Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2008, 12:17   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Correcting you KishoreK its the tire size that is 155/70/R12(stock size might have been 145/80/R12) and not the Wheel which i presume is a stock wheel.
For tubeless it is better to run them on alloy wheels (13 " with 5j rims) and defnitely it would be wheel balancing problem.
Thanks Maverick, you are right, that's the tire size and again, these are stock wheels. Will look to change to Alloys some time.

On the problem, it was with Wheel balancing, thanks to all your suggestions. I've got it checked and with some weights added to wheels, the problem disappeared. Did not try beyond 70 but hopefully, car should be stable even beyond.

cheers:
KK
Old 8th July 2008, 10:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
Thanks Maverick, you are right, that's the tire size and again, these are stock wheels. Will look to change to Alloys some time.

On the problem, it was with Wheel balancing, thanks to all your suggestions. I've got it checked and with some weights added to wheels, the problem disappeared. Did not try beyond 70 but hopefully, car should be stable even beyond.

cheers:
KK
Its good KK that the problem got sorted out with wheel balancing and i suggest change the wheels to alloys (earlier the better) instead of running on stock wheels for the new upgraded tires as the overall dynamics of the vehicle will be balanced and stable. Enjoy the ride and do drive safe.

cheers:
Old 8th July 2008, 12:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Its good KK that the problem got sorted out with wheel balancing and i suggest change the wheels to alloys (earlier the better) instead of running on stock wheels for the new upgraded tires as the overall dynamics of the vehicle will be balanced and stable. Enjoy the ride and do drive safe.

There shouldn't be a problem running tubeless tyres on stock rims my friend .
Old 8th July 2008, 12:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
There shouldn't be a problem running tubeless tyres on stock rims my friend .
Thanks Riju for correcting me as i overlooked his 155/70/R12 which is again a 12" as the earlier stock tyre of 145/80/R12. Oh My bad! dont bother Kishore as again if you need alloys there is very limited range in 12" and to upgrade it to 13" again you need to change your tyres. So,disregard the earlier post suggestion.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:23   #20
BHPian

Sure. Thank you for all your suggestions.

:-)
Kishor
Old 11th August 2008, 17:31   #21
BHPian

Issue solved

Friends,

Sorry to have updated this very late.
After proper wheel balancing, the problem has gone. Actually Maruthi dealer himself requested me to get this re-checked at his place and resolved the issue.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

Regards,
Kishor
Old 27th February 2009, 17:58   #22
BHPian

Things to be checked during servicing

Hi,
My Alto LXI is nearing its second servicing. When the first one was due, I did not care much and let the service centre do its job. But during the second service I want to be more involved.

Since I am a first time owner (and driver, too), I would like some guidance on what all I should tell the service chap to check. Specifically, the following requires your inputs
1. Oil - should I change it the second time (I have done 1900 kms so far). It was changed during the first servicing
2. What brand of oil should I go for? or should I rely on the service centre brand of oil. I go to a company owned service outlet in Delhi.
3. When I leave the steering wheel, the car swerves to the left. What should I ask the guy to check?
4. While cruising at slow speeds in 2nd gear (as in when approaching a red signal), the car jerks a lot and I have to press the clutch to stop this jerking. Someone told me that this is a 'knocking' problem. Is it a car problem or am I doing something wrong? I don't think this should happen in the 2nd gear.

I have seen numerous posts in this site that are really worth saving (in fact I have a notepad with many such posts). I look forward to some help from all friends here.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:52   #23
BHPian

Alto LXI 2nd Service

Hi travelwriter,

If you are going to leave your vehicle with a MASS (which I presume you do) for your free 2nd service, I don't think you should bother about advising anything on standard activities like changing oil, etc. To my knowledge, they will do all that by default and as & when required.
Only thing you should tell them are, if there are any problems you find with your vehicle. Any other observations like pick-up, engine response, mileage or general car performance/functionality.

On your 3rd question on leaving the steering wheel - I presume, your observation is that car swerves to the left and always, you'll have to put some effort to keep the car straight, is that correct? If yes, I'd think that wheel alignment may be one thing that you need to get checked. If you also notice some vibrations while at some higher speeds, it's best to generally get the wheel balancing and alignment checked. I had the second problem for my new Alto, when I purchased.

On your 4th question, I think you'll have to be at right speed for the right gear. There is no general thing that at 2nd gear your vehicle may not give that knocking effect. Even in the 1st gear too, if you are slightly uphill (which means that you need acceleration), you may get this jerky drive. Simple thing is, either you are on higher gear than you should be, or you need to press the accelerator for moving forward. (IMHO). Personally, what I practice is that, when I'm approaching a red signal and if I have to stop, I'll simply put it in neutral, irrespective of the gear I'm in before that.

HTH,
KK
Old 5th March 2009, 13:47   #24
BHPian

Thanks KK, and sorry for the late reply post.

I have booked my service schedule at the company owned service outlet in West Delhi. I plan to get the person there to first drive the car and then have his comments.

You are right about the virbrations on high speeds. I do feel them and also hear them (shuddering noise).

One other problem that i see is the gear lever. It is not really smooth when going from 1st to 2nd or any change. I have to put some extra effort to slot it into the right place. I am a new driver maybe that is the issue. But I had my friend drive the car and he had the same comment to offer. In fact, he said that this problem is with almost all Maruti models (he owns a WagonR). I am planning to get this checked too

I hope to have a smoother ride as and when my driving skills get better

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
Hi travelwriter,

If you are going to leave your vehicle with a MASS........ irrespective of the gear I'm in before that.

HTH,
KK
Old 6th March 2009, 12:12   #25
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
One other problem that i see is the gear lever. It is not really smooth when going from 1st to 2nd or any change. I have to put some extra effort to slot it into the right place. I am a new driver maybe that is the issue. But I had my friend drive the car and he had the same comment to offer. In fact, he said that this problem is with almost all Maruti models (he owns a WagonR). I am planning to get this checked too
TW,

The Alto's gearshit quality is much better than the Wagon R's. You should not have any probelms if you shift correctly. As you mentioned, it might be due to your driving style.

I own an Alto and the gears were a little tight for the initial 3,000 odd KMS, but have become really smooth since the second service at 5,000 KMS.

Once you cover a few more miles, you will see a marked difference in shift quality.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 6th March 2009, 12:53   #26
BHPian

Thanks, GPA.

You are right about the driving style. And I have just done 2000 kms since I bought it (3 months...pretty bad, eh?).

I am going to the service station on Sunday. Will definitely share my experience there in the relevant thread. Hope to get insights from all members.
Old 6th March 2009, 16:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
4. While cruising at slow speeds in 2nd gear (as in when approaching a red signal), the car jerks a lot and I have to press the clutch to stop this jerking.
My Alto had this issue. Maruti replaced Clutch assembly to fix that. It was in second service, and was done free of cost.

Report this to Service Advisor, if you car is from the batch that had clutch issue they will replace it free of cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks