Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 12:27   #2011
Team-BHP Support

Its the sedimenter is not due for change, then it will be covered under warranty.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:07   #2012
BHPian

sedimenter false warning

On my new VTT after the first service (1000kms) there was issue that the sedimenter indication in console would always glow. After quite a lot of investigations at Concorde, it was traced to a wiring/coupler issue. The technician opened the co-driver side (front left, below the dashboard) of the central console to access the wiring that leads to the sedimenter and cleaned some contacts of the coupler. Apparently there was a shorting in the wiring/coupler which was rectified - so I was told. I don't buy this story is another thing.

After this sedimnter indication has never come. Hope it is functioning properly.
Old 16th April 2010, 17:23   #2013
BHPian

Top Speed

Hey Guys,

Whats the top speed of your Safari? Mine doesn't go beyond 165, Is speed electronically limited?
Old 16th April 2010, 18:48   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Snake View Post
Hey Guys,

Whats the top speed of your Safari? Mine doesn't go beyond 165, Is speed electronically limited?
In simple words, YES, you cant go beyond that, anyhow its dangerous to drive on Indian highways with those speed.
Old 16th April 2010, 19:38   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Well i guess Dadu is correct cause the highest i touched was 160,got really scared cause the steering became really sensitive. Also i don't think that it is safe to take a Safari higher than that.
Old 16th April 2010, 21:43   #2016
Senior - BHPian

When you drive a Safari at 160, as I often do, you feel very close to God !!
And if you make one mistake, you will be ONE with him !!
Old 16th April 2010, 21:47   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Draining the sedimenter is a very difficult task. BUt uve got to get yourself dirty lying down to be able to work on it.
Do try once again DIY if its not covered under warranty.
How old is your Safari ? I feel this should be covered under warranty since this isnt a rubber part nor a consumable like clutch plates.

jay; its easy unless you dnt like being under the Safari and the smell of diesel/kerosene.
Old 16th April 2010, 21:54   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
jay; its easy unless you dnt like being under the Safari and the smell of diesel/kerosene.
Opps... I actually meant it ISNT a difficult task..!Just realized the misprint! Thanks!
Old 19th April 2010, 18:48   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
Safari tech gurus I need some help to identify a recent problem with my Safari.

Instance 1: I had not used my Safari for about 8 days. Could not start. The internal electricals were working though. Started using a Jump cable with my other car.

Went to TASS since my 4th service was due and got battery, dynamo etc checked. They said everything is fine. Since this is a diesel vehicle it drains the battery fast... But I still think in 8-10 days it should not drain the battery.

Instance 2: I was on my way to ooty last weekend and drove about 50 KM and stopped near channapattana. After 10 mins when i try to start the vehicle it wouldnt. I opened the bonnet and tried to see whether there was any loose connection, near the battery and the fuse box etc... still did not start. After about 5 mins wait, switched off all electricals (radio, fan etc) and tried again. With a lot of effort it started... sigh.... Drove it directly to Mandya TASS (URS motors). During this time I also observed that audio will automatically switch off and on. Once i switched it off, again did not start. The service guy tried his luck and after a long time was able to start it. He also checked the battery voltage using a multimeter and it was showing 12.8 V something. So battery was charged. We took for a test drive and it was fine. I continued my journey to ooty without any problem but during the last 10 KMs the problem appeared again. As you all may know the last few KMs is a steep uphill drive and i was almost driving in 1st or 2nd gear. I had AC, Radio, Headlights and Mobile charger on. Suddenly the radio on and off problem started and at the same time headlights would dim for an instant. I switched off AC, Radio, Mobile charger etc and finally reached the hotel. Kept the safari idling for 15 mins for battery to charge. Returned back to Bangalore on sunday. No problems while returning though.

Now this is the story so far. I am planning to take it to TASS again, but not sure whether they will really find out anything. All of them have the same story... Safari is fully automatic and we cant find out anything blah blah.... Have any of you faced similar problem? Can someone suggest what could be the problem?
TBhp guru's need some expert advise here....

I had given my Safari for the starting problem (details in quote) to TASS. They checked Alternator, Wiring Harness and Starter and found that Starter was the culprit. They repaired and it was working fine.

However I went on a trip to Kerala last weekend and the problem re-surfaced... But this time only at the first stop after a long (more than 50 KM) drive. The engine does not start and after trying few times (5-10 times) it starts. After that no problem in any stops. This problem is not present if I stop after short trip. Thats the reason I could not find it within city, since I would've stopped within few KMs. I am really puzzled here. Battery is not a problem. When it failed to start, I switched on the headlights and it was glowing with full brightness.

Any ideas or suggessions???
Old 19th April 2010, 23:34   #2020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take it easy dude. Buy yourself a sedan if you are a speed-freak
Old 20th April 2010, 10:14   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
When you drive a Safari at 160, as I often do, you feel very close to God !!
And if you make one mistake, you will be ONE with him !!
Very rightly said.

And most importantly, you might get away with a few broken bones, considering the size of the safari. But spare a thought for the poor chap who will be hit by a 2.5 tonne beast moving at 160 KMPH.

Indian roads and Indian people are yet to realise that vehicles can move that fast. Specially in the villages along the highways, almost everytime they will try to outrun you.

It' not a good idea to be doing 160 if you don't have ABS/EBD. I have been in 2-3 dangerous situations at high speeds and had it not been for ABS it would have been a different story.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:56   #2022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the top speed of your Safari? Mine doesn't go beyond 165...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Take it easy dude. Buy yourself a sedan...
+1. In fact, buy a space shuttle- fastest mankind can travel yet. It does more than 25,000 Kms/hr.

Seriously, what is this yearning for speed? It is a machine- if you press it hard it will jump off the cliff w/o a bit of shudder. Everyday, I see so many incidents getting reported due to this hunt for speed on public road. Our T-BHP, itself is full of such incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
...spare a thought for the poor chap who will be hit by a 2.5 tonne beast moving at 160 KMPH.
At least 13 people die every hour in road accidents in our country.

Road accidents in India caused mostly by Human error

When will we learn?

I think, like C2H5OH we should ban discussing Max speed and allied topics on T-BHP, or restrict such discussions in F1 racing threads/forums.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 20th April 2010 at 12:05. Reason: combine posts
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:11   #2023
BHPian

Thank you guys for feedback, i dont go that fast generally, did tried a few time to find the max of vehicle. And yes i agree its not safe too.
Old 25th April 2010, 22:05   #2024

Hi

I have a service light problem for past 9 months (from 44K km) and now the car has clocked around 60K km. Till now the car goes to TASS and come back with "Try now sir" response from TASS. I am posting here as I could not find similar problem in other posts. Though I see few service light problems I see them reproducable with certain sequence of actions (say coasting from 80Kmph etc..). Please let me know if there is a post/reply for such a problem.

Current problem:
The service light indicator will glow (when car is idle or while slowing down for a speed breaker) and go off after few minutes. Maximum time it has glowed was for 5mins.

History:
This problem started after a water wash underhood in TASS.
Immediate problem observed after water wash - the fluctuation of rpm around/below idle rpm and TASS folks that time mentioned that it is because of engine coldness and this fluctuation would go off after some time.

But it did not go off. Along with this problem, I got "service light" errors for
1) High pressure / low pressure circuit error
2) Accelerator sensor error

First couple of times these errors were reset from ECU and I was told the error was rectified by cleaning sensor and connections.
(side note: One of the TASS employee was arguing with me that -low pressure line is the one from diesel tank to diesel filter and the high pressure line is the one from filter to pump :-( . I had to take a lesson to him what is what :-()

As these errors repeated (first one in highways & second error in low speed/idle) along with cold start fluctuation, I forced them for a resolutions. After lot of talks and lot of service time/delays - one injector was replaced and car was sent back to me.

But still I had all the problems and the car was sent again to TASS and they replaced all the injectors. Now this solved the "service light" indication of "high pressure & low pressure circuit" error" & cold start rpm fluctuation. But still I was getting "service light" for "accelerator sensor" error.

After couple of months again cold start fluctuation error came. I was also fighting with TASS for my "service light" problem that time. TML engineer took up the car this time and replaced the Mass flow sensor and now the cold start problem went away. But still the service light (for accelerator sensor) remains and this is the current pendinig problem.

Each of the service light indications are not hard (does not always continue to glow or reproducable) but were recorded in ECU.

Though the TASS/TML sorted out the "high pressure/low pressure circuit error" problem noting it from ECU, now they refuse to sort out the second problem saying that it is not reproducable for them at workshop. As per my knowledge they did not change any part to solve this problem not even accelerator pedal/sensor.

They convince me that this is a "no harm" problem and ask me to use the car. I am fighting with them
1) for a proper fix with root cause analysis
2) or a undertaking letter saying that this is known design problem and could not be fixed as of now & that will undertake the services free of cost for any problems arising out of this
3) or a undertaking letter saying that they could not diagonise the problem and they will service any engine problem free of cost.

Right now the car in service for past 11 days and even now I am being asked (by TML CSM/TASS) to take back the vehicle saying (verbally) that (1) they could not reproduce the problem (even though the problem is recorded in ECU) and that (2) they will help me in future issues.

I have gone through lot of mental pressures in these episodes (which is happening for past 1 year almost) and tensionful discussion. I had not described them above. Also I have not mentioned n number of service pickup and drops happened to solve this problem in vain.

Please let me know if anyone has got similar problem.
Kindly help me by suggesting
1) if you have come across this problem and if there is any know fix for this issue
2)What are the options for me at this point to handle TASS/TML. Please note that I was notified that the issue is logged in TML database.

Thank you
Vichu

The car details:
VX 4x4 ,3.0, 60K KM ,
Bought on 2007 March1
The extended warranty ended in March 1, 2010.
Old 26th April 2010, 08:30   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vichu View Post
Please let me know if anyone has got similar problem.
Kindly help me by suggesting
1) if you have come across this problem and if there is any know fix for this issue
2)What are the options for me at this point to handle TASS/TML. Please note that I was notified that the issue is logged in TML database.
Vichu, I think Tsk1979 has been through all of this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...e-brewing.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks