Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 14:26   #2326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I am able to engage gear after double clutching(Pumping clutch paddle 2-3 times)

Due to very less gap , cover on the gear rod is torn

Cut it short

Gave my Safari for a suspension work at a local Tata garage.Expecting a bomb..
Old 8th July 2010, 15:52   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Whats was the OBD code for this Error ??

yeah!! they tend to do that with naive customers.
when i drive the vehicle in Serious traffic with AC on or high speed with AC on, it shows Check Engine.(not necessarly every time i have purchased it 1 month ago and i got it only 2 times)

i guess this issue is discussed in Page 103.

i guess the TASS guys are reffering to Vaccum Accumlator.

after the service it never came.

and the TASS guys tell that its some component in ECU, which is malfunctioning and it will not impact any thing, but they cant replace.

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 8th July 2010 at 15:56. Reason: Vaccum
Old 8th July 2010, 15:52   #2328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am able to engage gear after double clutching(Pumping clutch paddle 2-3 times)
So in this case the problem will not be solved by altering /bending gear lever in any way the problem is deep down. Write to Tata customer care website / shout /escalate/involve regional service manager/ Visit another A.S.S with better people.

Quote:
Due to very less gap , cover on the gear rod is torn
Nothing to do with gap , This cover ( called gator) will be changed under warrenty , Once they are taking it off you will notice that the rod underneath is not smooth and friction with that is the cause , So ask them to cover the rough portion on rod with tape before they put a new leather cover.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:21   #2329
BHPian

Hi Tanver, glad to hear that your troubles are at an end and i commend you for your patience in your dealings with TASS

A colleague of mine is facing a problem with his Safari 2.2 Dicor and given your wide experience on this issue i was wondering if you could shed some light on the matter

After Driving a few Km's at over 60 kmph the service light comes on and the Vehicle loses all power and then drives very very sluggishly. TASS has already replaced the ECU but the problem persists.

His Safari has clocked around 40,000 kms and the problem has been there for a while now.

What in your view should be looked into?
Old 8th July 2010, 16:25   #2330
Team-BHP Support

Hi Manuuj, there can be many things. Injectors, fuel pump, filters etc.,
Have the Tata guys plugged in the laptop after this light comes on?
What is the error code?
Does this problem come at slow speed also(2000-3000rpm driving in 1st and second gear) or only when speed has been high for some time?
Old 8th July 2010, 16:38   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hi Manuuj, there can be many things. Injectors, fuel pump, filters etc.,
Have the Tata guys plugged in the laptop after this light comes on?
What is the error code?
Does this problem come at slow speed also(2000-3000rpm driving in 1st and second gear) or only when speed has been high for some time?
The TASS people did plug in the laptop when the light was on..i will find out what error code came up from the owner of the vehicle.

He did confirm that the problem persists even at low speeds and 1st or 2nd gear while driving within NCR (The vehicle is based in NOIDA)

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:45   #2332
Team-BHP Support

Also ask him if temp guage goes slightly above the half mark.
Ask him if he keeps driving when engine is in sluggish mode, does the temp guage move?
Details like amount of black smoke, or color of smoke(black,blue,white) etc., will help.
But best thing is to find out the error code, because that tells the exact symptom(though diagnosing the problem is altogether different thing)
Old 8th July 2010, 17:42   #2333
BHPian

I just called TASS works manager, he told me that hopefully problem is solved. They tested it on new safari in there stockyard with help of tata motors engineers, they said they moved console little backwards.
Old 8th July 2010, 18:50   #2334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just called TASS works manager, he told me that hopefully problem is solved. They tested it on new safari in there stockyard with help of tata motors engineers, they said they moved console little backwards.
Can you post picture on how it was touching so we can understand the problem better. Somehow I have a feeling that works manager is BSing .
Old 9th July 2010, 09:30   #2335
BHPian

Will post it today, When I try to engage 2nd or reverse gera there is alwats "Khat" sound, Gear lever touches the gator evreytime.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:29   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will post it today, When I try to engage 2nd or reverse gera there is alwats "Khat" sound, Gear lever touches the gator evreytime.

Gator is that leather thing .. with a Square plastic things around if you want to see you can pull it out using a screw driver your self .. It can not make a khat sound,.
you mean it touches the consoll where your sterio is mounted ? Now reverse gear is towards the driver so how touching something can explain khat sound in the case of reverse ? And that is the reason works manager's explanation of pushing back console sounds fishy( I assume by thw word console you mean the console where Sterno + AC controls are mounted)
Old 9th July 2010, 14:02   #2337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
when i drive the vehicle in Serious traffic with AC on or high speed with AC on, it shows Check Engine.(not necessarly every time i have purchased it 1 month ago and i got it only 2 times)

i guess this issue is discussed in Page 103.

i guess the TASS guys are reffering to Vaccum Accumlator.

after the service it never came.

and the TASS guys tell that its some component in ECU, which is malfunctioning and it will not impact any thing, but they cant replace.
If the TASS guy mentions that some component in ECU is malfunctioning, I suggest you pick up cudgels and have it replaced. Or you might want to let the 'sleeping dogs lie'. I prefer the first course.
Experts, your comments on a possible course of action please.
Old 9th July 2010, 15:28   #2338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Gave my Safari for a suspension work at a local Tata garage.Expecting a bomb..
Tie rods, lower and upper arms(?), bushes at front and rear, and that long rod ( of whose name I forget) etc will be changed.

Parts cost including Total/Elf and oil filer comes to 17k.Labor will be extra. I should get the Safari ready by tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-photo0019-large.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-photo0020-large.jpg  

Old 9th July 2010, 17:40   #2339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Gator is that leather thing .. with a Square plastic things around if you want to see you can pull it out using a screw driver your self .. It can not make a khat sound,.
you mean it touches the consoll where your sterio is mounted ? Now reverse gear is towards the driver so how touching something can explain khat sound in the case of reverse ? And that is the reason works manager's explanation of pushing back console sounds fishy( I assume by thw word console you mean the console where Sterno + AC controls are mounted)
Ok let me clear 2 things

1. When I put first gear my hand on gear knob touches the stereo
2. When I put reverse or second gater then then lever touches the square plastic, and it creates Khat sound
Old 9th July 2010, 20:52   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Fuel Sedimenter Light - Solved

Just wanted to share a recent discovery related to the Fuel Sedimenter in Safari.

During a recent trip to Himachal I had the Fuel Sedimenter Lamp suddenly come on. I had got the vehicle filled up from a petrol pump in Narkanda. I stopped the vehicle and immediately drained the Diesel from the Sedimenter. The light went off but re-appeared after some time. I again stopped and drained the Sedimenter and the light turned off only to re-appear after some time. This happened four times and after the fourth time the light remained off.

As a precaution I took the vehicle to a newly opened TASS in my hometown and asked them to check. They did the same thing (Opened the Drain Plug, drained the Diesel and then tightened it back). Only this time the light did not go off and remained on permanently. On further investigation I was told that either the Sedimenter or the Drain Plug is faulty and they will need to replace the entire Sedimenter since both items are part of the same kit. Cost Rs. 5000/- approx since this is not covered under warranty.

I had my doubts so I did not get it replaced. Next day I took my vehicle to my usual TASS and they fixed the issue in a couple of minutes. Apparently the Drain Plug (Which is also a Sensor) was tightened too much causing it to get short and making the lamp glow. Too much tightening causes the sensor to start touching the metal inside the Sedimenter and makes the light come on.

The Sedimenter has to be tightened just enough (Finger Tight) and is not supposed to be over-tightened. Over tightening will cause it to touch the inner part of the Sedimenter and make the light come on in the dashboard. Just though to share this with all of you. It saved me a lot of money.

Manik

P.S. I had posted this on my Safari Musing's Thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1975123

Posting it here again for everyone's benefit.

Last edited by Traveler : 9th July 2010 at 20:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks