Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 13:04   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
The reason am asking is due to the theft of my Sierra spare wheel which has the same mount design. It was locked with a Godrej 6 lever lock and vehicle parked in front of a hospital at Ulsoor in BLR, just for one night when my son was admitted. There was no trace of the wheel nor the lock. It was a neat job that there was no metal dust or any sign of struggle to remove the wheel. I lost a brand new 6.0J wheel and new tyre.

After this experience I do not keep the spare wheel on the vehicle, it gets mounted only for long drives.

My new 2.2 VTT is expected next week. I request current owners to post their ideas.

Thank,
Viju
You can have 2 locks, one as provided after the nut and second a cable lock(like used in cycles) going through the wheel rim and the mounting frame on the door. Just ensure that the cable lock is with the pvc tube cover and does not touch the door, as it will eat into the paint then.

Name:  20070501securitycable.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  9.3 KB

If you can find a parking space like BJ, nothing like it

Protecting the Rear wheel cover is a bigger challenge though specially with the ones being delivered now, as the zipper pulls of the ones being delivered now are of plastic and easily breakable. I would suggest that you goto a bag repairer and ask him to change those to metal with the loops for lock, that way it will be more securer than OEM supplied one.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-lockingzipper.jpg

Last edited by dadu : 19th December 2009 at 13:10.
Old 20th December 2009, 09:02   #1637
BHPian

Help required

My Safari EX 4x4 PW is waiting for delivery by Monday, 21st Dec. I did check the vehicle on Friday, 18th at the yard of Concorde on Hosur Rd.

A few things came to my notice.

The vehicle appears to have been made in Sept (yes I referred the 'VIN' thread) and delivered in BLR on 16th Dec (according to Concorde staff). The odo reads 50kms. Polythene seat covers are in place, except the driver side head rest cover, which is missing. Cover for handbrake lever has been removed and has been operated with dusty hands.

After seeing the vehicle it is hard for me to believe that it is a vehicle arrived from factory two days back.

1. Many places on the gear lever boot is damaged as if it has hit the edges of the rim due to excessive force applied while shifting gears. But on a vehicle that has done only 50kms, I cannot digest any explanation. It will be changed in PDI. I hope it does.

2. There is a lot of dust and dirt on a floor carpet - driver side and right side rear. Sales exec says it shall be cleaned thoroughly. I have seen the mud/dust shower all Concorde Safaris in stock go through, therefore reluctantly accept.

3. The front grill mounting is broken at the left side mounting point on the cross frame of engine bay on left side. Sales exec says it can be changed. In the absence of any impact marks anywhere in the front, I tend to agree with him that it must have been a case of overtightened bolt.

4. On inspecting the underside I see mud (thick mud, not murky water) splashed. The explanation from the sales exec is that may be 4x4 was tested at factory. I am clue less.

5. Next I see the shield for the transfer case adjacent to gear box slightly bent. As if someone tried to see the side of the gear box by pulling down the curved edge of the shield. It appeared to be engineering plastic not metal to my eyes. It also had thick foam padding inside.

If this shield is viewed from front of vehicle, behind the front right axle one can see the sagging of the sheild. The shield is not loose, it stands firm, but in bent condition, reducing GC in my opinion. Sales exec says, it will be inspected in PDI and changed if necessary. I think for a while and agree to pay the remaining amount and go ahead.

I request members to comment on #5, especially owners of 4x4. The vehicle delivery is expected on Monday (Concorde expects cheques given to them on Fri to be credited in their accounts only by Tue is another story). Based on inputs from Sales supervisor and sales exec I have written emails to GM and president of Concorde, two days since, no replies. Also forwarded the same mail to customer care at TM.

Now my worry is that if nothing has been done to the sheild at the time of delivery and they say "we'll see it later or run with it for some time or we'll do the needful at first service". After Monday, it is kind of difficult to run around with matters on vehicle delivery due to work and personal reasons.

During my decision making, inputs from Tanveer, Suresh and ADC helped. Their timely responses to PMs helped me immensely. But I didn't imagine I'll have to post for help from entire community before I even get the vehicle.

Regards,
Viju

PS. Request to mods: I felt this is the appropriate thread for highlighting my issues, if you feel otherwise please move to another more suitable thread. Thanks.

Last edited by vijuvarghese : 20th December 2009 at 09:04. Reason: Want to add request to mods
Old 20th December 2009, 09:48   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Why would you want to accept these for a new vehicle, agreed everythng that you mentioned can be changed/ repaired but its a *new* vehicle.

I can understand the butterflies in your stomach, but would strongly suggest a different piece, no matter if you have to wait even more or check with their new dealer KHT motors if they have something in stock.

It gives you peace of mind for the life of the vehicle if nothing else, otherwise for every niggle you would thnk back and say, "if I have not taken this one".
Old 20th December 2009, 13:24   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Why would you want to accept these for a new vehicle, agreed everythng that you mentioned can be changed/ repaired but its a *new* vehicle
Quote:
5. Next I see the shield for the transfer case adjacent to gear box slightly bent. ...
I request members to comment on #5, especially owners of 4x4
Agree with Dadu. Why should one accept this on a new vehicle- especially after already noticing this.

My truck too came with about 50 kms on odo, but, I don't have any such aberration on transfer case. I had gear changer boot leather grommet torn (and replaced) twice after driving for about 2000kms or so. This was finally set alright by replacing the faulty gear changer rod which was slightly out of shape, hence, stressing the leather grommet while changing gears.

Considering 4x4 are produced on order, a September 4x4 still lying around for sale, points me to think either it is a cancellation piece or there was some problem which was set right in the due course. If possible, demand to check the date of "sale certificate" between TML and the dealer- this certificate is not for customers, but, it goes to RTO (I guess) and dealer has to retain a copy with themselves for VAT record etc. This date will not lie.

-BJ
Old 20th December 2009, 13:35   #1640
Team-BHP Support

Stay away. Note down VIN and chasis number, and do not accept this vehicle.
Its clearly concorde trying to take you for a ride with a damaged vehicle.
Old 20th December 2009, 14:41   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Safari EX 4x4 PW is waiting for delivery by Monday, 21st Dec. I did check the vehicle on Friday, 18th at the yard of Concorde on Hosur Rd.
Viju - Congratulations on buying yourself a 4x4 Safari. I was at Concorde workshop on 16th for the first service of my Safari and did see your Safari being washed in the workshop and driven to the stockyard. Being a 4x4, it caught my eye since mine is a 4x4 too.

I know exactly what you feel since I was in a similar situation around a month back. Me too went for an inspection of my Safari as soon as it arrvied from the plant and did find some 'visual' issues, all minor niggles similar to what you have mentioned, all of them being taken care of during PDI.

At the outset, I do not see any of the issues mentioned by you as major/showstoppers! My Safari was a July manufactured one and dispatched from TML Pune in October. 2-3 months of shelf life is normal for 4x4's as they are not fast moving, as opposed to 2WDs. I have had lengthy discussions with TML guys on this. Moreover, Safaris are stocked indoors at the plant and are not exposed to dust/sun months on, so no worries on that front.

Also, any vehicle when delivered from plant is not in a very presentable condition. This held good for my Safari as well as my Alto, which I bought earlier this year. Typically, manufacturers do not 'deck-up' the vehicle before sending it across to the dealer, concentating more on the functional aspects and making sure that technically/mechanically the vehicle is sound. This is under the assumption that the dealer would be doing the 'making the vehicle presentable' bit, both internally as well as externally.

If you see, it is off late that the customers like us are becoming conscious thanks to forums like TBHP, and checking the vehicle out as soon as it arrvies at the stockyard. Typically, we would get to see the vehicle once it arrives at the showroom, after the PDI and by then, most of the 'visual' issues have been taken care of.

My recommendation - do not read too much b/w the lines. The 'physical' aspects can be taken care of, more important is how the vehicle drives/handles, etc. No compromise on that front. Having said that, please do insist on getting all the tangible issues (I would call them niggles) rectified before taking delivery.

Please PM me if you still have doubts/apprehensions. You may still choose to ask them for a new one - your decision at the end of the day

Hope this helps. Enjoy your beast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Considering 4x4 are produced on order, a September 4x4 still lying around for sale, points me to think either it is a cancellation piece or there was some problem which was set right in the due course.
-BJ
Not necessarily - 4x4's are also produced based on projections. When I ordered mine, there were 4 cycus-grey 4x4s available with TML.

Last edited by Dippy : 21st December 2009 at 16:37. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 20th December 2009, 15:32   #1642
BHPian

Thanks for prompt replies from
dadu, bj96, tsk1979 and cool_dube.

The sales at Concorde has assured me to show proof that the vehicle arrived on 15/16 th.

They also assured to get the gear lever boot, front grill and transfer case protection sheet replaced.

Considering that dirt in interiors is an integral part of vehicles handled by dealers like Concorde and that there are no other signs of abuse (atleast visible to me), I am thinking about taking delivery if all things are addressed before delivery. The competition in BLR does not seem to be professional nor straight forward in their dealings. KHT is yet to start ops.

This is indeed not a happy predicament. But appears to be part of owning a Safari!
Old 21st December 2009, 13:28   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The competition in BLR does not seem to be professional nor straight forward in their dealings. KHT is yet to start ops.

This is indeed not a happy predicament. But appears to be part of owning a Safari!
Congrats on your King and if you have not done full payment to Concorde go with the KHT as they have started the operations and the ADS are coming up in newspapers.

If you need any help at KHT let me know a close friend of mine is incharge in KHT Service dept.
Old 24th December 2009, 08:37   #1644
BHPian

Safari comes home

Thanks everyone for providing all help. I have accepted delivery on 21st, Dec. There were delays in everything at Concorde and it was almost 9PM when we left from there. Have posted two pictures in the Safari group thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1649088

For all PDI issues, there was response from regional office and the regional manager in charge and will be looking into any pending issues. So much for comfort, TM listens to customer complaints.

On the delivery date and till now I haven't had any mechanical issues. Odo reads 220kms now. After driving the Sierra, VTT runs like a dream. All controls feel gentle!

I shall be posting an initial ownership thread very soon that I am planning a drive to Kerala for X'mas.
Old 24th December 2009, 08:54   #1645
BHPian

Running-in, query

What shall be the recommendation from members for RPM and speeds for each gear during running-in?

The manual does not seem to mention RPM, except it says 'no sudden acceleration'. The recommended speeds per manual for upshift seems to be high - feels like the engine is put to stress.

Please comment.
Old 24th December 2009, 09:21   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
What shall be the recommendation from members for RPM and speeds for each gear during running-in?
Hi, congrats on your purchase! Think it good to change gears at 1700-1800rpm during running-in kms. Experts please concur.
Old 24th December 2009, 19:06   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have accepted delivery on 21st, Dec. Have posted two pictures in the Safari group thread
Congrats Viju - great color. I noted that you still do not have a registration no. plate - why is that?

Quote:
The manual does not seem to mention RPM, except it says 'no sudden acceleration'. The recommended speeds per manual for upshift seems to be high - feels like the engine is put to stress.
Gear shift speeds as given in the manual are good enough, follow them. Don't worry, diesel engines do not get stressed that easily BTW, I did not cross 2,500 RPM during the first 1,000 kms of running. Will stick to the same till the run-in period (1,800 kms per the manual) is over.
Old 24th December 2009, 19:12   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
...change gears at 1700-1800rpm during running-in kms.
1700-1800 might lug the engine. Shift between 18-2000 rpm. Crux is to be gentle with pedal and stick and vary speed and follow >30s idling before/after first/last start/stop in the day.
Congrats and all the best.
-BJ
ps: posted from mobile

Last edited by bj96 : 24th December 2009 at 19:16. Reason: Vary speed
Old 24th December 2009, 23:31   #1649
BHPian

So yesterday got my safari serviced. This time I got petronas urania supremo CI4. engine turns out to be a bit silent now. The service advisor did me a favor by allowing me to use my own engine oil. He also got an entry into the bill saying engine oil (provided by customer with effective cost 0). He did so because this will prove the engine oil change done in case of any warranty claims
Old 28th December 2009, 08:45   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Congrats Viju - great color. I noted that you still do not have a registration no. plate - why is that?

Gear shift speeds as given in the manual are good enough, follow them. Don't worry, diesel engines do not get stressed that easily BTW, I did not cross 2,500 RPM during the first 1,000 kms of running. Will stick to the same till the run-in period (1,800 kms per the manual) is over.
I did only temporary registration, for the reason that I can try to obtain a reasonably good reg number - not VIP, which costs huge money. So the reg number is on the windshield, now made a sticker thinking that it has to last almost a month. As a fringe benefit I also get a 2010 registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
1700-1800 might lug the engine. Shift between 18-2000 rpm. Crux is to be gentle with pedal and stick and vary speed and follow >30s idling before/after first/last start/stop in the day.
Congrats and all the best.
-BJ
ps: posted from mobile
Thanks dkamath, cool_dube and bj96 for answers.

By yesterday night when I completed my long drive, have done 1650+ kms. Have to do the first service in a few days time.

For the first 1000kms I did not cross 2500 rpm, around 800km or so engine became smoother in running and the sound became less coarse. There was a slight hesitation to engage 1st while downshifting at ~10km/hr, which also disappeared after 800kms.

After 1000 kms I touched 2800 rpm, but speed did not cross 110-115 in fifth.

Last edited by vijuvarghese : 28th December 2009 at 08:47. Reason: typo

Most Viewed