Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 12:05   #2461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
A leak from a sanitary pipe, as well as some plumbing work, right over our vehicle, has left a spot over the spoiler(?) portion in the roof, as well as the D pillar. Is a repaint the only way out, as per the dealer's advise? (they tried using some 3M solution, which has now made it look worse).

I remember reading about the spray cans available in the market. Can anyone please point me to one? Also, is it a D-I-Y job?

The vehicle colour is Arctic Silver.
if its a hard water mark (whitish rough patch), you can try lemon, squeeze it over the mark and use a cloth to rub it out.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:31   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone experienced water leaks inside the car in rains? The water is seeping inside the car in rains, heavily. I could'nt find the leak location and thus alll the carpets have sliding water over them when it rains. The front carpets are only getting wet. Rear carpets are fine. Please Help!

Last edited by mercedised : 9th August 2010 at 12:33.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:36   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Mercedised, these aren't leaks, these are openings in the floorboards that are there to drain water out. Unfortunately, when you're driving through waterlogged patches or puddles, the wheels splash water which comes in thru these draining holes

That's why your carpet is wet.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:40   #2464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Mercedised, these aren't leaks, these are openings in the floorboards that are there to drain water out. Unfortunately, when you're driving through waterlogged patches or puddles, the wheels splash water which comes in thru these draining holes

That's why your carpet is wet.
My Mistake. Actually, the water also seeps when the car is parked and it is raining. The majority of water seeping is when it is raining and the car is parked in rain. I suspect some holes are there which are resulting in the water seepage.

Could anyone tell me the un-protected holes through which th ewater comes inside?
Old 9th August 2010, 18:55   #2465
BHPian

@4X4: thanks for the reply; I quite liked the 'sauna belt' part of the reply too ;-). Initially I have been using the normal diesel in my safari and was tempted to move to branded diesel (Hi Speed Diesel) due to its better pulling (my openion. some of my friends felt it too). Ever since I am stuck to branded deiesel, I am reluctant to go back to normal diesel as the 2 tonner will be more sluggish. But, my findings from the Safari owners's manual and TBHP website (to follow latter part of this message) gave me good reassurance on branded diesel.

@condor: thanks for the reply. Your reply made me to do a bit of readig/research of the owner's manual and the TBHP website itself. Not sure what I understood is correct. But, my understanding is as below:

- High speed diesel conforming to IS 1460 or EN 590 or equivalent is recommended to be used as fuel for Tata Safari 2.2 VTT (refer page-92 of Owner's manual downloaded from Tata Motors website. I am yet to check what the printed owners manual came along with my Vehicle says.)

- Recommended fuel specification: Cetane Number (min) is 51 (refer to the same page of the owner's manual again).

My research in TBHP site took me to the post by dadu at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rformance.html. (In this process I also realized that it was a big-time discussion in the forum already). According to above the link, the cetane specification for normal and branded fuels are:

Now for the Cetane Specification by Oil Companies:-

Normal diesel from all brands has a Cetane number between 46 min - 48 max.

Premium diesel from IOC, IBP, HP, Shell etc. has a cetane number between 48 min - 52 max.

So, when colleating the above in formation, is the branded diesel (with cetane number 51 or higher) the manufacture-specified fuel for Safari 2.2 VTT? It is upto the experts to comment as my understanding on this may be wrong.

cheers,
Sunil.
Old 9th August 2010, 19:14   #2466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
My Mistake. Actually, the water also seeps when the car is parked and it is raining. The majority of water seeping is when it is raining and the car is parked in rain. I suspect some holes are there which are resulting in the water seepage.

Could anyone tell me the un-protected holes through which th ewater comes inside?
me too have the same issue.

Is it on the RHS, from just right the accelerator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
I think it can be repaired if it is related to Carbon brushes or rectifier circuit. if repairable the i think 10% of what tsk has suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
@jkdas:

Alternator is completely repairable. Check the alternator in any decent electrical shop or the best is to show it to a Lucas TVS / Bosch service centre.
OT; his last post at TBHP. RIP my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Going by personal experience, a repaired alternator is a stop gap arrangement, and can give away any time if not done property. So if you can find a competent mechanic who can fix proper parts in the alternator, it will be best.
In your case looks like a regulator or rectifier since you are getting occaisonal drops.
however, do not jump to conclusions.
Fix a multimeter to the battery terminals and compare voltage with what you see in a newer safari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I got the alternator serviced at a local workshop. They changed the carbon, it costs around Rs. 1000 at Lucas. But even after 10 years they were in decent shape and did not need replacement. It was a preventive maintenance.

The servicing cost was around Rs. 500.
Bless you all ! hope it's repairble. Battery is almost down, hope I can crank her tomorrow morning and drive her to my local Tata workshop who said it is repairable.

Last edited by jkdas : 9th August 2010 at 19:18.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:11   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
me too have the same issue.

Is it on the RHS, from just right the accelerator?
Yes, somewhere near the accelerator, I suspect. Am really gone MAD on this problem. it's been 2 years since this problem persists and nothing done by TASS. Will get their neck under my thighs, this time I go there.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:18   #2468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, somewhere near the accelerator, I suspect. Am really gone MAD on this problem. it's been 2 years since this problem persists and nothing done by TASS. Will get their neck under my thighs, this time I go there.
Try this.
Get a plate with some hot coal and sambrani(Tamil word, Urdu word is Uudh) powder. The stuff the wandering fakirs use. It gives out a lot of smoke.
You can also use some low quality agarbathi's.

The idea is smoke. Lots of it.

Close all the doors and windows of the vehicle and place this inside. Be along with it so that its not accidentally dropped and hence burns up your carpet.

Get someone to spot from outside. The thick smoke should be easily visible. You got your leak.

NOTE: Please be very careful when dealing with fire and combustible materials inside your car.

Last edited by bblost : 9th August 2010 at 20:20.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:42   #2469
Senior - BHPian

@bblost:

Great IDEA! Thanks. Will getback the feedback here when the task is completed.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:43   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
...Is it on the RHS, from just right the accelerator?...

Quote:
I believe JK (or was it?) had posted this issue before and Dadu's recommendation was to find and plug the hole that is behind the dash / firewall. There is supposed to be a rubber stopper, the absence of which causes water to enter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
cheers,
Sunil.
Sunil,

This is my take after driving the 2.2 for a year and trying out various fuels & brands - stick to IOCL normal diesel. I do not have any manual quotes or studies to support this, just my daily experience, for what its worth.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:44   #2471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Try this.

NOTE: Please be very careful when dealing with fire and combustible materials inside your car.
Will try

I think water is seeping in via the wiring which is where I felt water.

Happy: I found it like dadu said; it was not the cause.

Last edited by jkdas : 9th August 2010 at 20:45.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:37   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I believe JK (or was it?) had posted this issue before and Dadu's recommendation was to find and plug the hole that is behind the dash / firewall. There is supposed to be a rubber stopper, the absence of which causes water to enter.

Sunil,

This is my take after driving the 2.2 for a year and trying out various fuels & brands - stick to IOCL normal diesel. I do not have any manual quotes or studies to support this, just my daily experience, for what its worth.
Happywheels,

Your post is worth the experience, which is the most validated one as we Safarians tend to believe more than what the TASS or the manufacturer themeselves say, in many occasions.

The general idea about vehicle fuel is to stick to manufacturer's recommendations. I saw that a big discussion going on in this forum about what fuel to use with 2.2's - either high speed diesel, normal diesel or normal diesel with system D etc. So I thought of checking the manuel for manufacturer's recommendations - to my surprise, this is what I saw in the owner's manual. How about other's view on this subject?

BTW, I can't agree more on the way ideas and information passed via this forum. Simply awesome.

jkd - add me too to the list of people whose Safari has water seeping in (at RHS)while parked in rain. I could not really locate from where water comes in; but my guess is that water enters through the gap between the body and the fiont door. Water cant enter from top or sides of the door becuase rubber beeding prevents it; so it flows down and when it reaches near the floor of the car, it flows to the carpet as there is not much height difference (only the plastic strap with 'Safari' written on it is placed there) between the edge and the floor where carpet lies. When I open the RHS front door I can see some water on the 'Safari plastic strap' at the corner (the corner close the RHS front wheel) and the carpet near that area is wet too.

My work around to this issue was to put the body cover when the vehicle is parked in my car parking area (designated open parking area for my flat). But this is not practical if we go out somewhere and park the car in an open parking.

-Sunil.
Old 10th August 2010, 14:09   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@condor: thanks for the reply. Your reply made me to do a bit of readig/research of the owner's manual and the TBHP website itself. Not sure what I understood is correct. But, my understanding is as below:

- High speed diesel conforming to IS 1460 or EN 590 or equivalent is recommended to be used as fuel for Tata Safari 2.2 VTT (refer page-92 of Owner's manual downloaded from Tata Motors website. I am yet to check what the printed owners manual came along with my Vehicle says.)

- Recommended fuel specification: Cetane Number (min) is 51 (refer to the same page of the owner's manual again).
BSIII and BSIV Normal Diesel has a minimum Cetane of 51 and I could only find the diesel specs from IOC which meet IS 1460 specifications, so can be sure about IOC.

Quote:
My research in TBHP site took me to the post by dadu at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rformance.html. (In this process I also realized that it was a big-time discussion in the forum already). According to above the link, the cetane specification for normal and branded fuels are:

Now for the Cetane Specification by Oil Companies:-

Normal diesel from all brands has a Cetane number between 46 min - 48 max.

Premium diesel from IOC, IBP, HP, Shell etc. has a cetane number between 48 min - 52 max.

So, when colleating the above in formation, is the branded diesel (with cetane number 51 or higher) the manufacture-specified fuel for Safari 2.2 VTT? It is upto the experts to comment as my understanding on this may be wrong.

cheers,
Sunil.
Use Normal Diesel in your Safari, if you feel the need/ urge to use Diesel with Additives(Speed diesel), I would suggest make your own, by adding 1ml of System D / ltr of diesel, one tankfull every Quarter. System D is the most suitable additive available for TATA Diesel vehicles.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:33   #2474
BHPian

dadu: Thanks for the clarification. As everyone confirms that normal diesel works perfect with Safari, I will switch to normal diesel in no time.

Me too saw the diesel specification published by IOCL at: http://www.iocl.com/Products/DieselSpecifications1.pdf . Even though they used the word 'high speed diesel' for the spec (including cetane number), I hope it is the same for normal diesel as well.

That was one quick clarification; thanks dadu for clarifying my confusion. I'm sure it clarifies many others in the forum too.

-cheers
Sunil.
Old 10th August 2010, 17:37   #2475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sunil_k_u : - High speed diesel conforming to IS 1460 or EN 590 or equivalent is recommended to be used as fuel for Tata Safari 2.2 VTT
@Sunil, " High Speed Diesel " mentioned here is not the same as Hi-Speed from BP. There is another classification of diesel - High-Speed Diesel (HSD) vs Light Diesel Oil (LDO). All diesel we use in our vehicles & automotive applications is HSD. The Hi-Speed that BP sells is just regular diesel (HSD) with additives.

Pls check Wiki for further reading.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks