Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2014, 21:41   #106
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Yet again, the Check Engine warning message has appeared today. Only this time, the car is producing a lot of black fumes from the exhaust as well.

Do any Fiat Punto (Diesel 1.3 Multijet 90 HP) owners have any insights on what is possibly going on?
Check the air filter and the MAF sensor once. I am saying this because of the black smoke that you were noticing.

As told by DRIV3R, can you please give the DTC so that we can know what the problem is exactly?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:43   #107
BHPian

Re: Engine Check Warning on Fiat Punto

I just scanned the error through my OBD scanner & here is the report:

Quote:
Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================
Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present
Current Fault Log
------------------
P0101: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults
Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged
End of report.
The first time this error appeared, the service center said that a turbo hose was leaking, they fixed it and cleared the error. I took the car and on my way home I got it again, this time they cleared the error & replaced the MAS sensor under warranty and since then I have driven around 50 KM.

I cleared the error today & took it for a drive. It drove fine as long as I kept it below 1800 RPM (turbo range). The moment I pushed it over the 1800 RPM mark, there was a sudden jerk & loss of power and the error appeared again. I can also hear a very distinct sound if I engage the turbo, with the windows rolled down. It sounds like the "Air Spray" they use at the service center to clean the engine bay.

What do all the ECU experts think is going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Check Engine Light-screenshot.jpg  

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 2nd March 2014 at 19:52.
Old 3rd March 2014, 03:44   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Am not sure whether you have gone through this post or not. If not then please check out post number 299. It can be helpful for you. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...00-kms-20.html
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 05:12   #109
Senior - BHPian

^^ agree with Samba, it seems to be a similar issue with the service centre guys taking an easy way out. They don't want to get their hands dirty and do some hard labour for what .. 1200 bux ? They can change all the sensors but still this issue will keep coming up till they do what needs to be done, which they will not do until they have a gun to their head. IOW better to get this done from outside on the lines epicenterulez has done.
lurker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 05:39   #110
BANNED

Quote:
The moment I pushed it over the 1800 RPM mark, there was a sudden jerk & loss of power and the error appeared again. I can also hear a very distinct sound if I engage the turbo, with the windows rolled down.
If your getting the hissing sound when turbo spools up then please get the plumbing checked. May be the clamps or the pipe itself could have worn out.

Does the hissing with engine RPM? The hissing should be maximum when the turbo is at the peak boost. Does it happen?

Anurag.
Old 3rd March 2014, 08:43   #111
BHPian

Quote:
The moment I pushed it over the 1800 RPM mark, there was a sudden jerk & loss of power and the error appeared again. I can also hear a very distinct sound if I engage the turbo, with the windows rolled down. It sounds like the "Air Spray" they use at the service center to clean the engine bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If your getting the hissing sound when turbo spools up then please get the plumbing checked. May be the clamps or the pipe itself could have worn out.

Does the hissing with engine RPM? The hissing should be maximum when the turbo is at the peak boost. Does it happen?

Anurag.
Definetely there is a leak some where in the turbo hose lines. Please get it checked at FASS. Generally if there is a leak in the plumbing, there should be thick black smoke from the exhaust on acceleration.
nkg77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:13   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Definetely there is a leak some where in the turbo hose lines. Please get it checked at FASS. Generally if there is a leak in the plumbing, there should be thick black smoke from the exhaust on acceleration.
Yup buddy, the plumbing line is what I doubt. I advise him to get it checked at a FNG rather than FASS if the car is not under warranty.

Anurag.
Old 3rd March 2014, 19:03   #113
BHPian

What is FNG? the car is under warranty. I called up the service center and have parked the car, using my bike for a few days till I can find the time to take the car there.
Old 3rd March 2014, 19:09   #114
BHPian

Quote:
What is FNG? the car is under warranty. I called up the service center and have parked the car, using my bike for a few days till I can find the time to take the car there.
This has happened to my Punto twice, once it was turbo hose leak, and you can hear sound of air. Get the hose replaced, some times they just fix the leak and give it back. Another case where lose of power and check engine option came when my times belt got cut. I was driving at 80+, suddenly engine stopped, total lose of power and car halted. Most likely yours is a hose leak.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 22:13   #115
BANNED

Quote:
FNG - Friendly Neighbourhood Garage.
Is the car parked at home or at ASC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I was driving at 80+, suddenly engine stopped, total lose of power and car halted. Most likely yours is a hose leak.
Definitely jag top be the plumbing line of the Turbo. But I feel Maximum boost will not be achieved due to leak of aid and pressure.

Anurag.
Old 6th March 2014, 14:36   #116
BHPian

Re: Check Engine Light

I took it to FASS again and the Error code is the same as I diagnosed at home - P0101. The description is different and it says "Intake Manifold Air Seepage". Something called "EGR sensor" needs to be replaced. I haven't looked up what it does or why it would be damaged at 20K kms yet but here's a picture of the part that they pulled out & needs to be replaced under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Check Engine Light-20140305-18.05.21.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2014, 10:17   #117
BHPian

Engine/Emissions Warning Light glowing in my friend's Wagon-R

Good Morning All,
My friend seems to have this light glowing in his Dashboard/Instrument cluster area since today morning:

Check Engine Light-photo0055.jpg

We did search the forum and matched the symbol against the symbol# 62 from the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3201026

Details about the car:
Make - Wagon-R
Model - 2000
Odo - 72.7K
Last Service done - 70K
Type - Petrol

Please help us with your expert advice to understand what could be wrong with the car.

Many Thanks!

Last edited by vishnu-man : 3rd July 2014 at 10:46. Reason: Mentioned the right warning place
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:02   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engine/Emissions Warning Light glowing in my friend's Wagon-R

Dear Vishnu,

This is the MPFI malfunction indicator light (MIL), also called check engine light. It is there to indicate a problem with the fuel injection system of the car. This can be due to a small issue like a loose wire on a sensor to something as serious as failure of a sensor. Also, this light can be on if the speedometer is not functioning, say due to a bad speedo cable.
Your best best is to take the car to Maruti ASC and they can hook up a Tech-2 scanner to your car and trace down the problem area. Also, treat it as an emergency and avoid driving the car, except for taking it to MASS.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:13   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Dear Vishnu,

This is the MPFI malfunction indicator light (MIL), also called check engine light. It is there to indicate a problem with the fuel injection system of the car. This can be due to a small issue like a loose wire on a sensor to something as serious as failure of a sensor. Also, this light can be on if the speedometer is not functioning, say due to a bad speedo cable.
Your best best is to take the car to Maruti ASC and they can hook up a Tech-2 scanner to your car and trace down the problem area. Also, treat it as an emergency and avoid driving the car, except for taking it to MASS.

Regards,
Saket

Thanks a ton Saket!
We happened to check his Speedometer and realized that it is not working since this morning. And it so happens that the warning has started to show up at the same time. We'll take the car to the Maruti ASC for a check sooner.
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:19   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu-man View Post
Thanks a ton Saket!
We happened to check his Speedometer and realized that it is not working since this morning. And it so happens that the warning has started to show up at the same time. We'll take the car to the Maruti ASC for a check sooner.
Bingo! We have located the problem then! Get the speedo working, and this light will go away. Most likely a bad speedo cable is the culprit. The light is on due to conflicting reports to the ECU. The speed sensor is telling the ECU that the vehicle is in motion, but the speedometer says 0KMPH and the ECU is registering an error. Hope I have not confused you.

Edit: A screen shot of the relevant part of my car's manual:

Check Engine Light-mil.jpg

Last edited by saket77 : 3rd July 2014 at 11:33.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks