Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 19:08   #1696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Hello all,

My truck now has done somewhere around 14.5k and is due for its service at 15k. However, I felt that there's a small problem that I am facing for the past 2 weeks: Sometimes, at around 1200-1400 rpm in second and third gear, it feels as the truck faces a small hiccup (Kind of breathlessness) after which it revs easily. Has anybody faced this problem? Is this a problem anyways? I think so because I see this issue even after 2 hrs of driving.

Tejas
I can tell you a quick fix for this, but then more than some of the Safari's are facing this breathlessness and I would advise you to raise a formal complaint with T.A.S.S CS and let them involve Delphi if they want to, during my visits for service I have noticed many with the same complaint and delphi working on them.

Please raise a CS complaint (you are aware of the procedure ) for the benefit of everyone.

But before you do, ensure:

- You have a detailed description of the problem.
- Can demonstrate the problem by replicating those driving conditions, all the time.
- Are using Normal diesel

Last edited by dadu : 19th January 2010 at 19:10.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:13   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I can tell you a quick fix for this, but then more than some of the Safari's are facing this breathlessness and I would advise you to raise a formal complaint with T.A.S.S CS and let them involve Delphi if they want to, during my visits for service I have noticed many with the same complaint and delphi working on them.

Please raise a CS complaint (you are aware of the procedure ) for the benefit of everyone.
Please tell the quickfix also as my Safari 3.0 has been facing the exactly same issue on and off for quite sometime.

and now i dont stay in india so nobody is there to pursue this with TASS. though i have told my brother who uses the truck ocassionally to lookout for this problem.maybe when i visit india in march, i will get TASS to rectify it.

much appreciated.

thanks
Old 19th January 2010, 21:31   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Can demonstrate the problem by replicating those driving conditions, all the time.
Moi too facing the same issue. But as per manual.. revving up the engine 3-4times approx 3.5k rpm daily keeps the soot away and the issue goes away for couple of days and returns back. If not then Bg244 every 15k kms may help.

Dadu: Mind sharing what deplhi does and if all the prob goes away, if you know

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 19th January 2010 at 21:33. Reason: Spell Check
Old 20th January 2010, 10:13   #1699
Team-BHP Support

Delphi does something called injector coding or something.
Some codes have to be loaded onto ECU which have to be in sync with injector codes. Infact, anytime injectors are replaced this "retuning" or whatever is done.
Reason for this is that all injectors will be different(though within tolerance parameters). So ECU has to know exactly what injector is there.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:29   #1700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Please tell the quickfix also as my Safari 3.0 has been facing the exactly same issue on and off for quite sometime.

and now i dont stay in india so nobody is there to pursue this with TASS. though i have told my brother who uses the truck ocassionally to lookout for this problem.maybe when i visit india in march, i will get TASS to rectify it.

much appreciated.

thanks
Try System D first for 2 tankfull @1ml/ltr as its a mild cleaner, if not try BG Diesel Care (part no 229) else BG244. I would anyday recommend going from milder to stronger cleaning additives, if the previous one didnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Moi too facing the same issue. But as per manual.. revving up the engine 3-4times approx 3.5k rpm daily keeps the soot away and the issue goes away for couple of days and returns back. If not then Bg244 every 15k kms may help.

Dadu: Mind sharing what deplhi does and if all the prob goes away, if you know
Yes, but the revving is very short term solution infact its not a solution unless you are driving on the highway every month.

Its the carbon that you want to get rid-of and driving in primarily city traffic you cannot. The injector sync mentioned by tanveer is done primarliy after a replacement of injector.

Delphi will first measure the amount of diesel returning back in to the Fuel line from the injector, they will attach small bottles with premarked measurements connected to the return line from the injectors, run the engine for 5 min and check how much of diesel got collected into the bottles. This gives them an indication of the injectors performance and helps them decide if it needs replacement etc.

Philosophy: If the injector is allowing as much fuel to pass through as it was designed for, the return will also be at pre-determined levels. If its more, injector is clogged or not performing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Delphi does something called injector coding or something.
Some codes have to be loaded onto ECU which have to be in sync with injector codes. Infact, anytime injectors are replaced this "retuning" or whatever is done.
Reason for this is that all injectors will be different(though within tolerance parameters). So ECU has to know exactly what injector is there.

Last edited by dadu : 20th January 2010 at 11:32.
Old 20th January 2010, 13:24   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the injector is allowing as much fuel to pass through as it was designed for, the return will also be at pre-determined levels. If its more, injector is clogged or not performing.
So the root cause of this issue is blocked/malfunctioning injector(s), right?
Old 20th January 2010, 13:36   #1702
BHPian

Quote:

Dadu,

Thanks for the response. I will raise a CS complaint ASAP.

- I have the description of the problem.
- I can't demonstrate it all the times but yes, few a times I can.
- I have been using Normal diesel all the time.

Should I try the additives as well before going to them?
Old 20th January 2010, 14:27   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dadu - Does this involve somethnig other than sending an e-mail to customercare@tatamotors.com? Of course, you can always drive in to a TASS.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:57   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
So the root cause of this issue is blocked/malfunctioning injector(s), right?
Root cause is carbon buildup, it can also be due to adulterated fuel but if the additive cleanup doesnt resolve it, then it could be mechanical too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Dadu,

Thanks for the response. I will raise a CS complaint ASAP.

- I have the description of the problem.
- I can't demonstrate it all the times but yes, few a times I can.
- I have been using Normal diesel all the time.

Should I try the additives as well before going to them?
No, please dont add additives before going to them, how will you demonstrate it then ???, if they dont see it, they will assume no issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Dadu - Does this involve somethnig other than sending an e-mail to customercare@tatamotors.com? Of course, you can always drive in to a TASS.
Yes it starts with it . Dont drive to TASS directly as they will not involve "TATA CS" and try diagnosing themselves and few checks here and there and you have your vehicle back without a permanent solution.

Last edited by dadu : 20th January 2010 at 15:59.
Old 20th January 2010, 16:04   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
No, please dont add additives before going to them, how will you demonstrate it then ???, if they dont see it, they will assume no issue.
I meant as in driving with the additives for a few kms and the report to the TASS if it persists .

Anyways, I think that since my 15k service is pending, I will go to the TASS with the problem so that it is rectified then and there itself.
Old 20th January 2010, 19:56   #1706
Senior - BHPian

My Feedback On System - D

I tried system D for the first time. I think its nothing but trash in a bottle. The Safari was driving rough for the entire tankfull and was even a tad noisier. I didnt enjoy the drive at all. The bottle was purchased from the TASS itself.

I have always been using normal diesel always and the vehicle always performed better without the tonic. I feel system D is nothing but a total waste of money.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 20th January 2010, 20:21   #1707
Distinguished - BHPian

@jay:

I totally agree with you on this. Many of these additives are scams. They may not harm your engine but they don't really help much. These maybe useful for engines that have run lakhs of kms but generally not needed for new engines. Stick to a good gas station and put the bare minimum needed if you are forced to fill in a shady station.

Mahindra and Tata will be testing these engines for lakhs of kilometers without any of these additives. This is why they don't recommend using any additives. Dealerships will sell anything including goat milk to make some extra cash.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:53   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I tried system D for the first time. I think its nothing but trash in a bottle. The Safari was driving rough for the entire tankfull and was even a tad noisier. I didnt enjoy the drive at all. The bottle was purchased from the TASS itself.

I have always been using normal diesel always and the vehicle always performed better without the tonic. I feel system D is nothing but a total waste of money.

Cheers,

Jay
The reason that you see a coarser engine itself expalins that it works, but should not be used at each and every fill. Once you stop using it engine will settle down after 2-3 tankfills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Mahindra and Tata will be testing these engines for lakhs of kilometers without any of these additives. This is why they don't recommend using any additives. Dealerships will sell anything including goat milk to make some extra cash.
Perhaps you have missed reading the official statement of TATA on this. They recommend using it (in some cases, on need basis only).

Last edited by dadu : 21st January 2010 at 12:56.
Old 24th January 2010, 21:45   #1709
Senior - BHPian

A problem appeared in my Safari from last few days

"The oil is leaking from somewhere below the engine when i checked it the whole diffrential(or gearbox or what that big thing is that connects the differential rod with engine) was full of oil, now can any body help me in sorting out what actually the problem is??"
Old 25th January 2010, 09:31   #1710
BHPian

Have you been able to lolcate where the leak is coming from? Is it engine oil or gear box oil or differential oil? Or is it oil from brake or clutch cylinders?
What colour is the oil?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks