Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 10:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Strange problem with Air Filter K&N/Stock on Alto

hello guys,
I am observing a strange problem with my alto 800 cc with K&N stock replacement filter.
i daily travel to the office via the same route where i am able to sprint upto speeds of 100kmph mark. i race in similar fashion between two end points which happen to be two trees for reference. its a bit of upslope then a downslope.

when i put my stock filter i observe that my car reaches 80kmph mark much quickly than wit K&N filter. however with stock filter i observe that when i release the accelerator the car faces a minute jerk. i.e suppose i am at speeds of say 60 kmph on 4th gear and i release the accelerator pedal i face a jerk as if the engine has been cut on fuel /air. however when i again press the accelerator it races very fast.

on k&n filter i am not facing that minute jerk. but when i try to race i find the pick up is not as much as stock.

what is the problem with the filters? k&n is supposed to race better
Old 8th July 2008, 10:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

has this only started recently? if so check if your filter is clogged.
Old 8th July 2008, 10:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
has this only started recently? if so check if your filter is clogged.
no the filter is not clogged. its still pink. and i asked the dealer too. he said its still not due for cleaning. i dont know when this has started, its just now that out of curiosity i changed to stock filter for one day and observed this. now i keep on swapping the filters and i find the same difference.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

get the injectors cleaned as well as the throttle body faced a similar issue the problem got solved after this
Old 8th July 2008, 12:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Amit! How many KM's have you done on the odo? as manik had pointed out get the injectors and the throttle body cleaned and if am not wrong its better to get them cleaned and checked every 30k km's. Decarbonization will definitely help smoothen the ride and your problem might be rectified too, not sure but a definite checklist item.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 8th July 2008 at 12:06.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Amit! How many KM's have you done on the odo? as manik had pointed out get the injectors and the throttle body cleaned and if am not wrong its better to get them cleaned and checked every 30k km's. Decarbonization will definitely help smoothen the ride and your problem might be rectified too, not sure but a definite checklist item.
i have done just 33 k on the odo. i have done decarb, as well as i have cleaned the throttle body and injectors recently. i am not able to understand why its behaving in such a way when i change the filters. what makes my car sprint faster on stock filter rather than K&N
Old 8th July 2008, 13:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

its not the filter or the clogging problem mate, its just the more air the engine is getting!

even i have that same thing happening, with the conical kn filter the car has superb lowend revving and no jerks at all, but the car feels troubled to reach the 140 from 120 unlike with the stock its the other way around.

one good way solve it is getting a triphase module!A.K.A REMAP!

this is my experience i am sure the gurus here can comment and shed some info!
Old 8th July 2008, 13:40   #8
BANNED

When you switch the filters, do you also disconnect the battery?
Answer to this question may answer your query!
Old 8th July 2008, 13:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
its not the filter or the clogging problem mate, its just the more air the engine is getting!

even i have that same thing happening, with the conical kn filter the car has superb lowend revving and no jerks at all, but the car feels troubled to reach the 140 from 120 unlike with the stock its the other way around.

one good way solve it is getting a triphase module!A.K.A REMAP!

this is my experience i am sure the gurus here can comment and shed some info!
even if the engine is getting more air , you are trying to indicate that car is running on a leaner mixture, but the stock ecu computes the fuel quantity to be injected based on the response from the air intake sensor and the exhaust sensor. i can understand that this can happen on carburetted cars where you need to adjust the fuel flow manually.
Old 8th July 2008, 15:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Try ECU reset might make a minor diff. But your measurement method is also not very ideal, it still rely on 'feel' at the end of the day.

Proper way to test might be to mark, 100, 200, 300 mts on road and then do couple of runs with a friend sitting and recording the time. Then compare it over couple of runs with the next filter. Avoid doing this in public road with traffic.

Again replacing air filter neednt give you horse power increase which is that noticeable, though overall efficiency might improve due to such mods.
Old 8th July 2008, 23:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
even if the engine is getting more air , you are trying to indicate that car is running on a leaner mixture, but the stock ecu computes the fuel quantity to be injected based on the response from the air intake sensor and the exhaust sensor. i can understand that this can happen on carburetted cars where you need to adjust the fuel flow manually.

exactly i dont know why this happens dont ask me yet! i am too yet to find out, but this is my experience and i am sure it is the way i explained because every service till the car had warranty i used to replace the stock filter set so that they dont notice any thing new at the service center and i always made it a point to take test drives before and after the service and this what i have experienced.

and i stand by what i said!.
now i am still hoping gurus can enlighten us more!
Old 9th July 2008, 01:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
exactly i dont know why this happens dont ask me yet! i am too yet to find out, but this is my experience and i am sure it is the way i explained because every service till the car had warranty i used to replace the stock filter set so that they dont notice any thing new at the service center and i always made it a point to take test drives before and after the service and this what i have experienced.

and i stand by what i said!.
now i am still hoping gurus can enlighten us more!
I do not think Hyundai will have any problem with stock K&N filer. I bought my K&N stock replacement filter from Hyundai after sales center.

I did reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery after changing to K&N from stock. I got a marginal increase in low end torque.

I also felt that 100 to 140 timing has increased with K&N, but low end torque is great with K&N - perfect for city driving.
Old 9th July 2008, 07:21   #13

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I think your problem answers the question everybody keeps asking.K&n filters only give you a mental hp increase,nothing else,the stock filter is better than these aftermarket filters.But thats my opinion,i have faced this issue and the stock filter solved it.
Old 9th July 2008, 10:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
When you switch the filters, do you also disconnect the battery?
Answer to this question may answer your query!
Hmmmmm I was also thinking in the same line. ECU reset is it....
Old 9th July 2008, 11:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

I've got a K&N stock replacement filter on my Santro and I feel that the pickup is better compared to the stock. Have not done an ECU reset either. But the pickup, top speed et all, seem to be much better than stock. Will do a proper timed run with stock and K&N and post figures shortly. Interestingly, never faced the slight jerk with stock either. Both filters have performed well, its just that top speed seems to have increased along with a slight increase in pick up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks