Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2010, 22:26   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Based on our coversation, I believe they would have changed the flywheel also along with the clutch assembly.

Rest doesnt make sense, fan doesnt work all the time and only when it goes beyond the desired temp.

Are they trying to tell us that they measure the resonance of each clutch plate with the engine on the assembly lines, I doubt it.
NVH team at their best.. rest all is big mystery
Old 14th March 2010, 13:26   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
NVH team at their best.. rest all is big mystery
Perhaps i found one link which they were talking about

Pressure Plate Improperly Balanced - Classic Trucks Magazine

@dadu.. not sure if the experts are truly telling me the whole story, but i would love to know the secret.
Old 14th March 2010, 21:03   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Most safari's after Clutch changes get the "khat" sound while changing gears, heard with the windows down very clearly. You need to watch out for that.

When the frquency of the engine exactly matches the frequency of the metal used in the chasis body, its creates a strong vibration, example can be seen in the old public buses when the whole body shakes with the engine resonance, dont remember the exact term now, read it during my school days.

Based on our coversation, I believe they would have changed the flywheel also along with the clutch assembly.

Rest doesnt make sense, fan doesnt work all the time and only when it goes beyond the desired temp.

Are they trying to tell us that they measure the resonance of each clutch plate with the engine on the assembly lines, I doubt it.
Dadu,
I am having same problem, now it is getting worse. whenever i change gear always this sund with small jerk occurs. Even after stopping vehicle when i change my gear to neutral this sound comes.
One day it was giving good jerks like someone has banged my vehicle from behind, i got down from vehicle 2-3 times in middle of traffic to see if someone has banged, but there was no one. i realized this sound when i was parkign my vehicle in my garage. Is there any problem in cross of shaft or flywheel.
Please help me.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 15th March 2010, 10:31   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Get your clutch inspected at TASS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dadu,
I am having same problem, now it is getting worse. whenever i change gear always this sund with small jerk occurs. Even after stopping vehicle when i change my gear to neutral this sound comes.
One day it was giving good jerks like someone has banged my vehicle from behind, i got down from vehicle 2-3 times in middle of traffic to see if someone has banged, but there was no one. i realized this sound when i was parkign my vehicle in my garage. Is there any problem in cross of shaft or flywheel.
Please help me.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 15th March 2010, 11:03   #1850
Senior - BHPian

This is something I discovered in yesterdays OTR.
Thought I will share this for the benifit of other Safari'áns.

While negotiating an obstacle, my Safari with the entire drivers side was tilted sideways approx 30-35*downwards(means left side of the vehicle was up by approx 30-35*). After about a minute in that angle while I was trying to negotiate the obstacle, the Safari engine stopped by itself. There was a little less than half tank of diesel in the tank then.
I tried priming the fuel by pressing that little blubber pump in the engine bay but it didnt help. The Safari just wouldnt start since the fuel wasnt coming to the engine.
Finally, we had to tow the Safari out since it just wouldnt start. Once one level ground, it started immediately.
So there was nothing wrong with my Safari, but there is something wrong with the fuel delivery at extreme angles, which i feel is a design and engineering issue.

I dont know if this is some kind of safety feature that caused the fuel to shut off(if it is, i think its really stupid) because there was still around 30 liters of diesel in the tank.

To me, this basically means, that if you are out to "make your own road" in the Safari and are negotiating through a trail with half a tank of fuel tilted right side down approx 30-35*, then your Safari engine will stall and you will be stranded unless help arrives to tow you out, or you can then continue making your own road on foot.

Im still waiting for pics from Matthew who shot the whole episode which will give you guys an idea of the angle im talking about.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 15th March 2010 at 11:05.
Old 15th March 2010, 11:09   #1851
Team-BHP Support

LOL jay. I also learnt this the hard way. the reserve light had just come up, and I parked her tilted.
When we came back, she would not start.
So I let her roll so that there was no angle, and then primed the hand pump.
So make sure that when you make your own road, you have atleast half tank.
Don't go by fuel guage. When its at half, there is actually only 20-25 liters in the tank.
Old 15th March 2010, 12:46   #1852
Senior - BHPian

25 liters of fuel in the tank should take you around 200kms in a 4x4 Safari.
So if you're out in your Safari "making your own road" with 200kms of road left to "reclaim your life" then you will probably be dead.
Ouch.. that hurt!!
Old 15th March 2010, 13:21   #1853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
...drivers side was tilted sideways approx 30-35*downwards(means left side of the vehicle was up by approx 30-35*).
Once one level ground, it started immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...I parked her tilted.
...primed the hand pump.
Were you both angled with the right (driver's) side downwards when this happened? If this is an issue with the fuel pump sucking in air because the suction end was not immersed in diesel, then the car shouldn't have started without priming - but Jayant, your Safari did.

Tanveer, did you try to start first without priming when you were on level ground?

OTOH, if it wasn't because of air in the pipelines, what could it be?

Old 15th March 2010, 13:27   #1854
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Were you both angled with the right (driver's) side downwards when this happened? If this is an issue with the fuel pump sucking in air because the suction end was not immersed in diesel, then the car shouldn't have started without priming - but Jayant, your Safari did.

Tanveer, did you try to start first without priming when you were on level ground?

OTOH, if it wasn't because of air in the pipelines, what could it be?

Actually she started, then engine died.
Cranked more, and she did not start.
At that moment I realized that its due to low fuel.
So I shifted to neutral, and let her roll in a way that she was level.
After that I primed the "bulb" pump.
It was fully soft(indication of air), and after few presses it became hard. Then I cranked her again, and she started fine.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:03   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Water cooled EGR. Details in the Safari 2010 thread.

Could you post the Link. I went thro all the posts (using the search function) and nowhere could I find the changes related to engine. .
Old 15th March 2010, 14:14   #1856
Team-BHP Support

Here you go -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ri-2010-a.html (Tata Safari 2010)
Old 15th March 2010, 14:24   #1857
BHPian

Thanks.

I had gone thro' this thread (while searching) but only cosmetic changes have been listed / discussed.

I have not been able to find Engine related changes in the 7 pages.

can you post the link to specific post?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:34   #1858
Team-BHP Support

In the press release Tata will say "BS IV" compliant. Technical details are never mentioned.
However, some posts do have this info
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post1732022 (Tata Safari 2010)
Moreover if you search water cooled EGR on custom google search you will get lots of hits!
Old 15th March 2010, 15:01   #1859
BHPian

Thanks a lot.

I should have searched on "water cooled EGR ". My bad.

I will now need to check out the EGR and its connections.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:19   #1860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...she did not start.
...she was level.
After that I primed the "bulb" pump.
You didn't try to crank the engine before priming, once it was on level ground?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks