   #2733
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1) The TATA Service guy has been rude to you - pls complain to TATA and to the head of that centre.

2) You may wish to check out some other authorized Centre, though this seems to be more of an individual issue.

3) Possibly the guy reacted in such a manner (though he shouldn't) as the delay was at TATA end for this case?

4) You can get a windshield for the TATA Safari (and almost all other car models) replaced at Windshield Experts chain within the day, and they actually do a more professional job then the Authorized centre guys as this is their expertise area.
Old 4th November 2010, 15:28   #2734
BHPian

Safari LX engine immobilizer & rear demister

Experts please clarify the query:

On the Safari LX the missing essential safety features engine immobilizer and rear demister can be fixed at dealership / open market?

How much the engine immobilizer and rear demister costs?
Old 4th November 2010, 16:28   #2735
BHPian

Lx model safari can be fixed with immobilizer, the minda ones would cost about 35-4500 depending on current rates (i paid 3500 approx in 2008). However, the immbolizer light would be a crude looking LED popping out under the Steering column as it cannot be connected to the OE wiring (though technically possible) And please ensure a trained technician does it otherwise, wiring gets messed up badly.

Rear demister would need replacing the LX rear windshield and adding the heater element. Should cost anywhere between 6-8k. Most dealerships won't encourage this addition though. I have not done this, so please don't quote me
Old 4th November 2010, 18:06   #2736
Senior - BHPian

Both are additions that are best experienced as factory fitted features.

More so the engine immobilizer!

But, this is just my opinion.
Old 6th November 2010, 19:55   #2737
Senior - BHPian

The clutch oil in my TCIC Safari is leaking (infact, very quickly, in every 5kms of highway driving the clutch oil was drained fully). I topped up with brake oil and returned to home. The clutch is not working anymore (and works only if I fill oil, obviously & for a few kms only in city). Could anybody tell me the cause?

@MODS: Apologies for posting the same problem here too, but, I thought posting here will result in better replies.

Last edited by mercedised : 6th November 2010 at 19:57.
Old 8th November 2010, 19:52   #2738
BHPian

early oil change

Guys,

My GX has run ~7k Kms, in 5 odd months, and i am planning on a drive from Bombay to Lucknow and back in the 3rd week of Nov.

The car has not not gone through an oil change till now, and has been a mix of city and highway (only expressway) runs. My usual office to home jaunt is a 8 km daily run (to and fro) during which i run 95% in 2nd gear. 5% in 1/3rd gears

Given the scenario, i was thinking i should get my engine oil change done about a week before i leave for Lucknow? The scheduled oil change is at 15k kms as part of the 3rd service.

Does this make sense.

cheers, slicks.
Old 9th November 2010, 20:45   #2739
Senior - BHPian

Oily stains on hub cap

Kindly comment, looking at the pictures below, is this serious or OK after about 900kms drive in 4 days. I engaged 4x4 only once for about 200 meters or so to climb up a steep slope in a tight spot in Goa. After returning home, I removed the LHS hub cap, but didn't find any unusual oil/seepage under it.

Is this normal brake dust/grime?

LHS cover showing greasy circle:
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-lhshubcap.jpg

RHS cover is relatively clean:
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-rhshubcap.jpg

tia,

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 9th November 2010 at 20:46. Reason: minor correction
Old 9th November 2010, 21:01   #2740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Kindly comment, looking at the pictures below, is this serious or OK after about 900kms drive in 4 days. I engaged 4x4 only once for about 200 meters or so to climb up a steep slope in a tight spot in Goa. After returning home, I removed the LHS hub cap, but didn't find any unusual oil/seepage under it.

Is this normal brake dust/grime?

tia,

-BJ
Looks like normal brake dust... I find much more on my front wheels after a highway run..
Old 9th November 2010, 21:53   #2741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
...The car has not not gone through an oil change till now, and has been a mix of city and highway (only expressway) runs. My usual office to home jaunt is a 8 km daily run (to and fro) during which i run 95% in 2nd gear. 5% in 1/3rd gears

Given the scenario, i was thinking i should get my engine oil change done about a week before i leave for Lucknow? The scheduled oil change is at 15k kms as part of the 3rd service.

Does this make sense...
Not in the books, but would definitely recommend it; more so because you are still running on the oil that came from the factory.

Please do change the oil and oil filter before the trip; but do not let this stop you from changing the oil or filter at 15k kms service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
...Is this normal brake dust/grime?...
BJ:

It is so clean, so what is your concern!

Absolutely normal is what I see.

EDIT: And BJ, nice try with those tapes, but my experience says that it is not necessary. If the force is so strong to pull it out, this tape will be ripped out. But then, no harm though.

And, edit the signature spelling.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 9th November 2010 at 21:55.
Old 9th November 2010, 22:15   #2742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Looks like normal brake dust... I find much more on my front wheels after a highway run..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Absolutely normal is what I see.
And, edit the signature spelling.
Thanks guys.

@HW you have got a hawk's eye. Corrected it. Thanks again.
-BJ
Old 10th November 2010, 11:00   #2743
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Not in the books, but would definitely recommend it; more so because you are still running on the oil that came from the factory.

Please do change the oil and oil filter before the trip; but do not let this stop you from changing the oil or filter at 15k kms service.
Counter point : The only time your vehicle has probably 100% new lube oil instead of old/new (30-70 mix) is when its from the factory. Thats probably the best oil she will get
But then, workshops mixing old and new engine oils to make more money is the topic of another thread!

That said, I went for a voluntary oil change at 7500kms, because I had done 4WD driving in the desert around 3000-4000kms mark.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:13   #2744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
That said, I went for a voluntary oil change at 7500kms, because I had done 4WD driving in the desert around 3000-4000kms mark.

I prefer lets stick to company recommended procedure than other recommendation. I do not think TATA or any manufacturer prescribe wrong thing. Yes company recommend after lots of tests and procedures. Oil change is always paid by customer. If you over maintain your car then there is no ending.

As Tanveer changed oil around 7.5K due to dusty/sandy drive it is also prescribed in manual. If you do not drive over dusty/sandy road then you can change it around 15K KMs.

However anyone found problem with company recommended duration? What precise extra benefit they got after changing oil early. (Like how many thousand KMs engine life increased).
Old 10th November 2010, 11:24   #2745
Team-BHP Support

Anuj, I never change oil early. It was the first oil change.
My vehicle was May 2010 mfred, and I got it only in End july.
So by the time I did 7500kms, the oil was already sitting in the vehicle for 10 months or so I think.

According to company, oil change must happen every 15000kms, or 1 year, whichever is earlier.

After that my running has been high, so I change oil every 15000kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks