Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 09:45   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just dont bother fixing it... its a total waste of money and will continue to fall as many as you buy.
leave it alone... after some time you wont look at it and will make peace with Tata's pathetic design/QC for the caps.
I agree, if you don't like the look of the black gaping hole, you could probably paint it silver so it is less pronounced.
If you want to retain the caps longer, Happywheels suggestion sure can hold it longer.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:49   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I agree, if you don't like the look of the black gaping hole, you could probably paint it silver so it is less pronounced.
If you want to retain the caps longer, Happywheels suggestion sure can hold it longer.
I like the idea of removing these and painting silver or putting some sticker, - less hassles in the long run
Old 9th June 2010, 12:28   #2193
Senior - BHPian

About the centre caps disappearing. Ensure your cleaner is not using them as a stand to clean the areas of the car he can't reach (roof for example). I noticed mine missing but soon found them in my own parking lot.

In three years, I've replaced only one cap and that too was probably stolen. If all the plastic clips are in place, they generally don't fall out and I drive a lot on bad roads.

Drifter
Old 12th June 2010, 23:04   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Water leaks inside the cabin near accelerator

Nice. Water leaks inside the cabin near accelerator! I found that water was seeping through some wiring. I couldnt find from where it starts though !

Have pix but for some reason, my uploads are failing :(
Old 13th June 2010, 09:38   #2195
Senior - BHPian

The aircon in my 2.2 has started giving hiccups!!!
Sometimes it works great and most of the times its like an oven inside the cabin especially in the peak of the summer months in NCR.
I sent it to the workshop and they said that the compressor is working fine and the compressor is the only thing that is covered in the extended warranty. So they said that the complete dashboard will have to be removed and then they will diagnose what the issue is. He said that maybe the issue is the valve or the gas is less.

Cost Estimate
Labor for removal of Dashboard 1800 + STax
Valve 3500 + VAT
Gas Actual
And the vehicle will be there in the workshop for 2-3 day.

I think that he's trying to take me for a ride. So I've decided to send it to a very reputable 3rd party ac repair/ installation shop. This guy has been doing the job since the early 80's and I recently got my OPTRA aircon serviced from him and FORD IKON Aircon service and aircon service. For this job he charged me 5.5k (including new condenser coil, complete service, cleanup, washing, full gas) where as the workshop guys had given me an estimate of 9-10k.

Will update on Monday.
Old 13th June 2010, 14:44   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Nice. Water leaks inside the cabin near accelerator! I found that water was seeping through some wiring. I couldnt find from where it starts though !

Name:  11062010509 Medium.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  37.9 KB

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-11062010510-medium.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-11062010511-medium.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The aircon in my 2.2 has started giving hiccups!!!

I think that he's trying to take me for a ride. So I've decided to send it to a very reputable 3rd party ac repair/ installation shop. This guy has been doing the job since the early 80's and I recently got my OPTRA aircon serviced from him and FORD IKON Aircon service and aircon service. For this job he charged me 5.5k (including new condenser coil, complete service, cleanup, washing, full gas) where as the workshop guys had given me an estimate of 9-10k.

Will update on Monday.
Good. TASS sometimes takes you for a ride; atleast you have EW
Old 13th June 2010, 18:23   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Just above the pedal, fold the OEM mat down, there should be one rubber plug, hope its in place. It opens up in the engine bay, right behind the ABS pump.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:34   #2198
BHPian

I'm facing the same problem. But I thought it was because I have the wires of the overhead fog lamp running through the door rubber beading. Even on inspecting that wire I found no water trace, but i thought that was the culprit and was going to disconnect it for the rainy season.

Thanks again Dadu, I'll check this rubber plug first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Just above the pedal, fold the OEM mat down, there should be one rubber plug, hope its in place. It opens up in the engine bay, right behind the ABS pump.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:51   #2199
BHPian

I am facing the same problem again, car rpm keeps fluctuating when car is idling. Got it checked, no service light, battery good, ECU good, belt and other stuff good. Fuel used is good, so no worries, no overheating as well. But car continues to have fluctuating rpm, and it goes if i slightly depress the accelerator pedal and leave it. Possible fault with the accelerator pedal sensor ? TASS says all is well (they never admit faults). Could someone please suggest a solution ?

Got a steering check done and some greasing, so steering vibrations and a "tuk" noise that was heard while turning steering wheel gone. So happy with that. Car just completed two years and 60000kms. So far so good overall. Only irritating piece is the wierd noise from the gearbox side at low rpm movement, heard its because of the release bearing, replacing it twice did not help, so left it as it is.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:38   #2200
BHPian

Though I see some discussion on this topic previously I would like to make some observations about cold start and the first 15 mins of drive

- 4.3 K on the odo. Car is 2.5 months old. 2.2 gx 4X4

- I started looking at the exhaust for the first 15 mins of drive in order to check any anomalies. I was feeling these sudden cliffs in power at 1500 ish RPMs in the 3rd and the 4th gear. I notice now that there is always a puff of black smoke when this happens and once the RPM is at 1.8K and above things are back to normal. All of this is about 1-2 sec.
- Then there is the krrr sound when I accelerate. I read the same observation from others. In my case this started only at 4K on the ODO.

All of this is of course gone within the first 15 mins of travel and then things are back to normal. I also realize that the occurrence of this "black puff" and krrr are gone if I climb the RPM curve slowly. So I am guessing this is related to the Turbo kicking in.

Any comments?
Old 16th June 2010, 17:51   #2201
Senior - BHPian

Bose,

Had faced the same issue when my vehicle was around 4~5k kms. This used to happen randomly; RPM around 1400/1500, changing from 2-3, speed of 30-40kmph; vehicle used to lose power, RPM comes down, a mechanical sound from the front (not sure where exactly) and then all things back to normal. Only difference is that I did not get any smoke.

Did an ECU check with TATA guys in tow and nada, nothing!

Apart from us, Rahul76 has also faced the same problem. There is one another Safari that I know if facing the same issue, but that is a 15+ k kms run vehicle.

Not sure, but a faint memory of something to do with fuel pressure sensor or something like that! Need to check.

But, for me, it got solved by doing this: rev at 3000 and sustain it for 30-40 second (should hit 80kmph, so do it in a clear road). I did this like twice a week. and for the last 10,000 kms it is not there.

Another advice, use IOCL fuel. Based on my experience, it suites the Safari best. (Not sure what the hell TML did when they tested, looks like fuel was sponsored by IOCL!!!)
Old 16th June 2010, 18:00   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone observe that tripmeter A and B round off after some KM ?
I guess it should be 2000KM can anyone confirm this ?

@Bose that black smoke puff is either engine running rich or carbon build up , Do not use premium diesel and always use normal fuel.
To solve this hickup you can use System-D in a tankful or Bardhal Diesel tune. Also try changing gears just a tad below 2500 RPM.
Krr sound is EGR valve opening and closing sound present in many Safari's

Regards
Old 16th June 2010, 19:35   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Amit26,

Bose vehicle has the new EGR valve; the sound is not due to that, IMO.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:08   #2204
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bose, do you idle the Safari at each cold start - especially in the morning ?
Old 16th June 2010, 20:25   #2205
BHPian

Which brand of diesel (or petrol) is good

I have been hearing different opinions on this question.

Which brand of diesel (or petrol) is good and why? Is it Bharat Petrolium, HP, IBP or Indian Oil?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks