Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 14:32   #2701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Are you sure it is engine noise that you are hearing? Given its wonderful aerodynamics Safari is prone to a lot of 'wind noise' (which translates to cabin noise with windows rolled up) at speeds on the higher side of 100 kmph.
Yes,
the noise is definitely from the engine bay.If I am not mistaken,the wind noise is prominent sideways i.e. near the top side of the doors.
Old 11th October 2010, 15:13   #2702
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Yes,
the noise is definitely from the engine bay.If I am not mistaken,the wind noise is prominent sideways i.e. near the top side of the doors.
Take your safari to 110kmph or so, and then shift to neutral and let her coast. If the noise is still coming, it could be a bearing issue and not an engine issue.
If noise is not coming at low rpm, it could be related to engine/tranny
In that case, in some other gear, take engine to same rpm (2200 approx)
If there is no noise, and it comes only at higher speeds it could be transmission related.
Old 11th October 2010, 15:28   #2703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Take your safari to 110kmph or so, and then shift to neutral and let her coast. If the noise is still coming, it could be a bearing issue and not an engine issue.
If noise is not coming at low rpm, it could be related to engine/tranny
In that case, in some other gear, take engine to same rpm (2200 approx)
If there is no noise, and it comes only at higher speeds it could be transmission related.
This noise & harshness is not present below 2000 odd RPM across all gears.
I guess since this is present in all gears,this has got something to do with the engine.
Old 11th October 2010, 15:53   #2704
Team-BHP Support

Does the noise come at idle also if you rev the engine.
Can you describe a noise a bit more?
Is it like a whine, or excessive boom etc.,?
Old 11th October 2010, 22:16   #2705
BHPian

Suspension issues?

I took my Silver Surfer for wheel balancing and alignment but was informed that the there is a play at the ends. On speaking with another Safari owner, I was told that this is a suspension issue and bushes might need changing or maybe the whole suspension. The vehicle has done 21k kms and has just returned from a Western India drive. The front tires also show signs of wear on the outer sides. Kindly guide so I can pin point the issue to TASS.
Old 12th October 2010, 07:55   #2706
BHPian

Quote:
Does the noise come at idle also if you rev the engine.
Can you describe a noise a bit more?
Is it like a whine, or excessive boom etc.,?
Tanveer,there is no such noise at idling.And this noise is more like a grinding/rubbing noise.
Time to visit TASC to check if such behaviour is present with other Safaris as well
Old 12th October 2010, 11:11   #2707
Team-BHP Support

sorry rb, I guess a visit to TASS is needed.
@rideon. Remember, your vehicle has done 21k only, no matter what the job you do not have to pay anything for suspension. Tata service centers(most of them) are cheats, and will try to tell your rubber bushes are paid, but show them the extended warranty booklet. it ways bushes covered till 35000kms.
So do not make the same mistake as I did a year back.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:24   #2708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata service centers(most of them) are cheats, and will try to tell your rubber bushes are paid, but show them the extended warranty booklet. it ways bushes covered till 35000kms.
So do not make the same mistake as I did a year back.
Tanveer, bushes are not covered till 35k kms, shock absorbers are.

Having said that, Raktim, as Tanveer has mentioned, 21k is hardly any mileage so you should bully them for warranty replacement nevertheless.

By the way, it seems like your alignment or camber is out, when was the last time you got your alignment checked/done?
Old 12th October 2010, 12:31   #2709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Tanveer, bushes are not covered till 35k kms, shock absorbers are.

Having said that, Raktim, as Tanveer has mentioned, 21k is hardly any mileage so you should bully them for warranty replacement nevertheless.

By the way, it seems like your alignment or camber is out, when was the last time you got your alignment checked/done?
I will disagree
Quote:
Suspension: Shock absorbers (excluding fluid leakage), bush / mechanical falures, control arms, upper and lower wishbones, springs. Any claim for shock absorbers is limited to 35000 kms of vehicle use beyond which it deemed to be normal wear and tear.
Quote taken from
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Must Know
Old 12th October 2010, 12:46   #2710
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, I know, I have the booklet too . Only mechanical failure of bushes is covered & the 35,000 limit is for shock absorbers only -

Quote:
Suspension: Shock absorbers (excluding fluid leakage), bush / mechanical falures, control arms, upper and lower wishbones, springs. Any claim for shock absorbers is limited to 35000 kms of vehicle use beyond which it deemed to be normal wear and tear.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:48   #2711
Team-BHP Support

How is mechanical failure of a rubber bush defined. when the bush cracks? That can be termed as wear and tear also?
Old 12th October 2010, 12:51   #2712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is mechanical failure of a rubber bush defined. when the bush cracks? That can be termed as wear and tear also?
You have a very valid point.

When the cracking happens very early in the life of the bush, then they accept mechanical failure. Beyond a point, they would term it as wear & tear. I agree that in Raktim's case, mileage is low which is why I've also said that he should push them for a FOC replacement. But the point is, you cannot enforce the 35k kms thingy because that pertains to Shock absorbers only.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:52   #2713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Grey area depends on goodwill of A.S.S , My suspension bush got changed FOC at 25K but at 2 years service ( may be normal warranty not extended)

Tip to build goodwill for new buyers, Don't always be in compliant mode , when they do good job or normal job where you can not find faults give them 10/10 in feedback.Tell the SA that you have given 10 they crave for it. Make sure you ask for same S.A or senior person next time.

Last edited by amitk26 : 12th October 2010 at 12:53.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:48   #2714
Team-BHP Support

Well if 35000kms is not mentioned, then ideally for bush they should have warranty till the extended warranty runs out. If bushes will be given only till 20,000kms, they should say so clearly.
Tomorrow, they may say wear and tear for other parts also.
I feel this is cheating. If Tata motors has not specified any "kms frame" for bushes, TASS cannot go ahead and say "won't cover".

It is such grey areas, which lead to disgrunted customer. If Tata motors is publishing an extended warranty booklet, they better stick to it.

Not everyone gets a good TASS. The kind of service Suman's vehicle has got is an exception, not the norm, because the TASS people are very customer friendly. Sadly, it was too far for me.

with metro coming to Gurgaon, now I can go there for routine services, and not worry about how to get back home if car has to be kept overnight.

@amit, why should we give 10/10 when the job done is not good. 10/10 is for exceptional service. Buy giving false ratings we are contributing to corruption. Thats why i am against tipping also as service centers.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th October 2010 at 13:53.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:58   #2715
Senior - BHPian

Sadly, the Extended Warranty is an area that TML is just not interested in improving. For example, the ABS unit & sensors are not covered under EW. Can anyone explain why??

A critical safety component & it is not covered. One of my sensors went kaput on my Leh trip & I had to pay for a new one on my return. When another one went bust subsequently, we took advantage of the one year replacement warranty on the earlier one & got it changed FOC (though it wasn't the one that had been changed).

I remember exchanging a few stinkers with the Insurance company but they had no explanation to give other than the fact that it wasn't mentioned in the booklet & hence would not be covered.

Mind you, every other sensor in the damn vehicle is covered

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks