Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 10:38   #2356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
OK thanks..!! Maybe I was just being a bit too skeptical.. so no clutch for now.

Next question ;

What is the life of the front suspension of a 4x4 2.2 Safari.? Im referring to the shocks & the balljoints upfront in specific.
I recently did a wheel alignment.. the chap told me there is some play in the ball joints.. and should be replaced. I think some play is normal.. more play is trouble.

He jacked the tire and shook it with both hands. It moved a few mm here n there. Does that reflect a need for replacement? I thought it was normal.

Please advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
You mean the rear bushes?
How can you tell? And how to diagnose.
I find the ride very soft and comfortable and non bumpy at the rear.
What can you tell based upon the review note of my front suspension in my earlier post?
My Safari was going here and there kind of. High speed curves was going wider than it should prior to getting the suspension job. Now, its as if its back on rails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I replaced my front ball joint and bushes at 35K. I guess it was too early for ball joint.
But mine had some play. My front left rims was scraping something inside wheel arches, couldn't find out what and where it is scraping and hence changed the loose ball joints and bushes.
Wow! do you off road or so? Bushes, yah ok I guess, but joint ! How much did it cost you?
Old 13th July 2010, 11:47   #2357
Team-BHP Support

Put the vehicle in 4th gear, rpm 2000. Leave the acclerator pedal, and then floor it immediately. Do you feel a sharp kick, as if some play is there.
This is the linkage bush.
For other bushes, as you go over bumps(not pothole, but bumpy road with tar, like you see in villages, or smooth bumpy dirt trails) you will hear "duk duk sounds".

then there is the anti roll bar bush.
Go at medium speed over a big speed breaker, slow enough that you do not jump, but fast enough that the front suspension travels. Do you hear a chun chun?

Normally a visual inspection of the bushes reveals all that is wrong.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:26   #2358
Senior - BHPian

No duk duk and chun chun sounds as of now.. but I will go again to TASS for a thorough visual inspection.
Thanks for the info.
Old 17th July 2010, 16:28   #2359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Put the vehicle in 4th gear, rpm 2000. Leave the acclerator pedal, and then floor it immediately. Do you feel a sharp kick, as if some play is there.
This is the linkage bush.

For other bushes, as you go over bumps(not pothole, but bumpy road with tar, like you see in villages, or smooth bumpy dirt trails) you will hear "duk duk sounds".

then there is the anti roll bar bush.
Go at medium speed over a big speed breaker, slow enough that you do not jump, but fast enough that the front suspension travels. Do you hear a chun chun?

Normally a visual inspection of the bushes reveals all that is wrong.
Is this the steering linkage bush you are talking about ? Possible for you to post a picture ?
Old 18th July 2010, 10:50   #2360
BHPian

Can anyone let me know from where can i download tata safari 3.0 user/service manual in pdf format.I have the 2.2 one but its kind of not accurate for my 3.0 for eg. even the engine bay seems a lot different.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:26   #2361
BHPian

Yesterday I faced a strange problem on my 3 litre beast.
After I crank up the engine and the moment I take it out of my building the engine dies down and refuses to start again.I mean the battery functions and I can hear the engine crank but it just refuses to start.
On calling the Tata service they said that there was an airbubble in the fuel and on pressing the peer pump very close to the airfilter once or twice , the beast starts up without any hicups and no problem was observed during the whole day, after that.

Today also the same thing happened I followed the same procedure of pressing the peer pump and then only the engine started again.

But is this going to be a daily routine I mean what if this happens at any signal or during peak hours as I do not want to get down and open the bonnet and do all this stuff before I can get my beast moving again not to mention the goodwishes from the vehicles stuck behind my beast.

What can be the real reason of this?
1. Bad fuel . I doubt that because I have been filling up from the same diesel bunk for the past one year.
2. I can't think of anything else.

Safari gurus, help.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:16   #2362
BHPian

I would suggest a full tax refuel once and see if it occurs again. It must have caught air when the fuel was too low in the tank I guess.

Refuel to full tank, press the air lock release bulb/rubber boll few times and hopefully it will not occur again

Rajeev
Old 19th July 2010, 11:37   #2363
BHPian

Guys I need your help on Battery for my Tata Safari 3.0L

The car has run some 30,500 kms in last 3yr 10mnts. and the Amaron OEM battery is now showing its age.

Its almost dead in the morning but does start the car in two-three cranks...I am told it might risk the starter and alternator and hence need immediate replacement.

So suggest me this:

1.) Which is Better: Amaron or Exide?
2.) Which is Better: Amaron or Powerzone which is a Amaron brand itself or both will be same?
3.) What should be the approximate cost. I enquired about Amaron and I was told the MRP is 5300 and the cost will be Appx. 4500-4800 after taking my battery (replacement value Rs 400-500)

Is Rs4500 for Amaron with 2 yr. warranty good? (18 months replacement + 6 months xyz coverage)

Rajeev
Old 19th July 2010, 13:52   #2364
Distinguished - BHPian

Check out the Tata green battery which offers the same warranty as Amaron 3 year with a lower cost.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:08   #2365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
... pdf format.I have the 2.2 one ...
Where did you get it from?
Old 19th July 2010, 15:51   #2366
BHPian

See my comments inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
So suggest me this:

1.) Which is Better: Amaron or Exide?
- Amaron

2.) Which is Better: Amaron or Powerzone which is a Amaron brand itself or both will be same?
- Dont know, I think Amaron will be better.

3.) What should be the approximate cost. I enquired about Amaron and I was told the MRP is 5300 and the cost will be Appx. 4500-4800 after taking my battery (replacement value Rs 400-500)
- I changed my stock battery to Amaron Flo (2 Yrs replacement + 2 Yrs xyz). Amaron helpline, the bangalore distributor and my tata service guy told me that this is the only type of Amaron which can be used for Safari 2.2. For 3.0 may be you can use Amaron Go.

Is Rs4500 for Amaron with 2 yr. warranty good? (18 months replacement + 6 months xyz coverage)
- For Amaron Flo I paid Rs. 6500 (No trade in of old battery). So for Amaron GO the price looks good.

Rajeev
Old 19th July 2010, 15:53   #2367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Can anyone let me know from where can i download tata safari 3.0 user/service manual in pdf format.I have the 2.2 one but its kind of not accurate for my 3.0 for eg. even the engine bay seems a lot different.
Can you share the 2.2 workshop manual please!
Old 19th July 2010, 15:55   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Check out the Tata green battery which offers the same warranty as Amaron 3 year with a lower cost.
Tata Green has not really been very popular. The Tata service center guy himself told me that there have been some problems with Tata Green battery of late.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:32   #2369
Senior - BHPian

Hi
The battery of my safari conked off at approx 40k kms and I changed to the same specification as the OEM battery. Paid 4300 approx for a new battery (this is after exchange for the old one)

BTW one issue plaguing my vehicle is when I brake hard the vehicles rear wheels lock itself and sometimes the rear portion of the car skids left or right, dangerously. It even skids at speeds of 70-80km/hr on hard braking. This was on dry surface and not on wet roads.
Any idea what could be the issue and what could I do to set it ok. The tyres have a decent enough tread left in them and should easily run for another 15k kms.
I keep a tyre PSI of 32 front and rear. Should I further reduce the rear tyre pressure? If so then by how much?
As the vehicles so lite on the rear, could this be the issue??
Old 19th July 2010, 17:15   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share the 2.2 workshop manual please!
I don't remember where I downloaded this manual. For now, you can download it from here: http://219.91.155.36/SafariDicor.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks