Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 16:09   #1966
Team-BHP Support

Does the service light come on? If not it will be tough, but my guess is that its the acc sensor problem. Sometimes it does not show up as service light, but on the diagnostics screen the engineer can see problematic values.
Ask them to change the pedal.
If possible, take a video if you pressing the accelerator, and no change in engine note.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:44   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Alter Ego there can be two situations because of which this problem may arise:-

1. An error registered in the ECU causing it to shift onto "Limp Home" mode (as in your case everything becomes normal after some time this is a less likely cause)

2. Fault in the throttle position sensor. If your throttle position sensor is faulty, or loose this can happen. If you check your accelerator pedal there will be a connector (mostly 12 pole) with the pedal module, please check if it is seated properly. Else if found loose, remove and refit again.

Before/After doing all these if you see a MIL/Engine check lamp in your instrument cluster, then you need to get the error code checked through a diagnostic connector. This is only possible at a Authorized Service Centre. They may also need to check the continuity of the wire leading to the TPS.

Spike
Old 8th April 2010, 08:20   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Does the service light come on? If not it will be tough, but my guess is that its the acc sensor problem. Sometimes it does not show up as service light, but on the diagnostics screen the engineer can see problematic values.
Ask them to change the pedal.
If possible, take a video if you pressing the accelerator, and no change in engine note.
Thanks Tanveer, the service light does not lights up.I was wondering it to be a sensor problem but its inconsitent.Like today morning when I cranked the engine up , the acc responded normally.No lag in response.
Will anyways have the acc. sensor checked when I take the beast to service this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Alter Ego there can be two situations because of which this problem may arise:-

1. An error registered in the ECU causing it to shift onto "Limp Home" mode (as in your case everything becomes normal after some time this is a less likely cause)

2. Fault in the throttle position sensor. If your throttle position sensor is faulty, or loose this can happen. If you check your accelerator pedal there will be a connector (mostly 12 pole) with the pedal module, please check if it is seated properly. Else if found loose, remove and refit again.

Before/After doing all these if you see a MIL/Engine check lamp in your instrument cluster, then you need to get the error code checked through a diagnostic connector. This is only possible at a Authorized Service Centre. They may also need to check the continuity of the wire leading to the TPS.

Spike
Spike, I am not sure about the limp mode as this problem is seen maybe 2 out of 10 times.
Thanks for the input on the connector seating.Will check it myself.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:43   #1969
BHPian

I faced the problem of Service Light coming on intermittently, especially during deceleration. I was told that this has to do with the pressure in the rails. TASS called in the Lucas guys for that. Hopefully it is resolved as I am taking delivery of the car after the 3rd Service. The alternator had also started giving problems. The light came on while I was driving to TASS for servicing. I was told it is being repaired by Lucas and there won't be any problems after that. I refused to accept a repaired/defective product and forced them to change under warranty. Just got a call that they have done so and have taken the car out for test drive. Hopefully I'll find my Safari in pink of health this evening.

btw - At the 3rd service I changed oil to synthetic (Castrol Edge) after a bardahl engine flush. I was present while they changed it. I hope Synthetic was the right choice.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:50   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post
btw - At the 3rd service I changed oil to synthetic (Castrol Edge) after a bardahl engine flush. I was present while they changed it. I hope Synthetic was the right choice.
What is a bardahl engine flush? please explain.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:57   #1971
Team-BHP Support

Its a mechanism to increase profit and income of Workshops and thus in turn help the local economy.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:59   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What is a bardahl engine flush? please explain.
Scroll down to the Engine Flush section on this page: Tata Motors Customer Care :: Decarbonising & Engine Flush

More about About Bardahl products

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its a mechanism to increase profit and income of Workshops and thus in turn help the local economy.
couldn't control it.

-BJ
Old 8th April 2010, 18:55   #1973
BHPian

Synthetic engine oil on vtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post
wheelsNsqueals,

what difference do you see in engine performance, noise, etc after switching to Edge?

These days everyone at Concorde workshop swears by Castrol Edge. What is the opinion of members here? How does it compare with Mobil 1?
Old 8th April 2010, 19:01   #1974
Team-BHP Support

Castrol edge in a 2.2 DICOR? Why put an inferior grade oil which does not even meet the minimum manufacturer required grade in the car, and pay more for it.
remember, if your engine goes bust, Tata can deny warranty claims because you put an inferior grade(API-CF) oil in the car instead of minimum recommended API-CH4 oil.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:18   #1975
BHPian

But TSK, Concorde guys are recommending it and have Edge in stock! They are trying to convince me to switch at the service at 15K kms.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:55   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Castrol Edge was recommended to me for my upcoming 45k service by the service advisor.
I think its a total waste. the drain period with the oil TML was using earlier was 15 kms and with synthetic its the same, so why pay extra.
In fact its cheaper and better to change your engine oil every 7.5k kms.

This engine flush, decarbonizing, synthetic oil is all money making gimmicks unless you drive on the redline everyday everytime.
Another suggestion was to go for engine bay polishing where they use some product to treat the engine components externally to make it shine like new.

@vijuvarghese > dont bite their bullet. It will only lighten your wallet with no benifit to your Safari.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 8th April 2010 at 19:58.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:11   #1977
BHPian

Recirculating vent switch issue?

Just a question. On speeds above 50/60 kmph, has anyone noticed that if the vent is switched off and then switched back on (yellow light glows), it does not turn on? Once the speed lowers, it properly turns on! Is this an anomaly on my beast or is it with all others?
Old 8th April 2010, 22:18   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
Just a question. On speeds above 50/60 kmph, has anyone noticed that if the vent is switched off and then switched back on (yellow light glows), it does not turn on? Once the speed lowers, it properly turns on! Is this an anomaly on my beast or is it with all others?
When you switch it on the yellow light glows, that means the vent is closed.
When the light is off, it means the vent is open.

In my case the vent is always closed and the orange light is always on. I never open the vent since I prefer to lower the windows instead. I have never made it a point to observe what uve mentioned, but what u say should not happen because the vent should remain closed when the light glows regardless of the speed of the vehicle.

Ive observed in my Safari that inspite of the vent being closed odours from outside the car can be smelt inside the cabin. Im not sure if this is a vent fault or its the case with all Safaris.
The TASS checked the vent and said its closed. The vent is visible from inside the engine bay too, just a little off centre on the left sidebelow the wipers.
Can someone shed light on this.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 8th April 2010 at 22:22.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:04   #1979
Team-BHP Support

On our ladakh trip, inspite of keeping vent closed, we were constantly getting a full load of dust inside the cabin.
Multiple visits to TASS have not helped. Dust is less, but still comes in. But I do not blame the workshops for this. Fresh air went technology is similar to those used in Cryogenic rocket engines. Even NASA can't get it right everytime.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:30   #1980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Ive observed in my Safari that inspite of the vent being closed odours from outside the car can be smelt inside the cabin. Im not sure if this is a vent fault or its the case with all Safaris.

Add me to the list!!!
Whether the vent is open or closed it doesnt matter, Tata's have taken due care of our health and made sure that the air in the vehicle is always been refreshed and recirculated and is extremely noticeable whenever one is passing though an area where the stench is simple unbearable
I think this is when one startes to fiddle around with the vents and checks whether the windows are all closed or not!!!

Any solution to this guys???

Most Viewed