Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 17:38   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
....Even though they used the word 'high speed diesel' ....
Don't worry; HSD is the nomenclature used for what we use as normal diesel for our cars.
A lower grade of diesel, widely used in shipping, is MDO, Marine Diesel Oil, dark brown to black in colour!
Old 11th August 2010, 16:18   #2477
BHPian

@condor - there lies the point I missed. so, the HSD mentioned in the owner's manual refers to the fuel that's used in our diesel cars. It made me to read more on diesel fuel and little bit on diesel engine too. Good stuff for a better understanding.

@anupmathur - thanks for the clarification; I did a bit of reading on this subject - thanks for the leads.

Back to the original subject - will fill normal diesel in my Safari from now on and see what difference it makes while driving. There's a 650 km drive (one way) on the cards for the coming week.

-Sunil.
Old 12th August 2010, 16:41   #2478

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Has anyone experienced water leaks inside the car in rains? The water is seeping inside the car in rains, heavily. I could'nt find the leak location and thus alll the carpets have sliding water over them when it rains. The front carpets are only getting wet. Rear carpets are fine. Please Help!
My experience with water leakage in the 2.2l check the following:
  1. Check the wiring inlet just behind the firewall
  2. Also, the wind shield has got a sealant which sometimes comes off which causes the leak on the front door mats on both sides. The service guys at TASS can do this job for you.
Old 12th August 2010, 19:48   #2479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug$y View Post
My experience with water leakage in the 2.2l check the following:
  1. Check the wiring inlet just behind the firewall
  2. Also, the wind shield has got a sealant which sometimes comes off which causes the leak on the front door mats on both sides. The service guys at TASS can do this job for you.
Where is the sealent?? Is it outside or inside??
Old 12th August 2010, 19:50   #2480
Senior - BHPian

I am asking this becuz I have read it on this thread:

When I asked the SC about Tie-rod change (for steering play) they said that there is no such thing in Safari? Could anybody please explain me this? I own a TCIC Safari.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:21   #2481
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am asking this becuz I have read it on this thread:

When I asked the SC about Tie-rod change (for steering play) they said that there is no such thing in Safari? Could anybody please explain me this? I own a TCIC Safari.

I guess then the SC guy is a nut. Safari TCIC has tie-rods, as possibly do all cars. I have replaced the tie-rods in my Safari.

That said the play in the stearing can come from 3 elements.

1) Tie-Rods
2) The centre metal bush. (It is a single bush made of brass - costing only Rs. 90 - fixing and lathe machine costs would be much more.)
3) The Stearing itself has something like a U & T combined pendulum that at times gets bent. I had this replaced and it was an expensive affair as far as labour was concerned - so if you do that then get it done outside.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:17   #2482

Quote:
Where is the sealent?? Is it outside or inside??
This is an adhesive used to seal the windshield rear/front and keep it weather proof in order to ensure that your car remains leak free.

In-case your car is parked in the open for a longer duration chances are that this sealant(which is applied right between the glass and the body surface) might give away due to heat or other external factors causing a leak.

You can find more info on the 3M website about this as well. A tube of this sealant costs approx about Rs.1200/- (as told to me by my SA at TASS).

Hope this solves your problem!
Old 13th August 2010, 16:16   #2483
Senior - BHPian

There is a regulator for the alternator right? Any idea how much it would cost?
Old 13th August 2010, 16:57   #2484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
There is a regulator for the alternator right? Any idea how much it would cost?
Lucas or Mico it will cost around Rs.3,500/- and better to take it outside distributor rathar than in the Tata Showroom.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:15   #2485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I guess then the SC guy is a nut. Safari TCIC has tie-rods, as possibly do all cars. I have replaced the tie-rods in my Safari.

That said the play in the stearing can come from 3 elements.

1) Tie-Rods
2) The centre metal bush. (It is a single bush made of brass - costing only Rs. 90 - fixing and lathe machine costs would be much more.)
3) The Stearing itself has something like a U & T combined pendulum that at times gets bent. I had this replaced and it was an expensive affair as far as labour was concerned - so if you do that then get it done outside.

I recently got the central link changed for 3000 Rs approx.. What are central metal bush? Is it the integrated part of central link. If you want I can post pictures of old central link.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:34   #2486
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari AC gas leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Lucas or Mico it will cost around Rs.3,500/- and better to take it outside distributor rathar than in the Tata Showroom.
Thanks

Guess I had to pay more for labour and some oil seal stuff ( total cost me 6.4k)

AC gas leak! Wasted a day at an AC shop. After a day of troubleshooting the pain point was found. Water from roof top AC met the AC pumping and helped it to create a hole

Will update cost involved soon.
Old 18th August 2010, 13:33   #2487
BHPian

hows the reliability of Safari these days? still lots of issues ? Have been going thru the thread and it seemed lots of niggles are still there in the product.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:22   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Could anybody tell me the actual location of the drain holes, that are situated near the wiper or besides there?
Old 20th August 2010, 21:19   #2489
BHPian

Hi all, my third free service is scheduled tomorrow, What i want to ask you all is that which engine oil is better the synthetic one which tata recommends or the regular one?

Also is there anything I should look out for or get the service representative to do in the third service.
Old 20th August 2010, 21:38   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Richie,

Go with regular oil. See no value add in moving to synthetic in your new vehicle. And, unless you have anything to report, let the TASS do their regular work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks