Old 22nd March 2010, 14:18   #1921
BHPian

thanks Ovi and BJ96.

so no way out to connect an USB here ?
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:20   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
I got a shining DVA-9861E and its remote without any LCD screens on my Ex 4X4 - I am yet to try connecting a video display to it, but have the i-pod interface hooked up. May be this was part of the 'Now-or-Never' offer ;-)
May be too many SKU is a headache so Alpine is shipping them same HU. or may be goof-up at assembly line.

Sometimes I wonder why Safari Vx, Gx , Ex , Lx should come with a nearly identical but slightly different console. A purely cosmatic item like console can be made identical with different skins ( fox wooden , golden , brushed metal ) to save on cost and process.

I think poor QC at TML is also due to so many variants and SKUs to take care off in each of the vehicles. Indica has more then 12 variants and Safari has 8 variants in production ( VX , VX 4X4, GX , GX 4X4 , EX, EX 4X4, LX , LX TCIC)
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:35   #1923
v&v
Senior - BHPian

A query regarding the safari turning radius.

The later 2009 safari's i have observed that they have better turning radius than the older one like mine. I have seen this on ITMYLIFE safari, his safari easily takes the U turn on our VK road where as mine i have to turn from the mid lane.

I recently me a safari owner at Autolink , Vasant kunj, he too had a Jan 09 model like mine and told me he adjusted the turning angle of his safari.

How safe is this to do. Any body in this fourm done the same ?
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:43   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
A query regarding the safari turning radius.

The later 2009 safari's i have observed that they have better turning radius than the older one like mine. I have seen this on ITMYLIFE safari, his safari easily takes the U turn on our VK road where as mine i have to turn from the mid lane.

I recently me a safari owner at Autolink , Vasant kunj, he too had a Jan 09 model like mine and told me he adjusted the turning angle of his safari.

How safe is this to do. Any body in this fourm done the same ?
Yes I have adjusted , It can be done by steering idler nuts. You need to check that tyre does not foul with anything , Best way to test is to go to some multilevel car part with spiraling driveway so that you can turn steering fully and test both going up and down that there is no fouling of tyre both up and down.
Old 24th March 2010, 00:24   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guessing- the issue may be altogether different.

Was your AC on? It could be that compressor engages, putting load on engine and latter tries to catch-up, vibrating, increasing RPM etc. Though AC compressor does not cause any "perceptible" change in RPM on road, but standing/idling- it will be noticeable and you may also hear "tick-tick" of AC relay/motor.

-BJ
I agree with BJ - this is due to the A/C compressor.

Sunish - have you noticed any change in the RPM when this happens? Also, does this happen with A/C switched off?
Old 24th March 2010, 16:27   #1926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However if this issue came with 25 liters in tank, then the safari was really really tilted... any pics?
There is a video too but not very good:

This image was shot with the camera tilted. So you need to imagine the horizon (the mountains) as horizontal to get an idea of the tilt:

Here's another average pic form the video itself:
Attached Images

Old 24th March 2010, 18:25   #1927
BHPian

Had a new rodent attack on my truck lately. While checking under the hood, saw a puddle of oil ( the viscocity felt less than engine oil though) top of the engine block, near the injector inlet. Ran the engine for some time but did not feel any leak from the block. The first thought that came to my mind was that the oil may have puddled there while pouring it in , but as mentioned earlier the viscocity was less than regular oil (diesel mixed???)

the second was that I found the "Glow Plug" wire cut, the indication on the dash was normal,the glow plug light comes on for a few seconds the goes off. that means that the light is no indication of a working Glow Plug, only that it is being supplied with power during start up. contrary to my perception upto now !
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-24032010314-640x480.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-24032010315-640x480.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-24032010307-640x480.jpg  

Old 24th March 2010, 22:40   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Tejas.
Guys, the video here shows the exact angle of the tilt at which the engine was starved of fuel and stalled inspite of approx 20-25 liters of fuel in the tank.

@TSK > did your Safari too stall at a similar angle before it had to be primed.

Has anyone experienced similar engine stalling due to fuel starvation in a Safari ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
There is a video too but not very good:

YouTube - 2 Jeeps Towing 2 others

This image was shot with the camera tilted. So you need to imagine the horizon (the mountains) as horizontal to get an idea of the tilt:

Here's another average pic form the video itself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Had a new rodent attack on my truck lately. While checking under the hood, saw a puddle of oil ( the viscocity felt less than engine oil though) top of the engine block, near the injector inlet. Ran the engine for some time but did not feel any leak from the block. The first thought that came to my mind was that the oil may have puddled there while pouring it in , but as mentioned earlier the viscocity was less than regular oil (diesel mixed???)

the second was that I found the "Glow Plug" wire cut, the indication on the dash was normal,the glow plug light comes on for a few seconds the goes off. that means that the light is no indication of a working Glow Plug, only that it is being supplied with power during start up. contrary to my perception upto now !
One things i have found that work effectively for rat therapy. During long periods of parking i put napthalene balls inside the engine bay everywhere and inside the cabin too. The rat hates the smell and stays away. You will need to ventilate your car though when you reopen the cabin after a long duration.

For regular use, keep changing your vehicle parking if possible to keep the rat confused. Works well for me.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:04   #1929
Senior - BHPian

or maybe keep a pet cat so at least there will be no rats in home to chew the cables.
Old 25th March 2010, 07:01   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks Tejas.
Guys, the video here shows the exact angle of the tilt at which the engine was starved of fuel and stalled inspite of approx 20-25 liters of fuel in the tank.

@TSK > did your Safari too stall at a similar angle before it had to be primed.

Has anyone experienced similar engine stalling due to fuel starvation in a Safari ?
Design fault of the fuel tank.
If you look closely at the fuel tank, you will find that the fuel strainer is located on the extreme left side of the tank (almost). So if the fuel level, goes below a certain mark ( i dunno) and safari tilted like Jays illustrated one..to the right side; it may have starting problem.

This would occur coz the fuel strainer, will not find adequete diesel to suck.

The opposite tilt maynot have ths issue. The only work around I see is that it may need more than 35-40 ltrs of fuel.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:47   #1931
Team-BHP Support

Not so extreme angle, but I had just 5-6 liters in tank, not 25.
With your kind of tilting I can see why even 25 liters was not enough. A point to note I think during OTRs.
Old 25th March 2010, 16:51   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post

I have experienced this thrice.
First time, I had parked the vehicle with left tyres over a moderately high foot path. Hardly some 5-6Ltrs fuels in tank. I came back after 10 mins and cranked, engine starts and then stops of fuel starvation in a minute. I immediately put on neatral, roll down to level ground and cranks again, it starts this time with 2 -3 cranking.

Second time, My friend had taken my car. I get a call from him, saying the car is not starting. I ask him about the fuel level and the inclination. Fuel, just touching red (>10Ltrs), Inclination, again left side on higher side. I suggest him to get the vehicle to level ground, but he couldn't do that. I give him TAS$ SA's number. The service advicer guides him over the phone to manually prime. The vehicle started after priming. Thats when I too came to know about the manual priming stuff.

Third time, I was trying to park the vehicle. I miscalculated the turn while reversing. The car ended up in an awkward angle. Left 2 tyres where on level ground. Right front tyre was at a much lower level and the right rear tyre was almost hanging in air. I loose traction, and right wheel goes for free spin. I was switching to 4WD and in the mean time engine dies. This time, i know how to prime, and does that. Engine comes back to life, and with 4WD, I come out. This time, the fuel level was in between Half mark and red (around 20ltrs i guess).

After these incidents, I am very careful about the inclination. Never taken chances with left side up. I feel pretty confident whenever the driver side is on higher side .
Old 25th March 2010, 16:56   #1933
Senior - BHPian

You guys are sure that in extreme tilt situations (like Jay's), it is not the crank sensor or the cam sensor that is detecting an abnormality & not allowing the vehicle to fire up?
Old 25th March 2010, 18:27   #1934
BHPian

@suman i do not think so.I have faced the same problem once(parking the vehicle on incline) and had to use the priming pump.After priming,the vehicle started normally and that rules out the crank or cam sensor acting up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
You guys are sure that in extreme tilt situations (like Jay's), it is not the crank sensor or the cam sensor that is detecting an abnormality & not allowing the vehicle to fire up?
Old 26th March 2010, 00:17   #1935
BHPian

I cannot be any kind of sensor. We can feel the engine dying out of fuel starvation. So it is definitely something to do with fuel supply.
And after priming it springs back to life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks