Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 10:20   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My safari completed 19500 KM , Went to Concord Hosur road and got the following jobs done
1. Engine Oil and Oil Filter change.
2. Changed Clamps of PS fluid reservoir hose.

As it was close to 20K and last oil change was 10K ago ( got second service at 10.5 K as 1 year was over ) I went for voluntary oil change.
Wanted to get this done at 17K but at that time TML did not do as it was late in evening.

After this customer relations manager from both Concord and Prerana were calling me for checkup etc but some how I felt what is there to check when every thing is fine and planned a trip to ooty instead of wasting weakend in workshop.
After reaching there next day morning I opened the bonnet for routine inspection and saw that power steering oil is leaking from the two black hose below the plastic reservoir, The leakage was minor I could have left it like that.It was clear that just the hose clamp is loose and it is 10 mts job,
Previous day I had seen a Tata Showroom with workshop in the town so thought it makes sense to go there and get the clamp fixed rather then leaving it to chance on return journey.

Went to Taffe Access limited which is an authorized TML workshop , But seems life in hill station is lethargic , The showroom and workshop was closed till 10:00AM got number of Manager from Security guard and talked he promised they will be opening in 30 minutes and gave me number of the works manager. After calling works manager some one picked up phone and told that he is out for a walk and left the phone at home.
After 30 minutes called him again only to find that they will not open on sunday only if he could have told clearly that they do not open on Sunday I would not have bothered about them.

After this I went to a local mechanic who in order to impress me tried emptying the PS reservoir by siphoning off the PS fluid by his mouth. I tried stopping him but I could not speak Tamil and he spoke no other language. Finally after a while he realized it is a futile exercise and asked me to bring anabond and PS Oil , By the time I was back he had already poured in the spit out PS fluid back in tank along with his saliva clearly seen floating in the Oil rather then waiting for me to bring the PS Oil from a shop across the street.

Then applied anabond on the hose and reservoir joint. I payed him trying to compensate for the bad taste in mouth but this much I could have done myself without wasting time. Total time wasted 1 hour 30 mts . First 45 min waiting at Taffe and rest in finding a local mechanic and finally ended up doing a quickfix using anabond.

Next day morning we started return journey to Bangalore and while I was filling Diesel at a pump got a call from Concord on how my vehicle is doing and they have a gift voucher for me , I just said I will come to them after my return.

There was no further leak after this for full 2 weeks and yesterday I found time to go to concord.
They replaced the hose clamps , The original clamp is clip type and new one is with nuts which can stay in place much better.

In the engine bay all rubber hose have same clip type clamps which may give away eventually , Why couldn't TML Fix better clamps with nuts to fasten and increase reliability ?

The 2 clamps were 7 Rs each and labor charge 300 Rs. Some how refitting PS reservoir was not considered warranty job.

Also Tatas gave me a gift voucher for 5000 Rs so not a bad deal.

Last edited by amitk26 : 11th May 2010 at 10:26.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:24   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In the engine bay all rubber hose have same clip type clamps which may give away eventually , Why couldn't TML Fix better clamps with nuts to fasten and increase reliability?
Very good point - I did not note this. In my next service, I am going to ask them to replace all clip type clamps with nut ones.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:54   #2103
Senior - BHPian

I sent my Safari for 45k service today.

Following issues to be rectified;

Engine oil 2 liters less. No smoke from the tailpipe and no signs of any leakage in my parking space.
Is it possible for oil to burn during high speed driving 120-160kph for 1 hour+ ??
Coolant level low. Was brought up earlier. They could not find a leak, topped it up but its reduced again.
Khat sound while starting or stopping the engine. No sound when the clutch is depressed while switching ignition on or off.
Whistling sound from the front transmission while driving in 4H & 4L.

Any advice or pointers towards diagnosis is welcome.

Thanks,

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 11th May 2010 at 12:56.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:20   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Engine oil 2 liters less. No smoke from the tailpipe and no signs of any leakage in my parking space.
Is it possible for oil to burn during high speed driving 120-160kph for 1 hour+ ??
Some amount of engine oil tends to 'burn up' under extreme driving conditions (high speeds over long durations) as those mentioned above. However, 2 lit is a significant amount and definitely needs to be investigated. Since you have already checked for smoke in exhaust, leaking piston rings are ruled out.

Quote:
Coolant level low. Was brought up earlier. They could not find a leak, topped it up but its reduced again.
Can be attributed to the extreme driving conditions again.

Quote:
Khat sound while starting or stopping the engine. No sound when the clutch is depressed while switching ignition on or off.
This is normal is what I heard from TASS. For the same reason, it is recommended to depress the clutch while cranking/killing the engine as it is supposed to reduce stress on all connected parts/components.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:23   #2105
Team-BHP Support

I also had a leak. she leaked a liter, and I was none the wiser. Reason being that the foam on underside of skid plate was soaking up the oil!
So only after the skid plate comes off, you will get to know if there is a problem.
Also check area around the injectors. If you see oil anywhere, ask them to do a compression test.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:31   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any advice or pointers towards diagnosis is welcome.

Thanks,

Jay
Oil is leaking
Coolant is leaking
Something is loose making the Khat noise.

As suggested by tsk, oil leakage can be checked once the skid plates are taken off

Open the timing belt cover and check for dried(white coloured) water marks inside it, water pump seal will be leaking the coolant. It was part of the retro.

Check all underbody bolt and nuts.
Old 12th May 2010, 17:56   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

UPDATE;

They could not find any leakage for the engine oil. There seemed to some oil seepage from the oil filter area. Its being diagnosed. There seemed to be some issue with the oil seperator. Can someone throw some light on its function and how does it contribute to oil reduction.!!!

Coolant level was not low. They opened the coolant bottle and showed me the leve. I have been misreading the level all this while. The MAX level of coolant marking site somewhere in the middle of the coolant reservoir. So thats a non issue.

In the process of checking coolant they opened the timing cover to check water pump and found the timing belt worn cutting on the inside. Diagnosis for root cause is underway and they will check if my vehicle qualifies for the timing belt update by TML, else it will be covered under extended warranty.

Whistling sound could not be replicated on the ramp and on the small bad patch of road behind the workshop. So that remains. Furthur update will be recieved tomm. I shall post pics of the worn timing belt later.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:10   #2108
Team-BHP Support

Jay your safari had the same issue of timing belt cut. It looks like a design fault.
After timing kit change, my safari's "jerk on accl" in 4th and 5th gear has lessened to quite a bit!
Old 12th May 2010, 21:17   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Jay your safari had the same issue of timing belt cut. It looks like a design fault.
So my assumption were correct.. The cat is out of the bag TATA bag

A couple of weeks ago, i have witnessed as many as 4 2.2 with Belt failures though being retrofitted.

Now the question is " What made TML not change the timing belt on all the 2.2 which were recalled for retro apart from the 2.2 diaganosed with D kit types ??
Old 12th May 2010, 21:45   #2110
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to the works manager today. He said there was a recall from TML for retrofits for the timing belt issue, but they were specific to Chassis numbers as fixed by TML. So they have taken up this issue with TML. They will also go the éxtended warranty way' if desired. However, I have asked them to go ahead with doing the needful since I want the vehicle by tomm evening.

Will update tomorrow.

Thanks for the info guys.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 13th May 2010, 20:11   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikahuja View Post
He says he is sure that is happens only after the brakes have warmed up a bit. Also it comes only when he is braking gradually to come to a complete stop.

The pressure applied on the brake pedal is firm but not like as if trying to jam the brakes He has also tried it in while pressing the clutch in both second and first gears as well as in neutral. in all cases the vibration (like something is grinding) is present.

If he applies firmer pressure then the vibration is absent, it is almost like the vibration is present only when a certain amount of pressure is applied and the vehicle is brought to complete stop while maintaining the same pressure on the brake pedal till it comes to a stop.

Hope this explains

Just reviving an old topic, can anybody help. The Grinding noise when braking lightly persists and TASS has no clue.

Experts, please provide your valuable inputs.
Old 13th May 2010, 21:44   #2112
Senior - BHPian

Today, I drove my friends VTT. I noticed that the in between 2K-3K RPM at some point the car would take a sudden JERK and then will accelerate like a maniac. The jerk was very much pronounced and one could easily feel it. The jerk was like the engine suddenly gets freed-up from some load and starts accelerating much freely. AC was ON all the time.
Any guess about the problem or it's normal nature of VTT.
Old 13th May 2010, 22:06   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Today, I drove my friends VTT. I noticed that the in between 2K-3K RPM at some point the car would take a sudden JERK and then will accelerate like a maniac.
That is the VTT (Variable Turbine Turbo) kicking in. In my case that happens ~2000rpm. It is not a jerk though, it is a push

Normal .

-BJ
Old 13th May 2010, 23:09   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
That is the VTT (Variable Turbine Turbo) kicking in. In my case that happens ~2000rpm. It is not a jerk though, it is a push Normal .-BJ
Guess that's not what mercedised is talking about. I experience this jerking at times, and i think it's been discussed somewhere in this thread as well. Again, normal/not-a-worry for me, hehe.
Old 13th May 2010, 23:13   #2115
Senior - BHPian

I think we need to differentiate between Push or Jerk here.

If it was just turbo kicking in, then its fine and if its a jerk like breathlessness of engine for 1-2 ms then its some problem maybe with fuel delivery etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks