Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 00:23   #1756
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Air Filter cleaning

Hi All,
Just wanted to know, besides scheduled services, when air filter should be cleaned? I went thru the manual, it speaks about red service band appearance on air filter! When I saw the filter, some red lining is visible inside it! So do I need to visit TASC and get it cleaned before the 3rd 15K service? or any DIY cleaning involved there?

Mine has done 12k (2 services) without any oil change, runs on normal diesel. Though there is no problem as such, but, off late (after a 3860 km Lucknow-Mumbai trip, the engine sound seems a tad more coarser!). Pl advise..
LDL dont ever wait for that red thing to work - it may or it may not and it never a good indicator. You will also find that engine oil consumption going up during this time. Air filter jammed up is quite harmful for the engine.

Also since it is a flint kind of material, bumping it to clean it does not help. Always change air filter at 7500 km, irrespective of what the manual or red thing says.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th February 2010 at 12:15. Reason: Moved all rat posts to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/2729-how-do-you-protect-your-car-rats-31.html#post171540
Old 5th February 2010, 17:09   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
LDL dont ever wait for that red thing to work - it may or it may not and it never a good indicator. You will also find that engine oil consumption going up during this time. Air filter jammed up is quite harmful for the engine.
Also since it is a flint kind of material, bumping it to clean it does not help. Always change air filter at 7500 km, irrespective of what the manual or red thing says.
Dada, it means, I should go for a voluntary Air filter change?! If I knew it I could have done it at 7500 itself! Engine oil was topped up (not changed) at 5k service, now at 12k it appears till optimum mark on the oil stick, though. I mean not much consumption of oil, it seems, But can't take chances with this sensitive engine.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 5th February 2010 at 17:11.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:42   #1758
Team-BHP Support

I follow manufacturer given recommendations. Oil change at 15000, and air filter at 30,000
Every time the car goes to a service center, it increases the chance of someone messing something somewhere. So the lesser you send the car to the service center, the longer it will survive.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:13   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
You will also find that engine oil consumption going up during this time. Air filter jammed up is quite harmful for the engine.
Is it increased engine oil consumption or increased fuel consumption with a clogged air filter?
Old 5th February 2010, 18:14   #1760
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
But can't take chances with this sensitive engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I follow manufacturer given recommendations. Oil change at 15000, and air filter at 30,000
Personal belief 15k km for a mineral oil would pushing too hard whatever the technology says. Castrol mineral oil at 5.5 km around has been followed from the beginning and when that engine thing happened, the insides were all clean like new.

For air filter myself had the same problem of air filter like LDL, coarse engine and oil consumption, they opened it up and it was like blocked. As per manual they cleaned it like banging it but nothing happens as one can make out this as flint kind of material. The dust sticks inside and does not come out. Again soon enough the engine became coarse and so changed the air filter at 15k km for the first time.

But when the mountain tours started, never took a chance with the air filter, always changed it around that 7.5 k to 10k km mark.

Quote:
Every time the car goes to a service center, it increases the chance of someone messing something somewhere. So the lesser you send the car to the service center, the longer it will survive.
But again, that last line can or might be a valid caveat - I got that biggest trouble and all that happened just on a voluntary simple oil change. They had left debris on the oil pan, it got sucked into the engine and then as that story goes.

Other than this, went for a brake servicing checkup, among some other issues, as it was iffy kind of during Arunachal tour.

Please those who know, dadu and all, are brake callipers and calliper kit different?

The service fellows said like since it is calliper kit it is not under EW - need some knowledge on this before I hold them up. It was entered as "Kit Minor" with cost of 1155.77 for both the front tyres.

And also for brake shoe both rear tyres the material cost was Rs 4040/-. Is this so high?

All due to extensive travel usage, piling up high bills now - once this weekend journey happens I am only going to malls and parks.

Last edited by adc : 5th February 2010 at 18:30.
Old 5th February 2010, 19:08   #1761
jav
BHPian

Quote:

Please those who know, dadu and all, are brake callipers and calliper kit different?
A caliper kit consists of a piston seal, a piston dust protection boot and caliper pins boot. The caliper is the full unit

Last edited by jav : 5th February 2010 at 19:09.
Old 5th February 2010, 19:28   #1762
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
A caliper kit consists of a piston seal, a piston dust protection boot and caliper pins boot. The caliper is the full unit
Thanks much jav, so looking at those items does it look like those can be loosely classified as "consumables", and hence it is not under EW or can I press for EW?

And rear brake shoe pads cost that much?
Old 5th February 2010, 19:57   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..calliper kit it is not under EW - need some knowledge on this before I hold them up. It was entered as "Kit Minor" with cost of 1155.77 for both the front tyres.
Can you post the pictures of replaced caliper kit?

If, it is indeed for both front wheels, then price sounds cheap. About five years ago, caliper set was replaced on my WagonR, the mrp quoted was 1445/- each in the bill. MASS changed it for free under EW. I guess, EW policy should be similar for other manufacturers too. Off-course, my wagon-r is a low mileage, probably it did just about 25k or so 5 years ago.

EDIT: @adc- I just checked my Safari EW booklet. I did find the brake calipers mentioned in the list of covered parts. Pls check your warranty manual.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 5th February 2010 at 20:06.
Old 5th February 2010, 20:31   #1764
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Is it increased engine oil consumption or increased fuel consumption with a clogged air filter?
Engine oil consumption is also increased due to clogged air filter. And the engine oil consumption also went up for in my situation.

Quote:
Restricted Air Intake Excessive restriction in the air intake system will increase engine vacuum and can increase oil consumption

Source: Top 40 Reasons for Motor oil Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Can you post the pictures of replaced caliper kit?
ago.

EDIT: @adc- I just checked my Safari EW booklet. I did find the brake calipers mentioned in the list of covered parts. Pls check your warranty manual.

-BJ
BJ dont have the pictures of the caliper kit . Calipers are covered under warranty as seen in Suman's post and also confirmed in EW booklet. It is the caliper kit that they are talking about and that is not under warranty. But looking at what jav posted regarding the parts of a calliper kit- it looks like they are consumables" - any strong argument why caliper kit should also be part of the EW - just like calipers themselves are covered by EW.
Old 5th February 2010, 21:47   #1765
BHPian

Hi all,

I recently purchased a GX 4x4 and not quite hapy with the vehicle except the missing third row seating. i would very much appreciate a third row seating. can any of you please help me in ability to install a third row seat.

is it possible by any means and if yes the estimated expenditure? i think the toyota fortuner type third row seat may be possible to install with a bit of mods.

please help !!!
Old 5th February 2010, 21:58   #1766
jav
BHPian

Caliper kit are consumables and afaik not covered under warranty just like brake pads etc, its the whole caliper which is covered as mentioned above. The next time i replace my caliper & brake cylinder kits i will surely post pics along with instruction on how to diy for anyone who may be interested in replacing it themselves
Old 5th February 2010, 22:27   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit.co.in View Post
...not quite hapy with the vehicle except the missing third row seating...
that means, you are happy actually, that third row seat is missing?

I think, Pavan Kadam had started the project for creating 3rd row seating in his safari. He may be able to help you. Search around for his thread.

-BJ
Old 6th February 2010, 21:08   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit.co.in View Post
Hi all,

I recently purchased a GX 4x4 and not quite hapy with the vehicle except the missing third row seating. i would very much appreciate a third row seating. can any of you please help me in ability to install a third row seat.

is it possible by any means and if yes the estimated expenditure? i think the toyota fortuner type third row seat may be possible to install with a bit of mods.

please help !!!

Hey i am so sorry for that.
Its an error i had overlooked.
Actually, I am quite happy with the vehicle except for the missing third row seating.

bj96 could you please give me the link to the thread if you happen to come across. i am looking meanwhile.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:57   #1769
Team-BHP Support

Weird rythmic sound.. Frequency depends on engine speed

Off late, I hear a strange sound from the safari, esp when she's cold. I suspect some belt, but its not like the typical chick chick sound which comes from the indica and small car belts.
The sound is more like a whistly hiss. Imagine you are trying to whistle, but instead of the whistle its slight airy sound instead of proper whistle.
and it goes like sss....sss....sss.....ssss
Depending upon your engine speed its frequency changes.
Mostly its heard on cold engine, and even then its faint. On warm engine it can be occaisonally heard.
But somehow it sounds like some polythene paper has gotten stuck to a belt and is repeatedly touching something as the pully rotates, but visual inspection of the belts did not reveal anything.
The sound is faint, so in a workshop its impossible to hear it with so much ambient noise, however, when driving with a wall next the road, its audible.

Any tips? I am worried that a belt may be about to give away or something.
Old 9th February 2010, 00:32   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am worried that a belt may be about to give away or something.
Get the belt changed - peace of mind!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks