Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 12:40   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys
The battery in my safari conked off a couple of days back.
Surprisingly it was immediately the next day after I got it serviced!!!
I have had the vehicle for 2 years and 2 1/2 months! Isn't that a short time for the battery or its like this for diesels.
I remember the battery in my Accent lasting for 4 years before I got it replaced!!!

Currently I am running it with the battery from my jeep's but have to replace it!

What model amperage should I go in for???

Last edited by harjeev : 25th January 2010 at 12:41.
Old 25th January 2010, 12:57   #1712
Senior - BHPian

Got the vehicle checked at SC, it was not oil leaking rather it was diesel leaking from the pump. I was shocked to hear that becuz the diesel leaking was really 100-200gms on every morning(below the car).
The SC quoted 1000rs for pump repair, but i took the vehicle without being repaired and now will go to local mechanic for some jugaad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
Have you been able to lolcate where the leak is coming from? Is it engine oil or gear box oil or differential oil? Or is it oil from brake or clutch cylinders?
What colour is the oil?
Old 25th January 2010, 13:20   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
A problem appeared in my Safari from last few days

"The oil is leaking from somewhere below the engine when i checked it the whole diffrential(or gearbox or what that big thing is that connects the differential rod with engine) was full of oil, now can any body help me in sorting out what actually the problem is??"

Yours is a TCIC Safari. Is it not ?
The 486DL engine which did / does service in the Sumo, Sierra, Estate and the TCIC Safari was known for the engine (crank shaft) oil seal failure / leakage. This oil seal can only be accessed by taking off the gearbox.

You will have to ramp up the vehicle and look closely to check up the point of leakage / seepage. Chances are that the oil seal has failed.

The Oil seal costs Rs. 50 (as far as I can remember) the labour charges are much more (owing to the gear box removal).
Old 25th January 2010, 13:39   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Yes, mine is a TCIC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Yours is a TCIC Safari. Is it not ?
The 486DL engine which did / does service in the Sumo, Sierra, Estate and the TCIC Safari was known for the engine (crank shaft) oil seal failure / leakage. This oil seal can only be accessed by taking off the gearbox.

You will have to ramp up the vehicle and look closely to check up the point of leakage / seepage. Chances are that the oil seal has failed.

The Oil seal costs Rs. 50 (as far as I can remember) the labour charges are much more (owing to the gear box removal).
Sorry, but i got the vehicle inspected today at SC and they told me about the problem. It was not oil leakage, rather it was a diesel leakage from the pump. and the qty. is 100-200gms every morning below the vehicle, they quoted 100rs including labour . but i prefered showing the vehicle to a local pump shop and then taking decision.

Last edited by mercedised : 25th January 2010 at 13:41.
Old 25th January 2010, 14:35   #1715
BHPian

Noise at cold start

Pundits,

Your views please! As seen off late in the cold that we in North India have been facing, my Safari kind off gives a noise at cold start. The noise is more like that of a cricket at night. Once the car warms up, there is no more noise.
Also, if there the RPM rises above 2500 on the 2nd gear (or 1st) , there is a shrieking sound from the engine (bay) as if some metal rotor has touched another metal part.

I've shown the TASS at Gurgaon, and they checked the fan belt for tension, etc, but there is no respite.

Kindly advise.
Old 25th January 2010, 21:48   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Off late I notice that the a/c vents become warm sometimes on its own, i mean without even switching on the a/c or heater. The area where the left leg touches the lower dashboard also becomes warm. Any pointers ?
Old 25th January 2010, 21:53   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
Pundits,

The noise is more like that of a cricket at night. Once the car warms up, there is no more noise.
Also, if there the RPM rises above 2500 on the 2nd gear (or 1st) , there is a shrieking sound from the engine (bay) as if some metal rotor has touched another metal part.
Mostly its a camshaft noise and the HLA's once the pressure of oil is stabilized, the noise shudn't be there.

As far as Shrieking noise, it may be the bearings of the pulley.

Are you sure that oil level is in good condition and upto mark ?
Old 25th January 2010, 21:59   #1718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
Pundits,

Your views please! As seen off late in the cold that we in North India have been facing, my Safari kind off gives a noise at cold start. The noise is more like that of a cricket at night. Once the car warms up, there is no more noise.

I've shown the TASS at Gurgaon, and they checked the fan belt for tension, etc, but there is no respite.

Kindly advise.
Even I get that noise. Its belt noise, and it comes and goes, I do not think there is a solution.
On a side not the hand primer started leaking diesel. Cost = 4000rs, and as expected, its not covered under warranty.
This thing eats money. I am scared of going to TASCs now!
Old 25th January 2010, 22:33   #1719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
...a/c vents become warm sometimes on its own...The area where the left leg touches the lower dashboard also becomes warm.
could be air deflector vanes mechanism faulty- leaving gap for the warm air off the engine to enter inside. In my case a "relay" was missing from factory due to which motor to close/open vanes would not work. This resulted in slight gap in closed position allowing outside (smelly) air to seep into the cabin. Fixed by TASS w/o much ado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even I get that noise. Its belt noise, and it comes and goes, I do not think there is a solution.
Wear a helmet . My Bullet is a cacophone, produces all sorts of clatter depending how hot or cold she is. I simply put on a full face helmet. Four years, ~13000 kms- she is chugging along w/o any issues. I know, probably some valve job will calm her down- but, IMO, not worth the trouble. Guys take it easy- it is a machine after all and some machines work that way.

-BJ

PS: happy republic day

Last edited by bj96 : 25th January 2010 at 22:44.
Old 25th January 2010, 23:04   #1720
BHPian

i have a problem with the brakes of my dicor,well what happens is that sometimes while braking to come to a slow stop I feel a sound with a very very light vibration kind of when i apply the brakes gradually,this problems happens not many times is this problem something to worry about?
Old 26th January 2010, 18:30   #1721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am scared of going to TASCs now!
Why not search a Tata Spare dealer and FNG may be yo can go to same place as GD1418 for out of warranty jobs.

Bangalore folks do you know any Tata spare parts dealer or third party garage where one can buy spares ? I know A.S.S sells parts OTC but there is difference in cost and I think jobs such as air filter change voluntary intermediate oil change ( need Oil filter) etc. are best done outside.

Today I checked my airfilter it is dark grey in color and tapping against wall did not make much difference. The red band has not appeared . Also in the Air box I noticed some sand particles so I think a filter change is reqired.
Old 26th January 2010, 20:02   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
i have a problem with the brakes of my dicor,well what happens is that sometimes while braking to come to a slow stop I feel a sound with a very very light vibration kind of when i apply the brakes gradually,this problems happens not many times is this problem something to worry about?
What's the odo read? When was the tyre alignment/rotation done ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Today I checked my airfilter it is dark grey in color and tapping against wall did not make much difference. The red band has not appeared . Also in the Air box I noticed some sand particles so I think a filter change is reqired.
You need to get it cleaned using pressurized air. Take it to a tyrewalla and ask him .
Old 26th January 2010, 20:07   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
What's the odo read? When was the tyre alignment/rotation done ?
Well the odo reading is 3600 km,had just done the first service almost a month back so what is the problem?
Old 26th January 2010, 20:14   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
You need to get it cleaned using pressurized air. Take it to a tyrewalla and ask him .
JK the sand particles were in Air box below the filter I think it is torn somewhere
Old 26th January 2010, 21:08   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Yes, mine is a TCIC.

Sorry, but i got the vehicle inspected today at SC and they told me about the problem. It was not oil leakage, rather it was a diesel leakage from the pump. and the qty. is 100-200gms every morning below the vehicle, they quoted 100rs including labour . but i prefered showing the vehicle to a local pump shop and then taking decision.
I had the same issue, diesel was leaking from the pump only in the morning. But Concorde Motor did a fuel pump servicing and charged Rs. 10k (approx.).

Diesel was leaking from the return pipe in my car. Is it the same problem in your car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks