Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 14:44   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
What is the price of Front Brake Pads for 2.2? I removed them yesterday to check the status of the pads and it doesn't look like it will last for another 500KM. I noticed the pads on the inner side of the discs are the ones which are worn out much more than the outer ones. Is this normal?

And is it okay if I change them myself. It looks like a pretty straight forward job, Pulling out the old pads and putting in the new ones.
Some differences will be there in their wear, I would say swap them for longevity, you can change it yourself as long as you dont forget about the locks on it.

Do you have your own toolset or do you take help from a local workshop for this.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:27   #2432

Safari engine trouble

Hi all, I am new to team bhp & writing this post with reference to my Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 EX that has been given for addressing the following problems:

a) Heavy knocking of engine with a Krrrr….noise whilst you accelerate in any gear had been observed just a day prior to the car being handed over to the service centre.

b) Sometimes during starting the glow plug, sedimenter indicator & the service lamp (all 3 yellow lamps) don’t come on except all other indicators (in red). The engine cranks but doesn’t fire. After several attempts of re-inserting the ignition key, the yellow indicators come back to life by default, and the engine starts.

c) On the highway at a speed of about 100 -110 km/h the engine suddenly dies down while in motion, the dashboard lamps come on as in pre - ignition position but the engine stops firing. Not only is this extremely dangerous for my family (with a baby on board) but I have to maneuver the car with clutch pressed and roll it within the same motion to the side of the road. Post this the car cranks but refuses to start. The service lamp then glows for about 3 secs and then after the next several attempts to restart everything is normal.

d) The engine is losing power absolutely above 3100 rpm something which has been brought to my notice by the service engineer himself post the car being handed over to the service center. The car loses entire pick up beyond this point of RPM.

e) The temperature gauge operates alongwith the acceleration. On removal of the foot from the gas pedal the temperature needle also goes down and when you accelerate, it reaches half (between Cold & Hot)

f) Had already reported a water leakage problem on the 2nd day of delivery of vehicle from the showroom which was rectified by the service advisor, cause being the a/c pipe which had not been fixed whilst the delivery. But now there is again a leak at the front passenger foot area and the carpet is completely soaked in water (problem has been routed through your online portal as well)

e) The rear de-froster as well as the defrosters in the ORVM (as mentioned in your manual) are not functioning effectively

The vehicle has been handed over to the service center for the above issues to be resolved on the 17th of July 2010 and as on date none of the above jobs have been rectified.

The laptop connected to the ECU on the very first day has not shown any error codes (till date) whatsoever due to which it is increasingly difficult to trace the actual problem.

In the meanwhile the vehicle had also been sent to Delphi once & once when their team came down to the workshop itself to check the fuel injection systems as well as the rail pressure but they have confirmed there are no anomalies based on the fuel injection system.

Under these circumstances, neither the Service center nor the TML service engineer has been able to give me a confirmed date on which I can hope to get my car back in working condition.

It has almost been about 15days and still more days to go with no assurity or way forward given. Have been regularly following up with the TML engineer only to be told that the vehicle is in safe hands. Have also mailed the customer care and they have assured they are working on this.
Request all safari gurus to guide me through this situation
Old 31st July 2010, 22:08   #2433
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is be patient. The procedure they usually follow is first attempt trouble shooting by themselves after which they get TML involved into the process. It does take them hell a lot of time to diagnose stuff. DOnt be surprised if you car stays with them for a month or more. But do ask them for a replacement alternate vehicle in that case. Its better that they fix it than you having trouble with a BOB.
From all you have mentioned, I suspect, ecu problems with harness replacement and entire fuel delivery system replacement. Maybe a rat has eaten into the wiring harness causing all the malfunctions to occur.
BUt stay patient without becoming one and keep the pressure on them.

Await your updates on the resolution.
Old 31st July 2010, 22:26   #2434
BHPian

@bug$y-Have they checked the alternator? As you mentioned about temp guage the alterntor's voltage control system(or what ever it is called please rectify me) could have gone kaput. Does the headlight intensity increases when you raise engine rpm? If yes then its definatly the alternator .
Old 1st August 2010, 22:15   #2435
BHPian

Hi Guys - Form las t few days my Safari 2.2 is making more engine noice, specially when running, it sounds like 3000 rpm but meter shows only 2000. Also its make more vibration an noice at 100km then before. Any suggestion what could be the problem?
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:28   #2436
BHPian

Hi everybody. Now my beast is exactly 1 year old and it has started giving the RPM fluctuating problem. When I start the engine the RPM fluctuates wildly between 800-1000. After driving for a few minutes this dissapears. I have been filling regular diesel from the same petrol pump (BP) for the last six months. No fuel additives used either. I will take it down the service centre to show this to them. But is there anything else Ii can do to check and/or rectify this problem myself. Guru's please advise. Tx.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:29   #2437

@jaysmokesleaves - thanks for your valuable inputs. As specified in my earlier post Delphi team has already ruled out any anomalies in the fuel injection system after having checked the vehicle twice once at their own workshop and second time at the service centre. No issues of any rats having eaten any wiring either. These have been checked thoroughly not only by the workshop but by TML guys also. As you have rightly mentioned the workshop did a step by step check of all things possible from their end to troubleshoot before the TML guys took over.

What irritates me the most is the fact that although the SA had done everything possible under the guidance of the plant experts (he was being instructed continuously on phone) the TML champ began allover as if the guys at the workshop cant be trusted. Then he was scanning all graphs that had been displayed on the laptop and mailing them to god knows who...(think his seniors) whom he kept referring to as experts. Funnily enough no error codes were displayed inspite of the laptop having been reset and restarted a dozen times.
The TML engineer was completely blank at every point in time whenever I questioned him on the status and kept assuring me that the car was in safe hands. Apparently, from day 1 that my bull has been in the workshop I have noticed a lot of scratches, seat covers that have gone black and the workshop guys were almost one short of dancing on my vehicle.
Although I have bought these things to the notice of every senior on that shop floor just to ensure that they give me my vehicle spotless the way it was handed over to them (I’m too finicky)

At one point I suggested the TML engr to get the plant guy and not just hang in their experimenting on my bull as though it was a guinea pig. He said we are doing everything possible and that there is no need to get him as yet. (That’s great)

@ EFF-EIGHT-BEE - Thanks for your inputs too but, we haven’t reached the stage two of problem solving as yet. The guys are still working on the Krrr.. noise and the knocking itself.

Okay, now on the 30th July 2010 I get a call from this TML engineer who tells me the plant expert is there (finally!) and taking trials of the vehicle.

I was in office in a meeting told him will call later. At 8pm when I reached home I gave him a call and that is when he told me the Krrr noise and the knocking problem has been solved. Due to poor network coverage the guy wasn’t able to talk much. All he told me was that they are planning to go on a 50Km trial run tomo.
Saturday 31st July 2010 I went to the workshop to personally see the development. Car is lying in one corner and the hood is open. TML engineer wasn’t there. I spoke to the SA who was working closely with the TML & plant expert. He told me that the RFF/HLA (Roller Finger Follower/Hydraulic Lash Adjuster was the culprit for all this mess. That part was damaged and has been replaced by the plant expert and assured that the problem has been completely rectified.

Does this mean they opened the engine and have tampered with the stock unit? I'm scared.
Now the water leakage and the temperature gauge issue is being looked into and subsequently the Defogger will also be checked and rectified if any problem is seen.

Would request all seniors to kindly advise what exactly, is the function of the RFF/HLA, and how can actually solve the problem of Krrrr noise and Knocking. Secondly, how are the panel indicator (yellow lights going off) linked with this? Is this also related to the fuel input in the internal combustion chamber of the engine (Sorry I may sound lame in technicalities)

Also, the SA told me they would remove the entire carpet (which involves removing all the seats inside) & get it shampooed FOC. Is this okay or should I just get it vacuumed. Lest I find too many squeaks in the car due to their callous work on for which the workshops are well known for.

In such cases arent they suppose to replace a vehicle which comes up with such a serious problem within the 1st 10000Kms as what happens across the world?
or am I asking too much? (I mean this is a std practice with well known brands across the world. Just a thought)

MODS: Please excuse this long post. Just want to give details to all the concerned members of this forum.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd August 2010 at 11:35. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Also Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:46   #2438
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Snake View Post
Hi Guys - Form las t few days my Safari 2.2 is making more engine noice, specially when running, it sounds like 3000 rpm but meter shows only 2000. Also its make more vibration an noice at 100km then before. Any suggestion what could be the problem?

This could be due to choking of air filter. Dusty condition require frequent cleaning and also it could be due the bad fuel quality.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:52   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Some differences will be there in their wear, I would say swap them for longevity, you can change it yourself as long as you dont forget about the locks on it.

Do you have your own toolset or do you take help from a local workshop for this.
Thanks Dadu. I am using my own tool set. I didn't get time to buy the brake pads. Hopefully this weekend, I should be able to buy them and replace it.

@Bugsy: Good to know that they have found the issue. I don't know whether it makes sense to replace the vehicle or the whole engine because even I dont know what the RFF/HLA are for. Safari gurus can advice you more on that.
You could have asked for loaner car while your vehicle was in workshop. The TASS usually provide you a standby car whenever the issue goes upto TML.

Last edited by Holyghost : 2nd August 2010 at 13:05.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:22   #2440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Thanks Dadu. I am using my own tool set. I didn't get time to buy the brake pads. Hopefully this weekend, I should be able to buy them and replace it.

@Bugsy: Good to know that they have found the issue. I don't know whether it makes sense to replace the vehicle or the whole engine because even I dont know what the RFF/HLA are for. Safari gurus can advice you more on that.
You could have asked for loaner car while your vehicle was in workshop. The TASS usually provide you a standby car whenever the issue goes upto TML.
Thanks Holyghost - I have already got a standby car from TASS. The initial week i didnt really bother asking for it but as soon as i realised that i wasnt going to get my bull soon i demanded one ASAP.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:48   #2441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Snake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
This could be due to choking of air filter. Dusty condition require frequent cleaning and also it could be due the bad fuel quality.
DO check the air filter as suggested by v&v, and along with that drain the sedimenter located under the tank.
The procedure is specified in the manual.
When I went to Leh this time, I was having similar problem with lack of power and also increased vibrations. After sedimenter draining, problem went away 90%, and after air filter cleaning, it went away 100%.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:24   #2442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
DO check the air filter as suggested by v&v, and along with that drain the sedimenter located under the tank.
The procedure is specified in the manual.
When I went to Leh this time, I was having similar problem with lack of power and also increased vibrations. After sedimenter draining, problem went away 90%, and after air filter cleaning, it went away 100%.
Thanks V&V and tsk1979 for your suggestions, i am going to try both the solutions and will post results.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:21   #2443
BHPian

Hi everyone, My safari is going to be a year old a few days from now and covered about 8500 kms, What I want to ask is that according to the manual the third service is after 15,000 kms or 12 months whichever is earlier, so should I go for it now or wait to complete 15K kms. and if I wait wont it cause a problem cause the manual says that the servicing should be done as per the schedule given in the book.Please advise.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:22   #2444
BHPian

I think waiting for 15,000km would be another year for you, would say you get service done arround 10,000km. If you dont TSAS may raise that point if there is a warranty check later.
Old 5th August 2010, 06:51   #2445
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi everyone, My safari is going to be a year old a few days from now and covered about 8500 kms, What I want to ask is that according to the manual the third service is after 15,000 kms or 12 months whichever is earlier, so should I go for it now or wait to complete 15K kms. and if I wait wont it cause a problem cause the manual says that the servicing should be done as per the schedule given in the book.Please advise.
service schedule is either kms or time. Hence don't wait for 15k get it serviced before 12 months completion. If delayed there will be warrenty issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks