Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 00:14   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
^^ Kairalee - what fuel do you use? If you are using premium fuel / Shell, move to normal / ordinary diesel and check.
+1 - this will resolve the issue!
Old 30th August 2010, 09:05   #2507
Senior - BHPian

@Kairalee : This is engine running rich , The issue was discussed some time back on this thread. The issue has something to do with EGR valve opening getting clogged.

You need to do the following.

1. Use normal Diesel
2. Run your vehicle at > 80 KMph in 2nd gear for about 500 meter on an empty road. This will clear up the clogged valve.
3. If the problem persists use System-D on a tankful but it is not really preferred option since you have a new vehicle.

In addition to this the Safari manual says that you need to run the vehicle once a week for more then 80km /hr to keep the Catcon clean.

If your vehicle is a city driven vehicle once in a while drive to an empty ground , make sure that your engine is at working temprature ( needle at the middle) then in neutral press the accelarator pedal to the max RPM for 5-10 seconds some 3-4 times. This procedure is given in manual and is enough to clean the catcon.
Old 30th August 2010, 15:46   #2508
Senior - BHPian

@amit2k6:

For Cat-con cleaning, hitting the gas pedal fully (car is at rest) for 2-3 seconds for 2-3 times clears up the carbon contents more easily.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:49   #2509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@amit2k6:

For Cat-con cleaning, hitting the gas pedal fully (car is at rest) for 2-3 seconds for 2-3 times clears up the carbon contents more easily.
Yeah sure that is what Safari manual says but that high RPM drive suggestion ( more then 80kmph in 2nd gear for approx 500m) was for cleaning up EGR which causes this hickup in 2nd gear.
Old 30th August 2010, 17:23   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yeah sure that is what Safari manual says but that high RPM drive suggestion ( more then 80kmph in 2nd gear for approx 500m) was for cleaning up EGR which causes this hickup in 2nd gear.
2nd gear and 80kmph is pushing it in the 2.2. Use 3rd gear and 80kmph, where you will be at 3000RPM, for sometime, which should get the work done. But at a vehicle just done 1.5k, I doubt if the EGR is clogged so much. A fuel change might suffice.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:38   #2511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2nd gear and 80kmph is pushing it in the 2.2. Use 3rd gear and 80kmph, where you will be at 3000RPM, for sometime, which should get the work done. But at a vehicle just done 1.5k, I doubt if the EGR is clogged so much. A fuel change might suffice.
Hey I suffered from this hick-up in the initial days and believe me you need to push it to clear the EGR , When I faced this issue with in 2K Km I used System-D and the problem disappeared and came back after one tankful without system D then I tried the 80kmph in 2nd gear method and it worked.
Dadu posted this method earlier , he collected the feedback from all 2.2 VTT owners including me through PM and contacted TML. Earlier Safari used to come with 70mm EGR valve and this problem was visible even without premium fuel and there was this khrr -khrrr noise of opening and closing of valve. Later they replaced EGR valve with 90mm FOC ( costing 19K rupees) on his Safari as a result of this feedback and it worked. New Safari's come with 90mm EGR so the khrr-khrr noise and hiccup problem is gone but still it surfaces if you use premium fuel IMHO.

Still a better method is go for a long highway drive and push the Safari to max.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:07   #2512
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Kairalee - what fuel do you use? If you are using premium fuel / Shell, move to normal / ordinary diesel and check.
I use only normal diesel (HSD). I read about that all over this forum, so its only IOC or BP normal Diesel. I fill up only in these two bunks in Bangalore. The IOC is on the way to office and the BP bunk on the way back. I stick to these bunks, except when I go out of Bangalore, and even then only HSD from an IOC bunk.

Quote:
@Kairalee : This is engine running rich , The issue was discussed some time back on this thread. The issue has something to do with EGR valve opening getting clogged.

You need to do the following.

1. Use normal Diesel
2. Run your vehicle at > 80 KMph in 2nd gear for about 500 meter on an empty road. This will clear up the clogged valve.
3. If the problem persists use System-D on a tankful but it is not really preferred option since you have a new vehicle.

In addition to this the Safari manual says that you need to run the vehicle once a week for more then 80km /hr to keep the Catcon clean.

If your vehicle is a city driven vehicle once in a while drive to an empty ground , make sure that your engine is at working temprature ( needle at the middle) then in neutral press the accelarator pedal to the max RPM for 5-10 seconds some 3-4 times. This procedure is given in manual and is enough to clean the catcon.
I go for a highway drive every weekend (Thats what the Safari was bought for in the first place ). Have done Lepakshi and Somnathpur in the last two weekends after the Safari was bought. I have done 100kms/hr on several occasions but always made sure that the RPM was below 3000. Was just waiting for the 1500 kms service before a long highway drive and to max the throttle and go upto 120-130 kms/hr. Hitting Mahabalipuram this Sep 10th. Will do the 80kms/hr on 2rd gear then.
Thanks for detailed response Amit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@amit2k6:

I will do this today. Thanks mercedised.

Quote:
Hey I suffered from this hick-up in the initial days and believe me you need to push it to clear the EGR , When I faced this issue with in 2K Km I used System-D and the problem disappeared and came back after one tankful without system D then I tried the 80kmph in 2nd gear method and it worked.
Dadu posted this method earlier , he collected the feedback from all 2.2 VTT owners including me through PM and contacted TML. Earlier Safari used to come with 70mm EGR valve and this problem was visible even without premium fuel and there was this khrr -khrrr noise of opening and closing of valve. Later they replaced EGR valve with 90mm FOC ( costing 19K rupees) on his Safari as a result of this feedback and it worked. New Safari's come with 90mm EGR so the khrr-khrr noise and hiccup problem is gone but still it surfaces if you use premium fuel IMHO.

Still a better method is go for a long highway drive and push the Safari to max.
I really dont want to use System-D now in a new vehicle, but I will do the the max throttle in neutral gear and also do a high RPM drive at 80 km/hr on 3rd gear and see if the probem goes away.

Thanks Gurus for all the feedback. I will post my findings soon.

Except for this little issue, this is one great beast and nothing ever could come close to it in terms of driving pleasure and comfort.

Last edited by Kairalee : 31st August 2010 at 11:14.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:13   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
I use only normal diesel (HSD). I read about that all over this forum, so its only IOC or BP normal Diesel. I fill up only in these two bunks in Bangalore. The IOC is on the way to office and the BP bunk on the way back. I stick to these bunks, except when I go out of Bangalore, and even then only HSD from an IOC bunk.

I go for a highway drive every weekend (Thats what the Safari was bought for in the first place ). Have done Lepakshi and Somnathpur in the last two weekends after the Safari was bought. I have done 100kms/hr on several occasions but always made sure that the RPM was below 3000. Was just waiting for the 1500 kms service before a long highway drive and to max the throttle and go upto 120-130 kms/hr. Hitting Mahabalipuram this Sep 10th. Will do the 80kms/hr on 2rd gear then.
Thanks for detailed response Amit.

I will do this today. Thanks mercedised.

I really dont want to use System-D now in a new vehicle, but I will do the the max throttle in neutral gear and also do a high RPM drive at 80 km/hr on 3rd gear and see if the probem goes away.

Thanks Gurus for all the feedback. I will post my findings soon.

Except for this little issue, this is one great beast and nothing ever could come close to it in terms of driving pleasure and comfort.
Your is a new vehicle with what 2k Kms on the running ??, where do you get it serviced in bangalore.

If all these remedies dont work please post back, I have one more probable cause in mind.

Can you also check how does the smoke look when it jerks, next time it does. Just look in your ORVM.
Old 1st September 2010, 13:40   #2514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Your is a new vehicle with what 2k Kms on the running ??, where do you get it serviced in bangalore.

If all these remedies dont work please post back, I have one more probable cause in mind.

Can you also check how does the smoke look when it jerks, next time it does. Just look in your ORVM.

The odo is at 1546 kms.

I gave to the T.A.S.C near my place called Emm Emm motors based on feedback I got about this place from a few friends who give their Tata cars there. There are two Safari's among these and they all have given me very good reviews about this place. I particularly liked the indivdual atttention they give your car. They called me yesterday to enquire about the jerk issue I mentioned when I gave it for the first service. They've also advised me to take the vehicle back this weekend for a quick check again.

I did the "vehicle at rest/high rev for 3-5 seconds" solution yesterday and till now it happened just once when i was on a very light foot on the throttle pedal. Regular driving has no issues now. I will look out for the issue for another couple of days and this weekend when I am on the highway, I will also do the 2/3rd gear at 80km/hr solution too.

I missed looking at the OVRM when it did jerk today and its not recurred again. I look out for that next time.

Thanks very much for responding Dadu.

Last edited by Kairalee : 1st September 2010 at 13:46.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:55   #2515
BHPian

Welding Damage at A Pillar !!

An Update - if it may called that

My Safari was making noises especially when it ran over pot holes. The sound was akin to something hitting some-other thing somewhere before the driver area.

I tharefore decided to give it for an checkup and also an oil change / air filter cleaning. The vehicle needed these badly especially after my ~ 6500 / 7000 Km trip from Pune to Kolkata and back in May / June this year.

I suspected suspension / bushing damage especially as the vehicle had seen / conquered some very bad roads during this trip.

Anyway after some very detailed searching during which T*** disembled the entire fenders and the frontal grill, radiator, intercoooler etc the reason was afixed to welding (Spot Weld) joints - just below the A Pillar (where the A Pillar meet the body - just below the wind shield) failing.

While this area has to be welded again, Mr. KC at B U Bhandari (T***) offered to install a "Retro" kit which he called a shotgun kit. This basically entailed welding 2 brackets (amongst other brackets) made up of square tubes on the inner fender (Sorry chaps-it was raining heavily when he showed me the kit duly welded and Photographing it was totally out of my mind with the rain just pouring away). This retro kit has been brought out by TML for such weld failiure cases within the 2 year warranty and is not advertised.
I was informed that later vehicles (again not sure from when) have this in place.
This Shotgun Fender KIT has a TML part No and hence I believe Mr. KC at T***

Anyway after nearly 3 weeks at the T*** (a host of other jobs done as well), I got back the vehicle on Saturday (the 4th).

Now do I feel that the vehicle has less roll? OR it is because I did not ride this vehicle for nearly 3 weeks - That is the question (as in Hamlet)

Any way the vehicle feels much tighter and Yes I am loving it.

Edit: There some more chik-chik noise (also similar to welded joints becoming loose and rubbing against each other) that was diagnosed to the brake booster fixing nuts becoming loose

This post is for benefit of us, initial buyers (ADC, dadu, Jude, JKDas etc). Please check the area. (This area is under the Plastic cover which extendes from the windshield to the bonnet and this particular area has a rubber sheet covering it.

I was shown another vehicle ~ 6 months older than mine, with similar welding failure (you need to see the area carefully).

Last edited by kingshukt : 6th September 2010 at 13:59.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:35   #2516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
An Update - if it may called that
This post is for benefit of us, initial buyers (ADC, dadu, Jude, JKDas etc). Please check the area. (This area is under the Plastic cover which extendes from the windshield to the bonnet and this particular area has a rubber sheet covering it.

I was shown another vehicle ~ 6 months older than mine, with similar welding failure (you need to see the area carefully).
Hello
Kindly try to post some pics if you get a chance so that it benefits the mass
Thanks
Old 6th September 2010, 22:29   #2517
Senior - BHPian

Headsup

This is a headsup..
I have been informed that TML has come up with a new retro, "idler" desgin to arrest the t-belt slip off even after last years retro.
Will update more on this soon
Old 7th September 2010, 12:34   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
This is a headsup..
I have been informed that TML has come up with a new retro, "idler" desgin to arrest the t-belt slip off even after last years retro.
Will update more on this soon
I am aware of this second retro, with longer and thicker center pin in the idler but am not sure on how do they plan to retro it this time.

@Kinshuk, any pictures would have definitely helped as you know, without the problem occuring noone at T.A.S.S will work towards it.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:38   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Hi dadu,

Ive tried these remedies a couple if times and the issue seems to have become much less noticable, but not gone all together. There is absolutely no smoke when it jerks, i looked for it couple of times.

What could be that other possible cause you have in mind? I would want to try this out too.

Thanks you all for your advise.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:01   #2520
BHPian

Price of plastic cladding

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but could not find any other forum apt for this question.

I have one plastic cladding - piece i.e. abt 1 inch width just above the rear wheel well, pulled out. I was told by TATA service center - Tejswani @Hyd that small piece cost Rs. 1300/-

I wonder, how come when the back light assembly cost only Rs 900/- how can this lame piece of plastic cost 1300?

Any clue anyone?

Regards

Vivek

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks