Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2010, 13:16   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Hello Safari folks,

My 2009 safari run about 9k is idle since a month. Finally i had one of my family members to go start it and give it a run. The battery is totally down as expected. While i know how to get it running, i would like to know the downside of such incidents. Ecu, Engine immobilizer need battery to be up all the time. If i connect other battery terminals to the existing battery would it harm any components ? Finally, What happens to the ECU settings. Tata had done some changes to the ECU during service. Minor change though. In general, I want to the downside of keeping it idle or running too less. I am currently abroad. I have lot of sentiments to this car and hence do not want to give it away.
Ive been leaving my Safari without the battery terminal disconnected for almost a month every 45 days or so for the past 2 years. Nothing has happened to my OEM battery yet. Im sure there must be a fault somewhere which is causing your battery to drain or the the battery itself must be faulty.
Old 30th May 2010, 22:01   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Responding to Ravi's post @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1912545

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
... In OCT 2010 while buying this vehicle only issue I felt was Power steering and some oil leak while buying to fix the gasket or top up the oil I have paid 1000/- and in March. 2010 general service before I took 3000km trip in various places I have paid 1600/- towards general check/clutch bleeding/all 4 brakes cleaning/washing. Another 400/- towards engine oil top up in 8 months...
Fair enough.

3000kms worth of trip? If it is some off beat track, as shown in the images that you have posted, please please post a travelogue.

Quote:
...Back wheel cover I masked it because it had no wheel cover LOL I felt it is not looking good!! I don't have reason why I masked it. Later on I removed wheel cover because it looked better without cover and less rattling...
This will also save the trouble of protecting it. But yes, the vehicle does look good without the cover, but not something I personally like.

Quote:
...I have driven my Safari in highway/jungles around Sirsi. I loved the driving!! Performance wise it is almost near to Petrol Innova. Average FE is around 10kmpl. I never felt like I am driving 6+ years old vehicle after I did general service. Concorde, mysore road people did good job exactly to my expectations...
As mentioned in the other thread, a petrol vehicle is best for highways and jungles. The silent engine is best suited so that we do not disturb the residents.

The FE looks good. Surprising infact. I expected, or thought, petrol Safari's return around 7~8kmpl average.

I hope the service center people know that they are dealing with a petrol Safari every time they touch your vehicle!

Quote:
...2 weeks back while climbing DottaPetta ghat near Ooty my temporarily hired driver (He is master but unfortunately did clutch riding!! I was sitting in the back and didn't notice) afraid vehicle might dragged back in the ghat section and did too much of clutch riding in traffic jam and sudden bad smell and smoke from clutch plates created some issue. But immediately alerted by my wife about smell I made him stop the vehicle side by for hour and things cool down luckily. My regular driver was not feeling well and felt so bad about incident. Anyway this is second time similar issues happened by hired drivers in 7 years...
Ravi, when you have a new driver driving in the ghat section, regardless of vehicle, always pay attention to his driving style the first time around. The engine sound would have been a dead give away much sooner. Better late than never.

Quote:
...But I don't what extent damage is done!! Vehicle is normal right now, I cant see any issues but I will know once I show it to service station soon...
There is a clutch test that is recommended here. Get to the 5th gear as soon as possible, say by 25 ~ 30 kmph. The vehicle will shudder,shout, cry out loud, but the vehicle should increase speed and get to its comfortable cuising speed at the top gear. Do try this on a flat road and check.

Hope I got this right; guys please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
... Safari's engine is very good for sure If maintained very well!! Its comfort is unmatched!!...
Oh yeah!

Quote:
...I felt so bad moement I baught it first time I don't have guts to take it on highways!! else I would have not allowed anyone to drive it unless my 2 of regular drivers are available. My Sirsi friend cum driver (he has 1 million km driving experience) certified my driving this time and he advised me to drive it on highways too!! Lets see how I will use the opportunity LOL...
Ravi,
I am sure that having driving it now, you would have realized how simple it is. Go ahead, enjoy the drive.

Before I sign off for this, just one more response:

Quote:
...I still couldnot turn up for the meets and I wanted to have Safari experts like Kadam/Luke/Happywheels drive my vehicle for their feedback which would help me during my next service...
Thanks for the compliment, but a first timer with just 15,000 kms under the belt I hardly qualify. We have bigger "guru's" here. I just share what I learnt from others, just like what most of us do here.
Old 31st May 2010, 08:41   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the response Suresh, one interesting fact is I hardly engage 5th gear in my driving. I will do testing of clutch very soon and come back with my feelings.

I will post a travelogue but most of the places are revisting for us so not much interest in spending time. but I will post something for sure!!

It is my fault of not monitoring, I usually watch out driver in sensitives areas and correct them moment I notice. It is only 2nd time I hired temporary driver but unfortunately i was bit unlucky!!

Still I feel nothing much damage is done. Out of 80000km - 7 vehicles ownership my driving experience reached 500km till date LOL

Since i use the vehicle very less and previous owner also used it less, I am afraid battery will go dead very soon since it is nearly 3 years old now.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 31st May 2010 at 08:54.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:02   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Headlamps for my Safari

Guys,

Am looking at better alternatives to the OEM headlamps on my Safari 2.2 for the want of better visibility on highways (no issues in city driving).

I do not want to 'upgrade' to a higher wattage since it would require wiring changes including addition of relay(s) which I do not want to do given that it would void my warranty. Has anyone tried a replacement (different make) while retaining the wattage? If yes, how effective is it?
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:10   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Get the ABS sensors air cleaned.

Greasing wont help , get the Idler arm tightened, this need adjustment every few thousand kms as if tightened too much will give you a stiff steering wheel.

3rd Service should be at 30K Kms not 15K.
Thanks a lot for your advice regarding the Idler arm. Last time I had mentioned this problem to the SA, he had just greased it and the problem came back in less than 3000 KMs.

This weekend I had to go to the TASS for getting the Alternator fixed and asked the SA to tighten the Idler arm rather than just lubricating it. So far driven the beast for almost 200 KMs since this visit and the suspensions feels really good.

Lets hope it doesn't resurface anytime soon.

Regarding the Alternator, I do have a question for the experts. What can cause the bearing of the Alternator to break. Could it becuase on that particular day (when the bearing got broken, I was pushing the vehicle really hard.

The Monster and its ever so humble driver, yours truly, were pressed into the services of my SIL who was getting married that day and we were always fighting against time and traffic on the ever so congested roads of West Delhi.

The car did came to an abrupt stop once when I unknowingly tried to move the car while the car was still in 3rd gear from absolute halt. Could this have damaged the alternator bearing or was this some sort of a manufacturing defect.

And correct the third service is due @ 30 K. Its the 2nd Service I was reffering to which becomes due @ 15K.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:33   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Whats the oval holes for in the doors ( on top) which is sealed/closed by black rubber caps?
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:51   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Whats the oval holes for in the doors ( on top) which is sealed/closed by black rubber caps?
Nothing but door design only. I am guessing it would be used to lift and for pressworks.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:04   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Completed a 2700 KM run to Bangalore-Satara- Shirdi- Nasik -Aurangabad-Pune - Bangalore in 4 days with 4 adults and a kid.

AC performed very well in hot summer though I have LX without rear coil but observed following issues

1. After long run found condensed water from AC below the dash board on front passanger side, It was quite large and carpet was wet, I had put my DSLR there and water seeped in the pockets of the bag but luckily the inner compartment was dry. Lessen learnt do not put the DSLR bag below the dash :-) even after this issue is fixed.

Also drop of water falls on the drivers foot whenever there is a jolt or pothole.

I saw two naked metallic black tubes below dash on either side of console which were cold but could not find the place from where this condensed water is dripping.

What may be the reason and solution ?

2. Just before the start of journey in the evening 9 PM I found that turn indicator stalk is not sticking to it's position and I need to hold it using my finger. Since I had to start travel early next day sprayed some WD40 in the hole where the stalk goes in the steering coulumn and it was OK for few hundred KM.

Regards
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:08   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

Am looking at better alternatives to the OEM headlamps on my Safari 2.2 for the want of better visibility on highways (no issues in city driving).

I do not want to 'upgrade' to a higher wattage since it would require
Try Phillips extreme power +80 , Costs about 1000 ruppes for a pair but bang for the money. And thanks for not upgrading to higher wattage, during my recent trip I was really angry at few morons who fit those blinding lights with no respect for oncoming traffic or regards to their own safety.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:53   #2170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I do not want to 'upgrade' to a higher wattage since it would require wiring changes including addition of relay(s) which I do not want to do given that it would void my warranty...
CD,

If it is the wiring & warranty concern that you have, there is a way to do it without cutting any of the OE wires. Warranty perfectly intact. Just that you will have to spend some time and effort (its a DIY).

I learnt this the hard way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
...And thanks for not upgrading to higher wattage, during my recent trip I was really angry at few morons who fit those blinding lights with no respect for oncoming traffic or regards to their own safety.
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:39   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Try Phillips extreme power +80 , Costs about 1000 ruppes for a pair but bang for the money.
Thanks Amit. Pardon my ignorance but what is the brand and rating of the OEM bulbs on the 2.2?
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:59   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amit. Pardon my ignorance but what is the brand and rating of the OEM bulbs on the 2.2?
Philips H4 60/55W

You can also change to Osram Silverstar or Nightbreaker 60/55 without changing anything. Feedback on these are good. Do not forget to adjust them after you change.

Last edited by dadu : 3rd June 2010 at 11:01.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:14   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Philips H4 60/55W. You can also change to Osram Silverstar or Nightbreaker 60/55 without changing anything.
Thanks Dadu. So I infer that Philips H4 is not the same as Philips X-treme Power, correct? Also, which of the two, Philips or Osram, is the preferable option?
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:12   #2174
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dadu. So I infer that Philips H4 is not the same as Philips X-treme Power, correct? Also, which of the two, Philips or Osram, is the preferable option?

CD, I have the Philips Xtreme Power 55/60 and they have been used extensively [including numerous dipping cycles] all through the ownership years [2.5 years] since all my journeys have night drives.

You can have a look at this post, posted by me a year back, and there's a link by abbey regarding a comparison between the two - though there's enough people out here happy to Osram too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1424087
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:55   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Bump ..

Any suggestion / solution on the Condensed water from AC dripping below dashboard issue I posted some time back ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks