Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 20:59   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Dude
If your engine is in damn good condition, you may be able to see water droplets from your exhaust - while this is a good sign
This is something new to me. Anyone care to put some light on it?
Old 12th October 2010, 21:24   #107
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a related query. There is a possibility that I may be transferred to another location in the near future and I will not be taking my family. Will it be ok to drive the car (50 - 100 KM) only during my weekend visits to Chennai and keep it parked otherwise? I may not be able to make it here during all weekends, so on those occassions the non-use may extend to two weeks at a stretch.

Taking the car with me may not be an option, especially if I am posted to another state.

Last edited by Gansan : 12th October 2010 at 21:26.
Old 12th October 2010, 21:29   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Really love your car? Hate to leave it behind for a long time at the mercy of the elements? Or have you got a priceless heirloom of a car that you keep more for the show than the go? Try this: Carcoon Storage Systems International LTD - Carcoon Products.
Old 13th October 2010, 18:01   #109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, I have a related query. There is a possibility that I may be transferred to another location in the near future and I will not be taking my family. Will it be ok to drive the car (50 - 100 KM) only during my weekend visits to Chennai and keep it parked otherwise? I may not be able to make it here during all weekends, so on those occassions the non-use may extend to two weeks at a stretch.

Taking the car with me may not be an option, especially if I am posted to another state.
Gansan, using your car once a week should not pose any problems at all. And don't worry about the occasional two-week idle periods either. Good luck with the transfer.
Old 13th October 2010, 18:45   #110
Team-BHP Support

^^^ Apart from the above ensure you dry the car completely before parking, if you are washing the car when you are in chennai. Also avoid parking after short trips and parking, coz of water vapor condensation at silencer can lead to corrosion.
Old 13th October 2010, 19:42   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gansan, using your car once a week should not pose any problems at all. And don't worry about the occasional two-week idle periods either. Good luck with the transfer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
^^^ Apart from the above ensure you dry the car completely before parking, if you are washing the car when you are in chennai. Also avoid parking after short trips and parking, coz of water vapor condensation at silencer can lead to corrosion.
Thanks a lot, GTO and Jaggu! That takes a load off my mind. I was wondering whether I will have to sell the car and go. The transfer is a 50% probability right now and things will become clear in another month or two.
Old 20th October 2010, 09:02   #112
BHPian

Battery drains off...

Hi, I have just gone through the thread on long term parking, unfortunately a bit too late.

I often leave my Trax parked for months in the garage in my home while on tour. Battery is now 4 yrs old almost. It drained off..at least the engine would not start.

Since the garage is in a awkward position/size, I cannot roll it without substantial help...u know how big the trax is.

Other than calling service guys, is there anything I can do to remove battery and charge it elsewhere? Is that a major operation requiring some equipment?

In future, if I need to keep it charged, can I do something (in addition to removing terminal cables which I am normally scared to do)
Old 20th October 2010, 09:26   #113
BHPian

4 Yr. old battery will drain much faster than a newer one, you should certainly get the battery checked at battery dealer, secondly the batter would still drain with terminals disconnected but may be little slower.

You can buy a small charger and charge it in home itself, but it should be done in garage itself as moving a bulky battery in and out would be risky and tiresome.
Old 20th October 2010, 09:29   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxter View Post
Other than calling service guys, is there anything I can do to remove battery and charge it elsewhere? Is that a major operation requiring some equipment?
Though I haven't experienced, but there're some DIY methods, try it at your own discreetion.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-battery.html

If I were you, I would simply replace the battery because its 4 year old & will not be reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxter View Post
In future, if I need to keep it charged, can I do something (in addition to removing terminal cables which I am normally scared to do)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dos-donts.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...eing-used.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-airports.html
Old 20th October 2010, 10:34   #115
BHPian

Thanks guys..Hashim's thread is awesome with detailed pictures etc.

I was about to change battery the earlier time this happened but the friendly battery dealer advised me against it though it was in his interest to sell me one..

Actually I was happy to postpone since my cost of running per KM is already close to simply disposing the vehicle and hiring a A/c Innova with driver :-). That is because I pay insurance, fuel and run it for hardly 2-3k km per year...
Old 26th October 2010, 19:43   #116
BHPian

How long you car can afford to relax

I am interested to learn from folks here on some questions lingering on my mind.
Perhaps, this will be very useful for new car owners like me

1. How long you car can be left idle without ignition.In other words, how often will you take it for a short ride, eventhough you are not using it actively, just to keep the car in good condition.
I dont mean the long breaks(months) when the owner goes for onsite or moves to another city
There would be instances where you will really not have much need to use your car, like a short trip for a holiday, sick and bedridden, multiple cars at home etc etc.

2. Whats checks to be done before taking it for a ride, when car has been left idle for a few days/weeks

3. Is there any requirement to rev up the engine in neutral like how its done for a motorbike, after a short idle time

4. How often it is recommended to get your car tyres air pressure checked

Please feel free to add any related Q & A related to this topic.
appreciate any inputs in this regard.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th October 2010 at 20:27. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, already existing topic. Thanks
Old 27th October 2010, 09:13   #117
Senior - BHPian

Tips for leaving your vehicle unused for a long time

I usually leave my vehicle unused for over a month many times a year.Here are a few pointers from my experience for leaving your vehicle unused for over a month.

Engine & mechanicals;
Get your car serviced atleast one day before you plan to leave yuor vehicle unused. Get a diesel wash done for the underbody followed by a coat of used engine oil. The benifit of this is that it helps prevent rusting and also keeps rodents away.

Inside the engine bay, ensure its clean and dry. Use a contact sprat on any/all wiring points to keep them clean and in good condition. Use WD40 on all other non electrical points. Do not coat the hoses. Just before you put the cover on and leave, lavishly place napthalene balls in all corners and pockets of the engine bay. Rats hate the stench.. and it ensures atleast a month of peace from rats.
Get car battery checked and fully charged(if necessary) atleast a day before you leave) and disconnect the terminals after your last ride.

External body; Use WD40 on all door locks/key holes, door hinges and wheel nuts. Get car polished if possible with a clear coat shine so it helps prevent dust from sticking and helps prevent stickyness below the car cover, especially in the monsoons.

Interiors; Ensure the interiors are clean and totally DRY. again, use napthalene balls places lavishly inside your cabin to prevent rat attacks. Note; upon returning, it does take a few hours of ventilation and driving with windows down for the stench to totally go away. Ensure you have not left any food items or residual eatables anywhere in your car. Clear bottles of water and ensure good housekeeping. This ensures you find a nice clean cabin upon returning.

Tires; Ensure tires are a slightly overpressurised. I prefer 35-40psi when i leave the vehicle for a month.

Lastly, ensure you use a car cover and that its properly secured to ensure its not blown open in the wind. And if possible, find a stilt parking/shed.

These little basics that I practice will help you keep you car clean, long lasting, rodent free and ready for your return.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 27th October 2010 at 09:17.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:53   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
I am interested to learn from folks here on some questions lingering on my mind.
Perhaps, this will be very useful for new car owners like me

1. How long you car can be left idle without ignition.In other words, how often will you take it for a short ride, eventhough you are not using it actively, just to keep the car in good condition.
I dont mean the long breaks(months) when the owner goes for onsite or moves to another city
There would be instances where you will really not have much need to use your car, like a short trip for a holiday, sick and bedridden, multiple cars at home etc etc.

2. Whats checks to be done before taking it for a ride, when car has been left idle for a few days/weeks

3. Is there any requirement to rev up the engine in neutral like how its done for a motorbike, after a short idle time

4. How often it is recommended to get your car tyres air pressure checked

Please feel free to add any related Q & A related to this topic.
appreciate any inputs in this regard.
1. as such, you can leave the car without turning the engine on for a week or two without worrying about the battery charge.. (however, if the batter is old, say 3 yrs +), you should do it more regularly..

2. firstly, check the tyre pressure (if the vehicle can be driven at all!).. once you have start the engine, let it idle for a few minutes so that it reaches its optimum operating temp and a continuous flow of fuel is maintained.. after you have started driving, get the fuel filled full tank..

also, check the under-the-hood.. if there's too much dust and dirt, get it nicely washed..

3. not very necessary since most engines are MPFI..

4. you should check the tyre pressure once in 15 days..
Old 13th December 2010, 21:42   #119
BHPian

re: Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts

Add-on question on the long term parking- dos and donts:-
In case one leaves his/her vehicle parked with minimal usage(weekly starting and 1-2 km spins being taken care of) - say for 6 months, what will be the impact on the scheduled service requirements?

Normally car services fall due in 6 months or 5k/10k(based on car manufacturer) kilometer intervals from one service to the other. In this case of a long term parking, suppose on return, the service is due because the 6 months interval is over, what should the owner do? Should he do that 3rd or 4th paid service just for the sake of getting it done?

From my perspective, the service would be just a replacement of the last changed engine liquids/oils which have not been used at all.
Anyone has had such experience? Would be more keen to know from a diesel engine perspective.
Old 13th December 2010, 23:27   #120
Senior - BHPian

re: Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin-jo View Post
Add-on question on the long term parking- dos and donts:-
In case one leaves his/her vehicle parked with minimal usage(weekly starting and 1-2 km spins being taken care of) - say for 6 months, what will be the impact on the scheduled service requirements?

Normally car services fall due in 6 months or 5k/10k(based on car manufacturer) kilometer intervals from one service to the other. In this case of a long term parking, suppose on return, the service is due because the 6 months interval is over, what should the owner do? Should he do that 3rd or 4th paid service just for the sake of getting it done?

From my perspective, the service would be just a replacement of the last changed engine liquids/oils which have not been used at all.
Anyone has had such experience? Would be more keen to know from a diesel engine perspective.

Services should be done in time irrespective of the usage. I am going to face that situation pretty soon where my car in India would have barely run 100-200 km when it goes in for 1st paid (4th overall) service in this march 2011. Normally the gap is 6 months/5000 km - whichever is earlier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks