Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 12:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Check Engine Light

I have an Indigo Marina Dicor, Aug 2007. Last night while driving the car I noticed that the "Check Engine Light" came on and then switched off after about a minute or so. So I once again switched off the engine and then put in the switch. All the lights glowed and when I started the engine again all the lights that need to go off went off but after about 20 sec the " Check Engine Light" once again came on and stayed for a minute or so.
Today morning when i started the car everyhting worked fine and the light didnot come on again. What could be the problem? Should I go to the TASS and show it immediately or wait and see if it comes on again?
Please help.
Old 16th July 2008, 12:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

It would have generated a DTC, so better to get it checked. They will take 10 min to know the DTC and the associated problem.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2008, 12:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my ignorance but what is a DTC?
Old 16th July 2008, 12:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Read the first half of this thread only for the basics.

DTC: Diagnostic Trouble Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is a DTC?
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2008, 15:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I have an Indigo Marina Dicor, Aug 2007. Last night while driving the car I noticed that the "Check Engine Light" came on and then switched off after about a minute or so. So I once again switched off the engine and then put in the switch. All the lights glowed and when I started the engine again all the lights that need to go off went off but after about 20 sec the " Check Engine Light" once again came on and stayed for a minute or so.
Today morning when i started the car everyhting worked fine and the light didnot come on again. What could be the problem? Should I go to the TASS and show it immediately or wait and see if it comes on again?
Please help.

I would not worry about it unless the check engine light stays on or keeps coming on and off regularly.

If the light does stay on, you can just go to an authorized service center and hook up the vehicle to a diagnostic computer. The error codes are stored, so even if the check engine light is not on at that particular time, they should be able to retrieve the code.

But call ahead and make sure that the service center has a computer!
Old 16th July 2008, 16:30   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Please help.

Pls check your coolant level, This happened to me once, when i was driving an Indica.
Old 2nd August 2008, 23:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

I went to the TASS. they hooked it up and found no error codes. How strange is it? They say its absolutely fine.The light has not come on even once since those two times within an interval of 10 minutes.
@Pavan: But shouldn't the light stay on and atleast glow again when the vehicle is started in case its the coolant level? But anyway I will check it up tomorrow.
Old 25th August 2008, 14:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

On 14th I had to drive through a lot of water pools and as I tried to dry out the brakes in the traditional way (of gently accelerating and keeping a light foot on the brakes simultaneously) the check engine light came on again twice and not at all after that. I checked it came on again when I tried the same thing otherwise it was off. Do I need to take it to the TASS to get it checked?
Old 7th August 2012, 16:27   #9

Check Engine light on new Hyundai i20 Petrol

Hello Forum,

I have recently purchased the new Hyundai i20 2012 Petrol version in the month of May 2012. The car has done 1300kms and the first service is done, but just today while on road just got stalled and could not pick up even on 2nd gear. To my surprise it has check engine light?
Could you guys tell me if this is a serious engine problem and does the company give a replacement as I think a Check Engine light on a new Car is not good sign? Hope its not a lemon!!

Awaiting your Valuable suggestions?

Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 18:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: Check Engine light on new Hyundai i20 Petrol

Mods note: Thread moved to right section -Technical Stuff.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 19:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Do get it checked, it is very difficult to diagnose such an issue from so much of info, but yes check engine light should not be taken lightly especially if there is a power loss. Can be a sensor, coil pack failure which are not very expensive to replace. Its too premature to term it as a lemon just because of this.
Old 7th August 2012, 19:19   #12

Thanks Jaggu! I plan to take it the service centre tomorrow.
Old 8th August 2012, 13:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Check Engine Light

Yups, a check engine light with power loss in a new car is probably a sensor gone bad. Get it diagnosed, it takes about a couple of minutes. If its under warranty (which I think it should be) it will be done FOC, or you will be required to pay for cost of the sensor which ranges from 100 INR to about 5000 INR depending upon the type of sensor. Do update as to the cause once you are back from the Service Centre.
Old 8th August 2012, 15:51   #14
BHPian

Re: Check Engine Light

Some probable solutions . Experts please modify if something is incorrect

1. Can be as simple as clogged air filter . But since your car is new reason can eliminated.
2. If the car has a turbo can be a loose pipe that connects the turbo to intercooler. Check for smoke clouds from exhaust. Ignore if car does not have a turbo or a intercooler.
3. Malfunctioning O2 sensor . Check for smoke clouds from exhaust.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariewinds View Post
I have recently purchased the new Hyundai i20 2012 Petrol version in the month of May 2012. The car has done 1300kms and the first service is done, but just today while on road just got stalled and could not pick up even on 2nd gear. To my surprise it has check engine light?
Could you guys tell me if this is a serious engine problem and does the company give a replacement as I think a Check Engine light on a new Car is not good sign? Hope its not a lemon!!
We bought a used Fiesta recently and gave it to 3M for complete detailing. Well, after they washed the Engine Bay, the car showed the same symptoms. However, we dried the compartment completley with gentle air from a vaccum cleaner and reset the ECU, and the problem was solved.

If it was a one time issue, which has stored an error code in the ECU, then you can get it right by resetting the ECU. If its a sensor related issue, then plugin an OBD Reader, it will pin point the exact location/reason of the failure.

In any case it should be easily diagnosed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks