Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 10:23   #2236
Team-BHP Support

Center pin greasing reduced the steering sounds issue(when vehicle is stationary I get khat khat sounds when turning steering), but they are not completely gone.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:33   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Bose,

Had faced the same issue when my vehicle was around 4~5k kms. This used to happen randomly; RPM around 1400/1500, changing from 2-3, speed of 30-40kmph; vehicle used to lose power, RPM comes down, a mechanical sound from the front (not sure where exactly) and then all things back to normal. Only difference is that I did not get any smoke.

Did an ECU check with TATA guys in tow and nada, nothing!

Apart from us, Rahul76 has also faced the same problem. There is one another Safari that I know if facing the same issue, but that is a 15+ k kms run vehicle.

Not sure, but a faint memory of something to do with fuel pressure sensor or something like that! Need to check.

But, for me, it got solved by doing this: rev at 3000 and sustain it for 30-40 second (should hit 80kmph, so do it in a clear road). I did this like twice a week. and for the last 10,000 kms it is not there.

Another advice, use IOCL fuel. Based on my experience, it suites the Safari best. (Not sure what the hell TML did when they tested, looks like fuel was sponsored by IOCL!!!)
- I tried the 2500 RPM for 30 secs for a few days. Basically, do the 30 sec Idle, gentle up shift from 2nd to 3rd and maintain 2500 at 3rd for 1 more minute. The problem has not resurfaced. Still waiting for the next refill. There is an Ooty fishing trip on the cards this Friday. Will run IOC and see the effect.
- Dadu, I am a bit shy of system D with only 5K on odo.
Old 21st June 2010, 12:07   #2238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
- I tried the 2500 RPM for 30 secs for a few days. Basically, do the 30 sec Idle, gentle up shift from 2nd to 3rd and maintain 2500 at 3rd for 1 more minute. The problem has not resurfaced. Still waiting for the next refill. There is an Ooty fishing trip on the cards this Friday. Will run IOC and see the effect.
- Dadu, I am a bit shy of system D with only 5K on odo.
You need to be, wait till until near 7.5-10k, for trying System D.

Throttling will keep the carbon out for few days till it builds up again and problem with resurface.

Last edited by dadu : 21st June 2010 at 12:09.
Old 21st June 2010, 12:12   #2239
Senior - BHPian

1st and reverse gears were notchy, Clutch bleeding made the clutch butter soft and gear shift is smooth too.

About the AC water wetting the legroom in front side passenger sear 5-6 hours of continuous operation. T.A.S.S checked the AC drain pipe and it is OK so this just means that I need to live with this issue. Only thing is not to keep DSLR bag there :-)
Old 21st June 2010, 12:33   #2240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
About the AC water wetting the legroom in front side passenger sear 5-6 hours of continuous operation. T.A.S.S checked the AC drain pipe and it is OK so this just means that I need to live with this issue. Only thing is not to keep DSLR bag there :-)
I too have the same problem, but in my case, it starts within an hour.
Also the AC has been giving me big problems off late.
1. I see some steam coming out of the vent.
2. After an hr or so, the blower makes weird noise and fan speed reduces drastically. I think that it's the motor which is probably getting heated and so i need to stop it for around 20 mins to cool it down after which it resumes it's original speed.
Has anyone encountered these issues?
Old 21st June 2010, 14:10   #2241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
amitk26 : About the AC water wetting the legroom in front side passenger sear 5-6 hours of continuous operation. T.A.S.S checked the AC drain pipe and it is OK so this just means that I need to live with this issue.
NO, that should not be the case. Since the problem is coming up after extended usage, you will need to get it check when it is actually happening. I dont think guys like Jay or ADC or even TSK - are seeing this problem.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:04   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
NO, that should not be the case. Since the problem is coming up after extended usage, you will need to get it check when it is actually happening. I dont think guys like Jay or ADC or even TSK - are seeing this problem.
how can I possibly do that , I drove from here to Shirdi 1100 KM non-stop and saw this some where around Satara I am no TSK , Jay or ADC to do these kind of trips every now and then :-(

On a positive side water condensation in 42+ degree celcius shows that AC works well

The AC guy at TASS told me that getting a drop of water on clutch peddle after extended use is normal , I too was getting it but towards passenger side the whole carpet was wet under dashboard. I noticed there are 2 black color metal pipes which are uncovered and possibly they get cold possibly the water condenses on them.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:31   #2243
BHPian

Just got my 3rd scheduled service done. The technician at TASS mentioned that I should get the idler arm regularly 'greased' by the people who have roadside grease machines. There is an opening near the idler arm and they use a gun knida thing to squirt grease in.
Is this advisable, as at TASS they use a white grease but outside its that black yucky stuff.
Old 22nd June 2010, 00:42   #2244
BHPian

Battery draining

I have this strange problem of battery draining out. A little history:

Earlier my battery used to drain when my car keeps idle for a week. This would mean something is draining my battery, like stereo, central locking system etc. Got it checked at TASS and they removed my stereo connection, charged the battery etc. According to them my stereo was draining in battery.

Okay i then reconnected my stereo and was driving, stopped at petrol pump and now the battery is dead again. Only problem that came to my mind is bad alternator. Again went back to TASS, mentioned that battery got drained when car was running. They are again saying bad stereo.

My question is will the stereo (including Amp) would drain the battery even if car is running. Alternator seems to giving 13.8 volt when engine is on. Got it checked with local mechanic and according to him battery has problem and i should get battery replaced. Got in touch with battery company, and claimed for replacement under warranty. They checked the battery and battery is fine by them.

Now how can i check how much current my stereo is fetching? it might be pulling higher current than supplied by alternator? Any idea? This is really hurting me
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:19   #2245
Distinguished - BHPian

@Abbey4U:

It is possible that the stereo is causing the leak. Why don't you leave it disconnected for a while and see if it helps.

Secondly, go to another battery place and don't mention the warranty. Just get it checked for load discharge. I had a problem in my Santro where the alternator was charging correctly and the battery showed full charge under idling conditions. However, when there was heavy load on the battery (i.e. AC on, Headlights on, wiper on, & Stereo on) the battery was not holding the charge and draining so quickly. This could be the case with your safari as well.

Either way, keep the stereo off for a while to rule out the issue. You shouldn't have connected the stereo to begin with until after using it for an extended period to validate the diagnosis from TASS.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:12   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I have this strange problem of battery draining out. A little history:

Earlier my battery used to drain when my car keeps idle for a week. This would mean something is draining my battery, like stereo, central locking system etc. Got it checked at TASS and they removed my stereo connection, charged the battery etc. According to them my stereo was draining in battery.

Okay i then reconnected my stereo and was driving, stopped at petrol pump and now the battery is dead again. Only problem that came to my mind is bad alternator. Again went back to TASS, mentioned that battery got drained when car was running. They are again saying bad stereo.

My question is will the stereo (including Amp) would drain the battery even if car is running. Alternator seems to giving 13.8 volt when engine is on. Got it checked with local mechanic and according to him battery has problem and i should get battery replaced. Got in touch with battery company, and claimed for replacement under warranty. They checked the battery and battery is fine by them.

Now how can i check how much current my stereo is fetching? it might be pulling higher current than supplied by alternator? Any idea? This is really hurting me
Pls see how it is earthed,remove the connection ,to ensure better connectivity use a blade remove all the dust and reconnect.My friens safari has same issue after this was done no issues.

tnx
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:12   #2247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Abbey4U:

Secondly, go to another battery place and don't mention the warranty. Just get it checked for load discharge. I had a problem in my Santro where the alternator was charging correctly and the battery showed full charge under idling conditions. However, when there was heavy load on the battery (i.e. AC on, Headlights on, wiper on, & Stereo on) the battery was not holding the charge and draining so quickly. This could be the case with your safari as well.

Either way, keep the stereo off for a while to rule out the issue. You shouldn't have connected the stereo to begin with until after using it for an extended period to validate the diagnosis from TASS.
Thanks,I will do the same. Do a load test and remove stereo to confirm TASS. May be because of hot summer some wiring in my stereo or amp has started leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Pls see how it is earthed,remove the connection ,to ensure better connectivity use a blade remove all the dust and reconnect.My friens safari has same issue after this was done no issues.

tnx
Did you mean battery negative terminal to car body. Is there any other place where i can check for earth?
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:29   #2248
BHPian

Reduction in power

The "Truck" has just done 12300 kms. After 12K, kms, I have noticed that it runs out of breath in the 2nd gear at near 2000 rpm. The speedo shows 30 kmph and even if you want, it won't gather more pace. I have tried the revving the "Truck" to 3.5k rpm and holding it for 20 odd secs. It does belch black smoke, then behaves good for the day and is then back to the out of breath scenario.
Any suggestions to juice a little bit more at 2nd gear?
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:43   #2249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
The "Truck" has just done 12300 kms. After 12K, kms, I have noticed that it runs out of breath in the 2nd gear at near 2000 rpm. The speedo shows 30 kmph and even if you want, it won't gather more pace. I have tried the revving the "Truck" to 3.5k rpm and holding it for 20 odd secs. It does belch black smoke, then behaves good for the day and is then back to the out of breath scenario.
Any suggestions to juice a little bit more at 2nd gear?
See post #2214, let us know the results
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:50   #2250
Senior - BHPian

ORVM broken

My LHS ORVM broke when a truck brushed past the car. The casing is intact and so is the mirror, however, it appears that the mirror is fixed to the motorized mount using 4 pins and clips..and the pins are broken.

- Can I fix the mirror back ( dont mind if it holds with 2 pins and the clips )
- Is the mirror available separately outside of TASS ? I believe it is a heated mirror. are spares available outside which have the heating element ?

thanks
Srini

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks