Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 19:40   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
a strange vibration when the car is idling at times, it vibrates ... and then comes back normal in a second ...
Guessing- the issue may be altogether different.

Was your AC on? It could be that compressor engages, putting load on engine and latter tries to catch-up, vibrating, increasing RPM etc. Though AC compressor does not cause any "perceptible" change in RPM on road, but standing/idling- it will be noticeable and you may also hear "tick-tick" of AC relay/motor.

-BJ
Old 16th March 2010, 19:55   #1877
BHPian

it does not matter, the issue occurs when the ac is on or not.
Old 16th March 2010, 20:05   #1878
Senior - BHPian

vehicle not starting in an incline is mostly observed on vehicles with mechanical fuel pumps, such a condition arises in inclines when the fuel is shifted away in a fuel tank from the pump/strainer assembly.

Spike
Old 16th March 2010, 20:47   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Car is due for its third service and i noticed a strange vibration when the car is idling at times, it vibrates as if the diesel flow is stopped and then comes back normal in a second. Most of the time my car runs atleast half tank so diesel is not the issue. Called up TASS but could not reproduce and they checked and found no errors in ECU. Noticed this vibration happening when car is idling at traffic signals as well.

Any idea? Anyone facing the same issue ? Otherwise, car runs super smooth.

Btw i rode the new 2.2 (so called 2010 version) and the clutch and gearshifting is few notches above the older 2.2s i am really impressed.

Thanks,
Sunish
Can you ask them to check the RPM and increase it by a tad.

The clutch and brake system design have undergone changes in second half of 2009, so that ought to be better. No clue on the gearbox though.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:10   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Car is due for its third service and i noticed a strange vibration when the car is idling at times, it vibrates as if the diesel flow is stopped and then comes back normal in a second. Most of the time my car runs atleast half tank so diesel is not the issue. Called up TASS but could not reproduce and they checked and found no errors in ECU. Noticed this vibration happening when car is idling at traffic signals as well.

Any idea? Anyone facing the same issue ? Otherwise, car runs super smooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Can you ask them to check the RPM and increase it by a tad.

The clutch and brake system design have undergone changes in second half of 2009, so that ought to be better. No clue on the gearbox though.

I have experienced this phenomenon from day 1.
I had then asked dealer (the same day evening when I had brought the car home) as to why the RPM does not increase when AC is switched on.
I was told that ECU does all the adjustments neccessary and there is no perceptible rise in RPM like in the "older" cars.

I have since ignored it.

When I was in TA$$ yesterday for the Turbo hose fitment, I got them to check with the laptop.

Except for the error on a/c of the Turbo hose the slate was clean.

Unless the vibrations at idling is very high, I suggest that we let the sleeping dog lie. .

P.S: Dadu: Can you increase the RPM ? I do not think so. It is all part of the ECU program - to best of my knowledge.
Old 18th March 2010, 13:24   #1881
BHPian

I had a broken front left alloy some months ago. I think it was in december. The alloy had cracked on the inside circumference. The service advisor told it might have hit some stone, though it was strange that the tyre did not have any marks. Again, it was very strange that the alloy could get a hit from inside.
However I got it repaired, and I am using it as spare.

Now the shocking thing: Recently I went to for a wheel allignment, the front left alloy is again scratched from inside!!! Some part of suspension or something thing else is hitting my alloys (it is the OEM Alloys and Tyres). Need to take it to service centre.

Any ideas what could be hitting my rims?
Old 18th March 2010, 21:35   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Off late i used to smell exhaust fumes during startup in mornings. I ignored it 2-3 times, but then it continued to come everyday. This was accompanied by droplets of coolant falling on ground after parking for the day.

Today decided to find out the root cause and dropped the vehicle at tass.

Exhaust Fumes in cabin was traced to blown exhaust pipe gasket (the coupling just below the catcon).

Wow look at the pic below to ascertain the extent of the damage.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-18032010153.jpg

The total cost out of my pocket was 204.00 for the above inclusive all tax vax , part costs, labour etc. & its a consumable so you pay for labour and material

Radiator coolant leakage was traced to faulty drain plug.

Apparently, both these came after the visit to TML ERC, the so called experts.. What a coincidence. !

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 18th March 2010 at 21:36.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:06   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I had a broken front left alloy some months ago. I think it was in december. The alloy had cracked on the inside circumference. The service advisor told it might have hit some stone, though it was strange that the tyre did not have any marks. Again, it was very strange that the alloy could get a hit from inside.

Now the shocking thing: Recently I went to for a wheel allignment, the front left alloy is again scratched from inside!!! Some part of suspension or something thing else is hitting my alloys (it is the OEM Alloys and Tyres). Need to take it to service centre.

Maybe impact from your accident shows up now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Off late i used to smell exhaust fumes during startup in mornings. I ignored it 2-3 times, but then it continued to come everyday. This was accompanied by droplets of coolant falling on ground after parking for the day.

Today decided to find out the root cause and dropped the vehicle at tass.

Exhaust Fumes in cabin was traced to blown exhaust pipe gasket (the coupling just below the catcon).

The total cost out of my pocket was 204.00 for the above inclusive all tax vax , part costs, labour etc. & its a consumable so you pay for labour and material

Fumes from just your Safari's?
Old 19th March 2010, 11:11   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
IP.S: Dadu: Can you increase the RPM ? I do not think so. It is all part of the ECU program - to best of my knowledge.
Yes, you can, if you have the Delphi version of the ECU management software. T.A.S.S has just the basic ver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post

Post pictures from the inside underbelly and rim.
Old 19th March 2010, 16:01   #1885
BHPian

Anybody in B'lore went to the checkup camp?

It is for the 2nd time in about 2 weeks that i got a call from Concorde Motors, seeking confirmation to be present at a so-called free checkup at their Kudlu Gate premises, on the Sunday, 28th of this month. Anyone else got the call, and planning to attend?
Old 19th March 2010, 16:24   #1886
Team-BHP Support

when the car doors open, the interior lights set to middle position come on. this happens with all doors, including the rear boot door for the safari.
However, in our safari, the light would not come on with the rear boot door. It was fixed by some adjustment to the switch in the rear tailgate.
It worked fine for a month, then again, the light would not come on with rear tailgate open.
Again it was fixed, and then again after a month or so it stopped working.
This is turning out to be an irritating niggle.
In indica etc., its easy to locate the small switch which goes in "off" position with door closed, but I inspected the tailgate area of the safari, and could not figure out where this switch is.
Now at the 45K service I will get it fixed, but I wonder it it will stop working again?
Any ideas for a permanent fix to this problem?
Old 19th March 2010, 16:38   #1887
Senior - BHPian

@TSK1979,

Was about to make the same post!

Same situation. Lights do not come on when the boot door is opened. One week back, when taking out an umbrella, the handle hit the light unit (by mistake) and it started working again. This went on till day before. Now no light.

Tried searching where the heck the switch is to do a DIY, no luck!

With another 3k kms to go for 15k kms service, not sure if I want to take it down for a quick fix. But reading TSK's note, I am not sure if the quick fix might end up being one of the many quick fixes it might need!

Anyone else facing this issue?
Old 19th March 2010, 16:47   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Try spraying WD40 inside the keyhole and on the springs of door latch.
My belief ( No concrete proof) lights and Lock Control Unit ( LCU) are integrated in some way.

In my Safari lights were not coming on after unlocking front drivers side door with Key in first try, doing lock - unlock immediately would switch on the light. Got the problem sorted first time at T.A.S.S but problem surfaced after a month.

I just tried spraying WD40 in keyhole and on the spring behind the door latch lever. Locking / unlocking was smooth and lights started working.

I think dirt on contacts in the door locks is the issue.
Old 19th March 2010, 17:26   #1889
Team-BHP Support

Thanks amit. I did not get WD40 anywhere, so bought Zorick 88. It helped a lot in eliminating the squeaks from the hinges after ladakh trip. I will try it in evening and update
Old 19th March 2010, 17:38   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Have a can of WD40 in the Safari at all times, but today Alto is doing the office trip honors. Will check when I get back home and update. Thanks for the tip, Amit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks