Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 20:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Humyum, your diagnosis doesnt agree with my experience. this low intensity hum is there in the steering even at idle after 500km in a single day (recent ooty drive).
The oil was changed about 500km or three weeks or so back.

Okay, I have the same hum in the steering wheel. Infact I had the entire steering wheel going trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr at idle when the car was cold, the vibration would still be there when it warmed up but minus the trrrrrrrrrrrr sound.

I was asked to replace the mounts too my MASS, until I figured it out myself at home with some DIY and voila after tightening the things in the steering I told you, its as good as new.

Anyway, I guess you know better. Ever car is different when it gets old
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Hey, when was your last oil change ?

Secondly, get the steering wheel opened and get the clips and nuts adjusted.

Thirdly, the steering column has a fixing plate which attaches the steering rod to the body by a -U- type plate, get that tightened.

I am 100% sure you don't need mountings changed. Trust me.
Well, they looked up the engine mountings but did not want to replace them. Whatever. I am too fed up of Chennai Maruti Service Masters. I mean - they should've done whatever the hell I asked, right? At 110k, i want peace of mind - not for them to doing as they deem fit.

They cleaned the EGR and the car definitely feels a wee bit snappier in traffic. The vibrations are a mild bit lesser but are pretty much there.

They also suggested an "overhaul" of the steering wheel costing 4k to put some spacers in, warning that else the steering wheel could fail, costing 30k for a new one. How much does your procedure cost at a FNG or MASS?

They had no reason to explain any specific warning symptom, except the age of the car!

God I miss gurgaon/apra.
Old 2nd February 2014, 23:38   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Well, they looked up the engine mountings but did not want to replace them. Whatever. I am too fed up of Chennai Maruti Service Masters. I mean - they should've done whatever the hell I asked, right? At 110k, i want peace of mind - not for them to doing as they deem fit.
I agree with the irritated feeling you get when they start suggesting you when you have come-in with a problem.

What reason did they have to give for No mounts replacing?

Coming to the steering overhaul, I haven't heard of this when I went for my 1 lakh kms done Ritz. Hope they ain't taking you for a ride.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

They cleaned the EGR and the car definitely feels a wee bit snappier in traffic. The vibrations are a mild bit lesser but are pretty much there.

They also suggested an "overhaul" of the steering wheel costing 4k to put some spacers in, warning that else the steering wheel could fail, costing 30k for a new one. How much does your procedure cost at a FNG or MASS?

They had no reason to explain any specific warning symptom, except the age of the car!

God I miss gurgaon/apra.
Firstly, the procedure I told you, any mass will do it for free. Its a 10 minute job. Remove the cover of the steering, tigthten the bolts, remove the plastic where your knee touches the lower part of the steering, tighten the bolts in the -U- type fixture and voila done.

Here they overhaul the steering for 6 grand at Car Kraft here in Mumbai. They say they send it to the Lathe and get it done. Not sure what it is as my steering feels perfectly fine, hence I haven't asked them much about it.

If it is not making any noise, don't let anyone touch the steering.

Get the ball joints and steering arm play checked. Its a simple procedure.

Go to any alignment guy. Ask him to lift the front tyres up and check for play He will hold the tyre first in 12 to 6 position and try and shake it, and then 9 to 3 position and try and shake it

If there is any, you will either need to replace the ball joint or tie rod ends. Fairly simple.

If while going over paver blocks you hear the kad kad kad kad noise, its either the caliper pin which has lost its greese of the stabilizer arms, this too fairly simple to replace. More like a 15 minute job.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by humyum : 3rd February 2014 at 14:56.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 14:40   #50
BHPian

Engine & gearbox mount replacement was pending, and infact never done. During the last few visits at workshop, either the part wasnt available or time was a constraint. Y'day at MMASS, changed the engine mounts (2 nos.), but still GB mount wasnt in stock. My Xylo is ~92000 KM, 3.5 years. Cost per mount Rs.400, plus labour, tax; total ~Rs.1250/-

The moment I started the vehicle, I could immediately (literally) feel the difference. Earlier during the ignition itself the vehicle used to shudder and create vibrations - actually I had lived with it! Now, on the cranking the vehicle its very smooth and stable. Since y'day during my small drives, I could also feel some smoothness & silence.

The manual doesnt mention of this, but I believe every 40-50K KM, we should proactively change it.

regards,
Old 9th March 2014, 17:34   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
The manual doesnt mention of this, but I believe every 40-50K KM, we should proactively change it.

regards,
40-50K is a bit too fast to change the mounts, I feel 70-90K kms will do the job.

Anurag.
Old 10th March 2014, 15:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
40-50K is a bit too fast to change the mounts, I feel 70-90K kms will do the job.

Anurag.
in a way, you are correct. also if a vehicle has seen many rough drives, he can proactively change, as in specific case. 60K+ KM should be surely good in normal conditions.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:43   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
in a way, you are correct. also if a vehicle has seen many rough drives, he can proactively change, as in specific case. 60K+ KM should be surely good in normal conditions.
Proactively, we can't have a set definition as it will vary from owner to owner but if speaking on a normal scale 60-70K kms should be better. In my Ritz that did 1.07 lakh kms in 2.9 years, I never had the need to change the mounts, MASS also never recommended as they were happy with the condition of the car. Roads I travel are 'bad' but slow and steady is the key.

I see many owner zip through bad roads and complain of rattles which is natural if not been cautious.

Anurag.
Old 11th March 2014, 20:54   #54
BANNED

The engine mounts of the Swift and Ritz easily last for much more than 1 lakh kms unless they have been put to extremely rough / bad use. It is not a part that would need changing at 60 - 70K kms.
Old 17th February 2015, 22:09   #55
BHPian

Folks, I have 65K,8 year old Hyundai Getz and the ASS says that the engine mount has become weak and needs to be replaced. However they say if the running is not much, I can postpone by 1 or 2 years. The cost quoted is around Rs 3500 per mount. I read about a Scorpio owner changing mounts for Rs 600 each.

Question - Would it be ok to install non original Hyundai engine mounts?
Old 20th February 2015, 11:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
Folks, I have 65K,8 year old Hyundai Getz and the ASS says that the engine mount has become weak and needs to be replaced. However they say if the running is not much, I can postpone by 1 or 2 years. The cost quoted is around Rs 3500 per mount. I read about a Scorpio owner changing mounts for Rs 600 each.

Question - Would it be ok to install non original Hyundai engine mounts?
Friend, my advice is to stick to OE parts. It comes with warranty. Also, my experience is, quality of rubber on OE parts are generally much better than what you find in aftermarket.

As you see, the factory mounts have served you for 8 years and OE spare mounts can be expected to serve you in a similar way.

My Linea has done 85000 km in 35 months and A and B mounts are from factory. C mount I have replaced twice owing to some hard driving I do.

Last edited by autocrat : 20th February 2015 at 11:53. Reason: Added info
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 18:00   #57
BHPian

Need advice on Fiesta Classic. I at times hear a squeaky sound when moving the car when cold. Also noticed the sound when giving a sudden throttle inpout. And then I hear a khat-khat sound when the engine is lugged / feels strained. Somethign like driving the cat at 10Kmph on 2nd gear or so.
I feel its either the suspension or the engine mounts. I went for alignment today, the guy observed that the engine is moving more than usual.

The engine vibrates more than usual when switched off (But not yet to alarming levels). I have shown this to 2 garages, unfortunately I cannot reproduce the sound when I have the mechanic with me.

How much does the engine mounts for Fiesta work out to? Car has run 77000 Kms.
Old 14th September 2023, 19:41   #58
BHPian

Very old thread but anyway...gave my Jeep Compass petrol automatic for service and they claimed that the C engine mount is gone and need to check the other 2 mounts. Was shocked to hear cost per mount is 14k???? Wonder if any of the Jeep owners knows this. I don't feel any vibrations or discomfort. I took the car back saying I'll check it once again and then go back (if it's indeed damaged, I'll go to Jeep itself to get it, not sure of non OEM parts)
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 20:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
gave my Jeep Compass petrol automatic for service and they claimed that the C engine mount is gone and need to check the other 2 mounts. Was shocked to hear cost per mount is 14k????
You didn’t mention how old is your car. This generally is an old car issue. Are you getting some abnormal noises ? Engine mounts are mostly rubber isolaters for dampening the vibrations and they get deteriorated with time, a normal wear and tear phenomenon for rubber component. Open the hood and let someone crank the engine, vary the RPM throttle and observe the engine vibrations. Any abnormal amount of play, noise and engine vibration will point towards a bad mount.

Also if one is damaged, with time it will damage the other ones too. Don’t use non OEM parts, they won’t last longer and generally they are of poor quality.

Last edited by NomadSK : 14th September 2023 at 21:01.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 09:49   #60
BHPian

Its a 2017 Nov make vehicle, ran around 34k km. Mainly around city and not for any offroad. Was surprised it got weak fast. But will check as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
You didn’t mention how old is your car. This generally is an old car issue. Are you getting some abnormal noises ? Engine mounts are mostly rubber isolaters for dampening the vibrations and they get deteriorated with time, a normal wear and tear phenomenon for rubber component. Open the hood and let someone crank the engine, vary the RPM throttle and observe the engine vibrations. Any abnormal amount of play, noise and engine vibration will point towards a bad mount.

Also if one is damaged, with time it will damage the other ones too. Don’t use non OEM parts, they won’t last longer and generally they are of poor quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks