Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 13:25   #2146
BHPian

Dirty Eyes

Over the past few weeks, the Headlights of my Safari have collected dirt big time. One, it makes the safari look old, Two, light projection is poor as reflectors are dirty.
Autolinks guys told me that they don't have a suction machine. The blower will just dislodge the dirt but being in a confined space it'll settle back again.
Please suggest. Images below.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-dirt.jpg  

Old 26th May 2010, 15:29   #2147
Team-BHP Support

Remove rear cup, remove bulb, and use a household vaccum to such the dust out, simple!
Old 26th May 2010, 15:49   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Remove rear cup, remove bulb, and use a household vaccum to such the dust out, simple!
or a car vaccum cleaner ?
Old 26th May 2010, 15:53   #2149
Team-BHP Support

Car vaccums have very low suction strength. They work only when the nozzle is almost touching the surface. Not possible here.
So a household vaccum is needed.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:14   #2150
BHPian

Hello Safari folks,

My 2009 safari run about 9k is idle since a month. Finally i had one of my family members to go start it and give it a run. The battery is totally down as expected. While i know how to get it running, i would like to know the downside of such incidents. Ecu, Engine immobilizer need battery to be up all the time. If i connect other battery terminals to the existing battery would it harm any components ? Finally, What happens to the ECU settings. Tata had done some changes to the ECU during service. Minor change though. In general, I want to the downside of keeping it idle or running too less. I am currently abroad. I have lot of sentiments to this car and hence do not want to give it away.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:20   #2151
BHPian

Guys....I just booked my Safari 3L for 30K service tomorrow and here are the quotes....please let me know if they sound fair:

Mobil Oil : Rs 280 per liter. Car needs 6.5 Ltr
Oil Filter : Rs 265
Fuel Filter : Rs 2065
30K Labour : Rs 1400 (excluding car wash which will be charged at rs 450)
Air Filter : Rs 500

Total Bill : Appx. Rs 6500-7500

and other consumables, any labour other than regular 30K, Taxes and other things.

Rs 1400 labour includes suspension inspection, oil change, clutch bleed, door alignment and other small checkups

Please let me know

Rajeev
Old 26th May 2010, 16:21   #2152
Team-BHP Support

First off all, if your battery got down in a month, its an issue. Battery does not go down in a month.
Secondly, you can disconnect battery when parking for long term, and then reconnect battery when you want to start.
As for keeping it parked for long time, as long as service intervals(mentioned in months also) are adhered to, its okay.
for example manual says 15K service after 15000 kms or 1 year whichever is earlier, blah blah.
So adhere to those intervals, all oils etc., get changed.
Also ask the workshop to ensure that hub greasing etc., is done properly.

If possible ask a family member to go on a short drive once a week of so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Guys....I just booked my Safari 3L for 30K service tomorrow and here are the quotes....please let me know if they sound fair:

Mobil Oil : Rs 280 per liter. Car needs 6.5 Ltr
Oil Filter : Rs 265
Fuel Filter : Rs 2065
30K Labour : Rs 1400 (excluding car wash which will be charged at rs 450)
Air Filter : Rs 500

Total Bill : Appx. Rs 6500-7500

and other consumables, any labour other than regular 30K, Taxes and other things.

Rs 1400 labour includes suspension inspection, oil change, clutch bleed, door alignment and other small checkups

Please let me know

Rajeev
They are taking you for a ride. Washing is included whenever car is serviced. Service charges include washing.
Labor for gear oil/brake oil change is charged separately though.
Call up Tata customer care and register a complaint for the same, the workshop will come down to earth.
Tell them the workshop is telling you that regular service charge of 1400rs does not include car washing.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th May 2010 at 16:24.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:29   #2153
BHPian

Hi Tsk

i told them that but he said the 30K service labour is Rs1400 and that does not include washing.

I tried taking to them on this but they did not seem convinced. I am thinking once I am done with this service, I will raise this query and tell the GM about escalation and they should wash it up :-)

Else god save them from me....I just want to get this done with first...

Is Rs280 per litre for oil reasonable??? Last Aug I paid Rs 1386 for oil and this time it will come up to a little over Rs 1800 I guess...
Old 26th May 2010, 16:34   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if you really want to do the washing at the center.

But yes, washing is part of the service. Just shoot across a mail to customer care now and check it out. You will get a firm response, at the max, by the time the vehicle is ready.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:06   #2155
BHPian

Thank you TSK,

Well its certainly not just a month. its more than that. Im sure battery is ok. I am aware of disconnecting the battery and connecting when i want to use. Will the Ecu and immobilizer still be ok if batter is disconnecting. And i also want to know if there would be any problem if i connect other battery terminal to the existing one and start.

@Happywheels, Good to see you after a long. Washing in concorde is done by some kids from near by slums. you can actually complain about child labour.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:27   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
My 2009 safari run about 9k is idle since a month. Finally i had one of my family members to go start it and give it a run. The battery is totally down as expected.
I agree with TSK - battery should not go down in a month. Probably one or more cells are gone - might need a replacement (should not have happened in a < 1 yr old battery). I use my Safari only for outstation trips and hence it sees the road only once/twice a month - no battery issues till date. However, it is imperative that it is started/idle-ed (if not driven around) for at least 10 minutes twice a week.

Last edited by cool_dube : 26th May 2010 at 17:29.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:33   #2157
BHPian

Cool_dube,

Like i mentioned in the previous post.Its more than a month. may b 50 days or more. I'm sure about the battery issue. My concern is the other things i have posted.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:14   #2158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you TSK,

Well its certainly not just a month. its more than that. Im sure battery is ok. I am aware of disconnecting the battery and connecting when i want to use. Will the Ecu and immobilizer still be ok if batter is disconnecting. And i also want to know if there would be any problem if i connect other battery terminal to the existing one and start.

@Happywheels, Good to see you after a long. Washing in concorde is done by some kids from near by slums. you can actually complain about child labour.
No problem with battery disconnection. As of now, you can jump start with a fresh battery and then leave engine running for 30 minutes to charge the dead battery
Old 26th May 2010, 20:51   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Will the Ecu and immobilizer still be ok if batter is disconnecting...
Perfectly fine. Absolutely nothing will happen.

Quote:
... And i also want to know if there would be any problem if i connect other battery terminal to the existing one and start...
Don't get what you are saying here. Easy option is to call TASS and tell them to come and jump start your vehicle. You can also call Exide BatMobile.

Quote:
...@Happywheels, Good to see you after a long. Washing in concorde is done by some kids from near by slums. you can actually complain about child labour.
Same here mate. Hope to see you back home soon.

The washing in Concord, well, the less said the better. I usually go for the body wash, especially the under body. Nothing more. Save a lot of time.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:34   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
A lesser shared fact is that you get GX is all color variants and not only in dual tone. The sales people will convince you that you get only dual tone in GX, which is wrong. The fact is if you want dual tone, you need to take GX.

This was there from day one, but some how there came an unsaid understanding that GX is offered only in dual color.

No one noticed the wording "Two tone / body color" under GX column.
i second you brother. i had the same experience too. simply don't know why the dealerships want GX to only be sold in dual tone. i wanted GX but not a dual tone. so they could push me to getting a VX. but then as a last moment effort i got into direct touch with Tata motors and confirmed the availability of GX with body coloured cladding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks