Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2009, 13:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
100 kmph is definitely too low on swift. different people in MASS will tell you different things to be done on the car. how much KMS have you done on the ODO? check the compression of all the cylinders. if compression in any cylinder is low then you need to do the valve setting.also check the health and gaps of the sparkplugs. i hope the airfilter is not clogged.
did they check the operation of the butterfly valve on the throttle body? make sure its not sticking anywhere and opens fully on full throttle. accelerator feeling hard is coz of butterfly valve.

Can you give a list of works done on your car.
Amit, first, thank you for helping me.

Swift Vxi petrol- Oct 2007 model, still in warranty
ODO - 17,500 kms
I am fed up of going to MASS again and again. Everytime they give me a different story.
How do you check the compression of cylinders - Can local garages do?
Sparkplugs - Yes. I will check tomorrow.
Airfilter is clean. I took it to the local garage before going to MASS. Initially I suspected this was the culprit.
Butterfly valve - Can the local garages check? I am asking this because the MASS is not ready to listen to anything I say, they have their own fairy tale.

Work in the sense, mods? my car is complete stock. Just that I have a high-end in-dash DVD player which is after market.
Old 11th January 2009, 22:40   #17
BHPian

For low rpm and speed of the swift.

Check the butterfly valve for proper opening.
Check the petrol fuel pressure generated by the fuel pump.
Last but not the least check the valve clearance.

Personally I think its the pressure from the fuel pump being insufficient or the injectors not staying open long enough which is governed by the ECU.
Old 11th January 2009, 23:04   #18
BHPian

I think data from a ecu scan should be analyzed to give a proper diagnosis. I also feel that either the injectors are chocked or the fuel pressure is low . Short fuel trim and Long fuel trim data from ecu can help in better diagnosis also look for inlet manifold vacuum leaks.
Old 12th January 2009, 10:51   #19
BHPian

The swift has hydraulic valve clearance system and no major adjustments can be made. However if needed, the valve clearance needs to be set dead cold (The car must be stationary overnight). There is no way MASS can set the correct valve clearance within a day (For accurate setting, the car needs to be with them idle for atleast 6-8hours). Also check the connections to the O2 sensor ,throttle position sensor and accelerator cable adjustment(Move the swivel by hand to see if it opens fully and then leave it to see if there is any undue slag / tightness in the cable)

Finally one thing that you may try for the sake of trying is to disconnect the battery for half an hour to reset the ecu and then reconnect the battery. May be that may work

Best Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 12th January 2009 at 10:53. Reason: Text Added
Old 12th January 2009, 15:52   #20
BHPian

Amit, Vikram, Drpullockaran, ask77 and adheesh, Thank you all for your help! I have written everything down and will take it to Mandovi tomorrow to have all these checked.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
The swift has hydraulic valve clearance system and no major adjustments can be made.
The Swift does not have a hydraulic system. It is a mechanical one and adjustment is very much possible.

@Adi - Which Mandovi branch do you take your car to?
Old 12th January 2009, 16:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
@Adi - Which Mandovi branch do you take your car to?
Vikram, it's the JP Nagar-Bannerghatta road branch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks