Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Ok, stupid question - but if theres no gain in performance, however little; what are the other advantages of having a K&N air filter?
You want my frank opinion?
There's something called the 'feel-good' factor!
There is another equally valid something called a 'topic of conversation'!
There are some people who love to tinker. Things must go a little wrong sometimes to demand their attention and time! Perhaps some money as well. These aftermarket fittings will satisfy some or all of such 'needs'!

Finally, YOU decide what you are fitting one for! It's certainly not for a long term troublefree relationship with your machine!
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:50   #62
BHPian

Amit,
The cleaning interval they claim is no good for our country. In many part of Europe you can run it with just a bell mouth and no filter. But in India a cleaning is needed every 5K bare minimum. I do clean my Green Wind kit every 4-5K and can see lotsa dust/black particles by that time. Performance - yes I feel the performance is marginally increased. She revs a little better, and the low end is improved a little bit too.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:00   #63
Senior - BHPian

I suggest clean once in 5000km for our dusty road condition, I did the samething for my Innova K&N Stock Filter.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There are some people who love to tinker. Things must go a little wrong sometimes to demand their attention and time! Perhaps some money as well. These aftermarket fittings will satisfy some or all of such 'needs'!

Finally, YOU decide what you are fitting one for! It's certainly not for a long term troublefree relationship with your machine!
Ouch! Harsh opinion. Lol. Dont think you would have made too many K&N users too happy with THAT!!
Hmm..but ok, guessing what you say is true. But always wanted one, for what reason I dont know, guess its a need! Lol. Will have to think about it though, didnt know about the effects on the engine. Thought it was meant to be better than the stock filter.
Old 7th November 2008, 10:41   #65
Team-BHP Support

Anupji, I would have to disagree with that. Both my car's the Lancer and the Alto have the K&N stock filter.

I can vouch for the fact that the filter does not make any difference in performance. Even if it does it is just too marginal to notice.

However what it does make a difference to is driveability. I require fewer gear shifts and am able to potter around in a higher gear without the engine stuttering compared to the OE filter.

The filter does need to be cleaned every 5000-6000kms on the safe side else the performance drop when it's dirty is very prominent.

It's not just the feel good factor of spending so much and expecting some return. Incidentally that theory went out the window when the service guys removed my K&N and replaced it with a new OE filter. I realised that something was amiss and the car was not as driveable as earlier. Popped the hood and noticed that the K&N was removed and put in the boot and a new OE plonked in. Ofcourse I know the car inside out and am extremely finicky. Others may not know/feel the difference.
Old 7th November 2008, 15:29   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Ok, stupid question - but if theres no gain in performance, however little; what are the other advantages of having a K&N air filter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
LOL Anup! Okay, I gotta admit....as an owner of a car that's running K&N : There is NO noticeable difference in performance. Heck, I don't even know if the K&N makes any difference at all. And if it does, the increment is too marginal to notice.

Stock replacement filters = no difference at all. Conical filters = Slight advantage ONLY if the plumbing makes it a proper CAI. On the flip side, a conical (open air) gets dirty way more often than a stock layout. And one has to take a lot of car in the monsoons.

Why I fitted it? You gotta hear the intake sound @ 7,100 rpms.
Old 7th November 2008, 15:51   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why I fitted it? You gotta hear the intake sound @ 7,100 rpms.
So, K&Ns not really going to help FE is it? But am still considering it. You have a conical filter or a normal replacement?
Old 7th November 2008, 18:17   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Conical running in my Vtec.
Old 7th November 2008, 20:14   #69
Team-BHP Support

Replacement filter running in my old carb 96 esteem, used to give slightly free revving engine, about a km more mileage and fuel smell (similar to flooding) inside the car and yeah they also change the intake sound.
Old 7th November 2008, 23:57   #70
BHPian

Conical running on my Ikon.

FE hasn't increased noticeably. I wouldn't even say that the top whack or even the out-and-out acceleration have increased... but somehow the car seems a little more relaxed, a little less restrained when she's moving. What it has done is make the car seem a little more 'free' and 'open'. I've noticed the same thing in a friend's car when he switched to Mobil1, by the way.

Also, I don't need to rev it to 7100rpm, I can hear the rasp of the filter when I hit 4000. And frankly, unlike the GTO's Vtec, I don't think the Ford Ikon's 1.6L powerplant is free-revving enough to hit 7100. (Still a peach of an engine, though. )

Last edited by ghostrider : 8th November 2008 at 00:04.
Old 18th November 2008, 23:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hi K&N lovers (i am one of them)
here's a link which might make you think twice about your K&N

Problems with K&N Air Filter<title>Let it Breath - 3

I have taken my K&N off for a while, gone back to stock however i may go in for a precharger (filter wrap) and get the K&N back in action.

I really miss the intake sound of the engine.
Old 18th November 2008, 23:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Replacement filter running in my old carb 96 esteem, used to give slightly free revving engine, about a km more mileage and fuel smell (similar to flooding) inside the car and yeah they also change the intake sound.
Hi,
even i expericed the same problem when with the K&N.Used to give a lot smell of fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks