Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2010, 16:27   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Last week during the mini meet we had Anuj pointed out in his new Safari that the airflow adjustment knob did not operate smoothly, it was sort of stuck in one position and it was taking a lot of effort to switch the positions from one direction of air flow to another.

Today, I tried the same in my Safari and found that even in my car the switch was not operating smoothly, anyone else here having similar issues?

What could be the solution? I am anyway giving the vehicle for service next week and will ask the ASC to look into it. I would like to know if there is any particular part in the switch assembly to be looked into specifically?

Cheers.
Today I checked air vent selector knob in one new EX standing in KHT. It was butter smooth. I faced no problem selecting each and every position in that car and then returning back. I want my vent selector same as of EX. I will stand on head of service advisor and get it done during first service and will not accept car until it is resolved completely.
Old 4th October 2010, 17:22   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want my vent selector same as of EX.
Is the selector switch different for different versions?
Old 4th October 2010, 17:32   #2673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
...air vent selector knob...was butter smooth. I faced no problem selecting each...
For all you know, the selector was doing nothing, because, it wasn't connected under the dash. No levers, nothing, completely false. You select face, feet, face+feet.... same air everywhere. It is a very rare phenomenon for safari's switches to be so smooth .

-BJ
Old 4th October 2010, 18:30   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Is the selector switch different for different versions?
No it is same actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
For all you know, the selector was doing nothing, because, it wasn't connected under the dash. No levers, nothing, completely false. You select face, feet, face+feet.... same air everywhere. It is a very rare phenomenon for safari's switches to be so smooth .

-BJ
he he he , but not every butter smooth thing is not necessarily non-working, Anuj's Clutch pedal is butter smooth
Old 5th October 2010, 18:02   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
@lodhra

For a normally loaded safari 2.2, you have plenty of torque to climb reasonable gradient without resorting to handbrake and waiting for the turbo to spool up. Check your car for excess rolling resistance - keep up the normal tire air pressure. Unload excess weight if you plan on climbing steep mountain.

In fact you can dispense with the spare tire when you are driving in city. I have climbed almost all mountains in the south and I have never felt any lack of power.
i generally drive alone. secondly i do not have problems in climbing gradients its just when u STOP on a steep incline like in a traffic and then say after 2 mins need to move on i get this problem
Old 5th October 2010, 20:42   #2676
BANNED

TML Customer Care Goof up

Sorry for the OT post but I thought we should know this:
I was browsing the TML Customer Care site a few minutes ago and landed on the service estimator page here:
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Service Request

And I tried to choose the Safari. What do I find? There is no option to choose the Safari in the service estimator tool.

Does TML too feel that the Safaris are that unpredictable when it comes to estimating what has gone wrong with them??

I have attached the pic as well.

Hey, yet, the pic of the Tata vehicle on that page is that of a Safari..ROFLTMAO...
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-tata_cc.jpg  

Last edited by n.devdath : 5th October 2010 at 20:43.
Old 5th October 2010, 21:42   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, you're absolutely correct, this is

But why do you feel it is a goof up, I wonder? Maybe it is a deliberate omission? Surely a vehicle customer would be following the regular maintenance schedule irrespective of cost, wouldn't he?
Old 6th October 2010, 14:48   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
i generally drive alone. secondly i do not have problems in climbing gradients its just when u STOP on a steep incline like in a traffic and then say after 2 mins need to move on i get this problem
I see what you mean lodhra. When you are standing in a gradient, engage 1st gear and depress the clutch and brake. When the time comes for you to move, reduce the pressure on the clutch half way and move your right feet from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal and tread the pedal while slowly releasing the clutch. I am sorry to sound like stating the obvious, but this is what I do and the car moves without any jerk smoothly. You don't normally need to engage the hand brake which is a pain.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:40   #2679
Team-BHP Support

What you are saying sounds good in theory, but with the 2.2 its not really very easy to climb steep slopes.
I have seen that if on a steep slope you let rpm fall below 1100-1200 range, the vehicle starts slowing down, and eventually stalls, so either you keep your speed above 12kmph or so, which is often not possible due to extremely bad road or traffic.
I think the 3.0 manages much better at such low rpms.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:52   #2680
BHPian

In such a situation where the engine rpm falls below the threshold pointed out by tsk1979, you can blip the accelerator while momentarily clutching. This increases the rpm adequately to get the required torque. This is a trick learnt from the days of RE Bullet in Nilgiris.
Old 6th October 2010, 16:02   #2681
Team-BHP Support

What if the road is not capable of sustaining more than 12kmph, you keep blipping the throttle and pressing clutch again and again. I think it will damage your clutch.
Old 7th October 2010, 18:07   #2682
BHPian

hello

nice tips

i wanted to aks if u let go clutch half and move your foot from brake to gas pedal wont it slip back on an incline

though its drivers personal choice someone suggested that keeping the brakes pressed for long may damage the abs sensors in gx henec if u ahve to stop for few moments than apply parking brake

i wanted to ask if i regularly apply parking brakes will it damage the brakes
and what do i have to tell the service guy to check if i emply using parking brakes much

thank youprowler and tsk your insights ahve given me new things to try out

please do share your experiences

one more thing

i just got my car serviced today [1st]

they did not change the oil. the said for 2.2vtt the oil change wil be done after 15000 km or third service but the engine settings were changed

so now the car feels smooth

plus wheel alignment was again off the prblm reported earlier, the again rectified it

is it normal for wheel alignment to conk off regularly

3rd question with regards to punctures in tubeless tyres

how do u come to know if there is a small bolt or screw inside

i had one in my rear tyre which was noticed by a fellow driver and i repaired it

however they say u can drive max 15 - 20kms on a punctured tubless tre

so how does one know. are ther any after market fittments
Old 7th October 2010, 18:48   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Here are my comments, Lodhra:

- they will not change the oil, as that is what is mentioned in the service schedule. I would have recommend a change of the oil that came with the vehicle. Just a precautionary thing. Next time, at 5k kms, please do ask them to change.

- Never had a wheel alignment problem. Should not be happening. Do you feel you drive hard over bad roads?

- Tubeless tires can go on even with a nail in them, as long as you fill in air. The air leak will be very slow, akin to the regular leak one notices in tubed tire. Only sure way, IMHO, is to check the tires after lifting them at the service center.
Old 7th October 2010, 21:31   #2684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
...keeping the brakes pressed for long may damage the abs sensors in gx henec if u ahve to stop for few moments than apply parking brake

i wanted to ask if i regularly apply parking brakes will it damage the brakes...
Pardon me, lodhra, but I couldn't help .

Whoever fed you this rubbish, please feed him 100ml of quinine on behalf of Team-BHP. Maybe he'll retch up some more gems.

Sorry, I'm out of smileys.
Old 7th October 2010, 21:45   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Pardon me, lodhra, but I couldn't help .

Whoever fed you this rubbish, please feed him 100ml of quinine on behalf of Team-BHP. Maybe he'll retch up some more gems.

Sorry, I'm out of smileys.
OT here but i once visited a mechanic who told me that if I leave the handbrake for long the "brake springs" will wear out and the brakes will stop working...
He was also wise enough to inform me that when i park the car if the front wheels are turned outwards in any direction the steering will get damaged... and if the car is parked on an uneven surface for long periods of time the suspension of whichever wheel is compressed more due to the uneven angle will have to be replaced...
I shot out of there choking as i laughed..!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks