Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 19:17   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Reporting success here! 3 quick spray of WD40 onto the back door latch and a couple of close-open cycles, the light sprang back on! So, now we know.

(Not sure, but is the amount of grease over there to be blamed??? )

So, people, if :
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...However, in our safari, the light would not come on with the rear boot door...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
... Lights do not come on when the boot door is opened...
Solution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Try spraying WD40 inside the keyhole and on the springs of door latch...
Plausible clause:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
...I think dirt on contacts in the door locks is the issue.
Amit:
Old 19th March 2010, 19:38   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, in our safari, the light would not come on with the rear boot door. It was fixed by some adjustment to the switch in the rear tailgate.
Same thing happened in my safari too, to driver's door. wd40 works for few days and problem resurfaces. Reported to TASS during 2nd service. The door latch (containing switch) was replaced FOC under warranty.

I think it costs about ~300/- or so and is a DIYable activity- requires about an hour- r&r door trims, plastic etc.

-BJ
Old 19th March 2010, 20:47   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Fumes from just your Safari's?
Well..thats a Yes JK

Since its blown gasket, the fumes spilled into engine compartment and then into the cabin

I am deadsure that there is a leak. but where ? the fresh air intake or some missing mysterious grommet on the firewall
Old 20th March 2010, 09:39   #1894
BHPian

I too had a problem on boot door latch.

Apparantly boot door latch is a problem

WD40 did not solve the problem.

The problem resulted in light remaining on, the door open symbol in the dashboard showing that a door is open and the doors would not lock as a result.
Apparantly something shorted somewhere.

I tried for extended warranty - too much of a hassle (the extended warranty)- got is changed - Rs. 750 and came back.

P.S: BTW the extended warranty was refused. I will have to fight it out - when I can find time

Mods: Sorry for repeating the post. I had posted the same here
Old 20th March 2010, 10:55   #1895
Team-BHP Support

Yup Zorick 88 worked nicely . No light problem now. Amit you rock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Well..thats a Yes JK

Since its blown gasket, the fumes spilled into engine compartment and then into the cabin

I am deadsure that there is a leak. but where ? the fresh air intake or some missing mysterious grommet on the firewall
The internal recirculation switch moves a flap kind of thing. On top of flap is a rubber/foam kind border which is stuck by glue. This thing partially comes off with time, so even when flap closes, it does not block external air.
I got it fixed few months back, and problem seems to be coming back. I am looking at a DIY by which I will paste an airfilter on the outer covering of firewall(bonnet side).
Only problem is that I cannot locate where this went is located
Old 20th March 2010, 11:05   #1896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup Zorick 88 worked nicely . No light problem now. Amit you rock!

The internal recirculation switch moves a flap kind of thing. On top of flap is a rubber/foam kind border which is stuck by glue. This thing partially comes off with time, so even when flap closes, it does not block external air.
I got it fixed few months back, and problem seems to be coming back. I am looking at a DIY by which I will paste an airfilter on the outer covering of firewall(bonnet side).
Only problem is that I cannot locate where this went is located
Let me know if you happen to chance upon the location
Old 20th March 2010, 20:59   #1897
BHPian

Hi all,

Mine's is a 2.2 VTT BS3 GX 4x4.

I have driven this vehicle for only 1400 kms till date since delivery on January 27th delivery.

One fine morning while driving back home a problem cropped up. The acceleration slowed down. I shift gears between 2300 to 2500 rpm. Now, after around 1300 kms i noticed, while in 4th gear, by the time I reach 2500 rpm and ready to shift to 5th, my speed is only 80 kmph. This was supposed to be 90 atleast. While taking test drives, I could even shift at 95 kmph and also a couple of times it was cruising at 100 when it called for a higher gear. Thats what I really liked - doing 100 in 4th in a SUV.

This is something I am disappointed about. Quite considerable acceleration lag is noticed.

I have not tried any stunts or off-roading with this till date though its a 4x4.

Now what i am worried about is, whats causing this at just 1400 kms. I hope its not a clutch or pressure plate burn as it is being driven with extreme care and caution.

On an enquiry or two, people guessed it out as, diesel filter being clogged up. If so, why so early?

Another observation is, in reverse gear, when climbing up a slope, I feel some power lag. With the AC on, and normal throttle the engine comes to a hault and then, i have to crank it again and accelerate harder.

The slope is not much as in we have trucks with loads of 25 to 55 tonnes (over-loaded) climbing it up regularly.

Climbing it up in forward gears is not an issue. But, i suppose, the reverse gear should have the same power as the 1st gear.

Another issue,
From day 1 , i had an issue of the speedometer not reading properly, either the speed or the distance. Drove it to the workshop the other day, a guy got underneath and did something only he knows. Checked with OBD2 to detect no errors. Driving back home the same happened. The service light popped up as and when it felt like.

I reported this again in the 1st service and they said they rectified the error. It wasn't. The speedometer read correctly but, the service light pops up sometimes also, on observing carefully, the speedometer needle undergoes slight fluctuations (very minutely) at times.

If i have to get the diesel filter cleaned, am i supposed to be charged ?

Please help. I will be visiting TASS shortly after i reach home.

Last edited by arijit.co.in : 20th March 2010 at 21:08.
Old 20th March 2010, 21:12   #1898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit.co.in View Post
... diesel filter being clogged up. If so, why so early?...
If i have to get the diesel filter cleaned, am i supposed to be charged ?
Are you sure about the quality of diesel you have poured? Since, it is only about 1400 kms or so, I guess, this would be your 2nd or 3rd tank-fill? A bad fuel can clog the filter. Get the water sedimenter checked too.

If it is due to bad fuel then you will have to bear the cost (naturally), but, if it is something else not attributed to (mis)use on your part, then it should be covered by warranty, probably a PDI failure? Escalate to TML if TASS does not accept warranty.

-BJ
Old 20th March 2010, 21:26   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Are you sure about the quality of diesel you have poured? Since, it is only about 1400 kms or so, I guess, this would be your 2nd or 3rd tank-fill? A bad fuel can clog the filter. Get the water sedimenter checked too.

If it is due to bad fuel then you will have to bear the cost (naturally), but, if it is something else not attributed to (mis)use on your part, then it should be covered by warranty, probably a PDI failure? Escalate to TML if TASS does not accept warranty.

-BJ
Thanks brother.
Regarding fuel, I have only used premium fuel from authorised filling stations for this vehicle. So bad fuel is completely out of question.

The water sediment-er ? The light for that has not popped till now. However, i f i have to check it manually, where do I find it and how do i check it?

PDI - yes my vehicle failed PDI. This I have already reported to TML when I got my first call after !st service and also the sales manager of the dealership from where i purchased this. It was all dirty, the interiors were having black marks. Later while on a long drive, I ran out of clutch fluid. The clutch pedal hesitated to function for a while and later stopped functioning completely. A local mechanic then identified it as the clutch fluid was missing. We topped it and continued. A few days later, the clutch pedal again hesitated to revert back a couple of times but never repeated again. Hence, I did not worry much.
Old 20th March 2010, 21:32   #1900
Senior - BHPian

My opinion's:

Quote:
...One fine morning while driving back home a problem cropped up. The acceleration slowed down. I shift gears between 2300 to 2500 rpm. Now, after around 1300 kms i noticed, while in 4th gear, by the time I reach 2500 rpm and ready to shift to 5th, my speed is only 80 kmph. This was supposed to be 90 atleast. While taking test drives, I could even shift at 95 kmph and also a couple of times it was cruising at 100 when it called for a higher gear. Thats what I really liked - doing 100 in 4th in a SUV.

This is something I am disappointed about. Quite considerable acceleration lag is noticed...
If you vehicle is breathing fine and turbo has no issues (which should not be there), then this is normal. Not sure how you say that acceleration lag is quite considerable.

If you had the air filter checked, also ask them to check the turbo hoses. (But then, this should be more than evident if present).

Quote:
...Another observation is, in reverse gear, when climbing up a slope, I feel some power lag. With the AC on, and normal throttle the engine comes to a hault and then, i have to crank it again and accelerate harder.

The slope is not much as in we have trucks with loads of 25 to 55 tonnes (over-loaded) climbing it up regularly...
I am sure the 25/55 ton vehicle are not going up the slope with a light footed acceleration. Give the vehicle enough throttle power, else it will stall. But as noted above, if indeed there is an acceleration issue with the vehicle, then this is also due to that.

Quote:
...From day 1 , i had an issue of the speedometer not reading properly, either the speed or the distance. Drove it to the workshop the other day, a guy got underneath and did something only he knows. Checked with OBD2 to detect no errors. Driving back home the same happened. The service light popped up as and when it felt like.

I reported this again in the 1st service and they said they rectified the error. It wasn't. The speedometer read correctly but, the service light pops up sometimes also, on observing carefully, the speedometer needle undergoes slight fluctuations (very minutely) at times...
Might be a fault speedometer unit; ask them for a warranty replacement.

Quote:
...If i have to get the diesel filter cleaned, am i supposed to be charged ?...
Yes.

EDIT:

Quote:
...Regarding fuel, I have only used premium fuel from authorised filling stations for this vehicle. So bad fuel is completely out of question...
Arijit,

Stop using premium fuel and use only normal diesel. And about going only to "authorized filling stations", I would rather have you go to some good bunk where few people known to you would vouch about the quality of fuel. Most fuel pumps, private or COCO, cheat.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 20th March 2010 at 21:36.
Old 20th March 2010, 21:40   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
My opinion's:

If you vehicle is breathing fine and turbo has no issues (which should not be there), then this is normal. Not sure how you say that acceleration lag is quite considerable.

If you had the air filter checked, also ask them to check the turbo hoses. (But then, this should be more than evident if present).

I am sure the 25/55 ton vehicle are not going up the slope with a light footed acceleration. Give the vehicle enough throttle power, else it will stall. But as noted above, if indeed there is an acceleration issue with the vehicle, then this is also due to that.

Might be a fault speedometer unit; ask them for a warranty replacement.

Yes.

EDIT:

Arijit,

Stop using premium fuel and use only normal diesel. And about going only to "authorized filling stations", I would rather have you go to some good bunk where few people known to you would vouch about the quality of fuel. Most fuel pumps, private or COCO, cheat.
thanks happywheels.
but the acceleration issue. i am very sure of it. i have been driving my bolero since 5 years hence, i can confirm that. Not only that, before making my purchase decision, i test drove 3 different safaris (lx, gx and vx). in them, i could shift to 5th while at 2500 rpm and the speed being 95 or 100.
Old 20th March 2010, 22:32   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Arijit,

If the difference is noticeable, then the best way is to take the SA in a demo vehicle and then in your vehicle and then show them the difference. Else they will just push it off saying that it is "normal sir".
Old 20th March 2010, 22:32   #1903
Team-BHP Support

Do not use premium diesel in your car. It causes trouble. Use normal diesel from a reputed pump
Old 20th March 2010, 22:39   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Arijit,

If the difference is noticeable, then the best way is to take the SA in a demo vehicle and then in your vehicle and then show them the difference. Else they will just push it off saying that it is "normal sir".

thanks brother. will definitely do that.
Old 21st March 2010, 00:11   #1905
BHPian

Rear mud flaps

Are rear mud flaps really necessary, as the rear bumper is not of any metal.

Do we get any body coloured and integrated mud flaps for the rear as installed in the front? The stock body coloured mud flaps provided for the front look really sexy.

Also, any idea why Safari is not provided with rear mud flaps? Almost all vehicles are provided with these. Its included in the basic necessities. The monsoons are approaching hence, I gotta be quick lest any damage.

Most Viewed