Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 17:45   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin-jo View Post
Add-on question on the long term parking- dos and donts:-
In case one leaves his/her vehicle parked with minimal usage(weekly starting and 1-2 km spins being taken care of) - say for 6 months, what will be the impact on the scheduled service requirements?

Normally car services fall due in 6 months or 5k/10k(based on car manufacturer) kilometer intervals from one service to the other. In this case of a long term parking, suppose on return, the service is due because the 6 months interval is over, what should the owner do? Should he do that 3rd or 4th paid service just for the sake of getting it done?

From my perspective, the service would be just a replacement of the last changed engine liquids/oils which have not been used at all.
Anyone has had such experience? Would be more keen to know from a diesel engine perspective.
Just faced this situation with our ANHC. We couldn't get the 2nd free service done since parents were out of town.

The car was bought on 21st June and had covered 3100 km. According to the Honda manual, the 2nd free service is due 3months/5000 km (whichever is earlier). I called up the dealer on 21st Nov. and told him the situation. Luckily the dealer was ready to accommodate the car at 1pm and carry out the 2nd free service. We got the car back by 6pm. The 2nd free service just involves general check up, car wash and engine oil change.

The 3rd free service is due 10k km and 6 months. However, since we got the 2nd free service done late, he said they would do the 3rd free service upto 1 month beyond the regular schedule. The 3rd involves change of oil/air filter apart from what they do during the 2nd.

We had a similar situation with the Zen too a few years back.

So, check with your dealer and get the free service schedule extended. (They generally do, and if you have bought the car from itself, chances are more).
Old 21st March 2011, 10:31   #122
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Will be shortly going for an assignment for 6 months. Have gone through the thread, a lot of tips have been provided by BHPians. I am clear about most of the tips but confused in some.
The points I will be taking care of :
1) Disconnect both battery terminals, apply vaseline.
2) De-odorize the boot, inside car with Moth balls (any other alternatives)
3) Remove any eatable stuff if present from interiors.
4) Move all car documents to safe custody.
5) Cover the car with the available car cover.
6) Inflate tyres by addtional 5 psi. Install wooden blocks to prevent movement.
7) Fill the tank to half.

Points which need some help:
1) How to prevent tyre dead spot in relation to above point#6
2) What protection to use in the engine bay? Would moth balls suffice?
3) Would it be required to apply vaseline on the battery terminals

Since there is no one available to start the engine once in a while, I guess I will have to rely on the above points. Also will be missing the scheduled service due in May 2011. Have spoken to the dealer to extend the same. Anything else I need to keep a watch on, pls advise
Old 29th March 2011, 16:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
if possible u can place ur car on wooden planks or jacks on the 4 sides so that the tire will not get a flat spot due .

do remember to disconnect the battery,
and even if there is no dust,wats the harm in covering ur car.in this way u need not have to get it cleaned daily.
Hi,

I have a doubt here. Though I understand that disconnecting the battery helps, but practically how does it work ?, as long as there is no drain on the system, shouldn't the entire electrical system be @ correct potential ? (ie meaning no discharge anywhere). I am assuming all electrical connections are off etc. Or do you hint that there could be a slow PD between terminals ?
Old 29th March 2011, 17:29   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
Hi,

I have a doubt here. Though I understand that disconnecting the battery helps, but practically how does it work ?, as long as there is no drain on the system, shouldn't the entire electrical system be @ correct potential ? (ie meaning no discharge anywhere). I am assuming all electrical connections are off etc. Or do you hint that there could be a slow PD between terminals ?
Simple funda - charge flows from higher potential to lower potential. So, while the battery remains charged, over a long period of time, a small amount of charge continually flows to the electrical systems and over a considerable time (read : months at a stretch), the battery loses charge. There's also loss of charge due to a small PD between the 2 terminals.
Old 29th March 2011, 18:01   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
Systems like security / key-less entry would keep consuming small amount of power. Thats why disconnecting the battery reduces of complete drainage.
Old 31st March 2011, 20:35   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Systems like security / key-less entry would keep consuming small amount of power. Thats why disconnecting the battery reduces of complete drainage.
The on-board computer would be receiving the power too right?

So, in case you disconnect the battery, the clock will be reset and the odometer reading will be lost, isn't it?
Old 31st March 2011, 20:49   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Will be shortly going for an assignment for 6 months. Have gone through the thread, a lot of tips have been provided by BHPians. I am clear about most of the tips but confused in some.
The points I will be taking care of :
1) Disconnect both battery terminals, apply vaseline.
2) De-odorize the boot, inside car with Moth balls (any other alternatives)
3) Remove any eatable stuff if present from interiors.
4) Move all car documents to safe custody.
5) Cover the car with the available car cover.
6) Inflate tyres by addtional 5 psi. Install wooden blocks to prevent movement.
7) Fill the tank to half.

Points which need some help:
1) How to prevent tyre dead spot in relation to above point#6
2) What protection to use in the engine bay? Would moth balls suffice?
3) Would it be required to apply Vaseline on the battery terminals

Since there is no one available to start the engine once in a while, I guess I will have to rely on the above points. Also will be missing the scheduled service due in May 2011. Have spoken to the dealer to extend the same. Anything else I need to keep a watch on, pls advise
(1) The tyres need not be inflated by an additional 5 psi. Its a good idea to use wooden blocks to raise the tyre above the ground level.
(2) Moth balls / naphthalene balls in cloth bags at many places within the engine bay @ 6 in each bag well dispersed will suffice for about 45 days or so. Also I would suggest you to use a paint brush and kerosene (diesel is oily and attracts dirt) to apply kerosene all over the non painted parts . B every careful with the electricals/electronic parts/ wires and rubber/plastic parts over which kerosene should not spill.
(3) Vaseline or petroleum jelly can always be applied on battery terminals and battery wire ends connecting the battery, even when the car is being used.This keeps the contacts bereft of any chemical alteration.NEVER APPLY GREASE.
(4) If you are in a coastal area or in a moist place, silica gel can be packed in cloth bags (at least 3 to 4 bags or 1 Kg each inside the passenger compartment of the car. This absorbs moisture and silica gel is available in any scientific goods/ equipment shop.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 31st March 2011 at 20:52.
Old 31st March 2011, 21:57   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The on-board computer would be receiving the power too right?

So, in case you disconnect the battery, the clock will be reset and the odometer reading will be lost, isn't it?
The ECU will be reset, but nothing happens to the odo. The HUD settings and tuned FM channels go for a toss as well.
Old 2nd April 2011, 18:01   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
(4) If you are in a coastal area or in a moist place, silica gel can be packed in cloth bags (at least 3 to 4 bags or 1 Kg each inside the passenger compartment of the car. This absorbs moisture and silica gel is available in any scientific goods/ equipment shop.
That should better read
"If you are in a coastal area or in a moist place, silica gel can be packed in cloth bags (at least 3 to 4 bags of 1 Kg each) inside the passenger compartment of the car. This absorbs moisture and silica gel is available in any scientific goods/ equipment shop."
Old 29th June 2011, 18:56   #130
Senior - BHPian

Aftereffects of connecting the battery after 30 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The ECU will be reset, but nothing happens to the odo. The HUD settings and tuned FM channels go for a toss as well.
Can you guys please elaborate on the aftereffects of connecting the battery after, say 30 days?

Please take Beat LT for case study.
Before disconnecting the battery do we need to keep the doors locked or unlocked? In my case there is a Autocop remote with immobilizer.

Once battery is disconnected and hood closed, central locking will not work anymore. Se we need to lock all doors and hatch manually, right? Can cars with central locking be locked/unlocked manually (with out battery)?

After disconnecting the battery, is it safe to leave the battery in the hood itself? (30 days max). Is it ok to rap insulation tape on terminals after applying vaseline.

At time of reconnecting the battery, if ECU resets what all data will be lost?

What about stock integrated HU? Will it require the unlock code to start using it? I lost the sticker on the HU initially. Can this code be retrieved through some source? There is another code on Speedo/Odo console. What is that for?
Looking forward to hearing from you gurus.

Thanks and regards

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 29th June 2011 at 18:57.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:06   #131
Team-BHP Support

Re: Aftereffects of connecting the battery after 30 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Before disconnecting the battery do we need to keep the doors locked or unlocked? In my case there is a Autocop remote with immobilizer.

I doubt it should make a diff. Because once you've disconnected the battery, Autocop will lose power anyway.
Quote:
Once battery is disconnected and hood closed, central locking will not work anymore. Se we need to lock all doors and hatch manually, right? Can cars with central locking be locked/unlocked manually (with out battery)?
Central locking will still work, IMO. So, once you lock the driver door, all the doors and hatch will lock. I don't think it uses the battery for this.
Quote:
After disconnecting the battery, is it safe to leave the battery in the hood itself? (30 days max). Is it ok to rap insulation tape on terminals after applying vaseline.
30 days is too short a time; you could leave it like that; but firmly apart.
Quote:
All the preset radio stations on the ICE and the time on the MID.
Quote:
What about stock integrated HU? Will it require the unlock code to start using it? I lost the sticker on the HU initially. Can this code be retrieved through some source? There is another code on Speedo/Odo console. What is that for?
Unlock code? No clue.

Btw, are you going to be away for just 30 days. You could leave the car as it is actually; not disconnecting the battery for such a short while won't affect it that much.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 19:13   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, are you going to be away for just 30 days. You could leave the car as it is actually; not disconnecting the battery for such a short while won't affect it that much.
Fed-up of kids in the block bumping to the ORVMs, windshield, body etc to hear the alarm "tou tou"

There was a code sticked to the HU when the car came out of showroom. With out knowing it as a code I lost it.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 29th June 2011, 19:16   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fed-up of kids in the block bumping to the ORVMs, windshield, body etc to hear the alarm "tou tou"

There was a code sticked to the HU when the car came out of showroom. With out knowing it as a code I lost it.

Cheers!

Vinu
Oh! That would drain your battery.

You could do one thing then - disconnect Autocop for the time you are going but leave the battery connected. The central locking, immobilizer would still work.

Most imp. advantage (from personal experience) : when you get back, you don't have to wait for the mechanic to come and install the battery again. The car is ready to use. And for short durations, disconnecting the battery doesn't help much.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th June 2011 at 19:38.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:29   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like libran mentioned, makes no difference, however, pop up the bonet, lock the doors, and then disconnect the battery.
Quote:
30 days is nothing for modern cars. You can even go with the car as it is (not disconnecting the battery). So that you can get the additional protection of autocop.
Quote:
All ICE data, trip meters, car clock, and throttle body and other calibration of the ECU, error codes if any.
Quote:
My ICE gets completely reset. Hence I assume you might need it.

----------

Quote:
Quote:
Central locking will still work, IMO. So, once you lock the driver door, all the doors and hatch will lock. I don't think it uses the battery for this.
Central locking WILL NOT work. You have to manually lock the doors. Central locking system uses an actuator motor to do the job, and it requires power.

========================

Quote:
Quote:
You could doo one thing then - disconnect Autocop for the time you are going but leave the battery connected. The central locking, immobilizer would still work.
Call the autocop guy. There is way to reduce the sensitivity of the system, so that it does not "tou-tou" when kids bump. . That way, you still have security.
Quote:
... you don't have to wait for the mechanic to come and install the battery again...
Umm.. do you need a mechanic to install the batteries? :P

Last edited by dhanushs : 29th June 2011 at 19:33.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 19:41   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Central locking WILL NOT work. You have to manually lock the doors. Central locking system uses an actuator motor to do the job, and it requires power.
Thanks for the info.

========================
Quote:
Call the autocop guy. There is way to reduce the sensitivity of the system, so that it does not "tou-tou" when kids bump. . That way, you still have security.

Umm.. do you need a mechanic to install the batteries? :P
Autocop would still suck a lot of power, right?

About needing a mechanic, just a general statement for practical situations man!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks