Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 13:58   #91
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had to leave my Bimmer standing for 2 months and I see signs of fungus... Could any Bangy Boys help me where to find Silicon Sachets or similiar setup?

Indy
Old 14th November 2009, 14:10   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Hi Guys, I have recently traveled abroad and had planned to leave the car with my parents. Unfortunately, there is not much need for them to drive the car...

Looks like the car will be parked for about 3-4 months min. How bad will it impact the car?

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.
As a person having gone through this experience (my car was not used regularly for 2 years) one of the after effects I saw upon my return was the impact on the tyres. Since it was very sparingly used and the car was parked most of the time, the tyres had deformed a little (albeit not visible) and this resulted in increased road noise. It took me more than 4K of regular use for the noise to subside.

Since the period you are referring to is only 3-4 months, I dont think it should be a great deal but I would still urge you to have someone do the following:

1. Take the car out at least once a week and drive it for a few kms.
2. More importantly, it is better to maintain a higher tyre pressure when parked. This is the key in maintaining the shape of the tyre when parked.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by rr_zen : 14th November 2009 at 14:11.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:00   #93
BHPian

Car To Be Parked & Unused for Long

Mods - Please move this thread to the appropriate location if something similar already exists, I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Guys, I will not be using my car for a month and would leave it parked in my society's covered parking, what else should I keep in mind apart from the following -

1. Remove battery terminals (kids enjoy activating my anti-theft alarm),
2. Since antitheft would be non-functional, will engage the manual gear lock,
3. Place some rat-poison inside the cabin and under the hood,
4. Leave no original documents in the car

Anything else that I should keep in mind ?
Old 14th July 2010, 15:09   #94
BANNED

Well, a month is not too long a time so the steps you have mentioned seem to be sufficient. You could also cover the car, clean it thoroughly especially its undersides, and ensure that there is at least 30% fuel in the tank. Alongwith a gear lock, if you stay at a theft prone area, I would suggest a few more measures for passive safety like a steering lock or a chain as a visible deterrent.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:22   #95
Senior - BHPian

A couple of things to consider:

1) Cordon off the parking area.
2) A nice air freshner inside to keep the car smelling good.
3) Wooden blocks below the tyres just in case needed.
4) No need of rat poison inside the cabin. Just outside is enough.

And above all a solid confidence that nothing's going to happen to your car. All the Best.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:25   #96
BHPian

I am removing the battery terminals just because of the naughty kids in the society, they have "identified" the cars with antitheft and every sat/sun would bump some car or the other to hear the siren, was annoying at times but then after remembering my childhood days decided not to shout on them.

Yes, car wash is on cards, but during my shifting I misplaced my car cover, and since its a basement kind of parking I dont think there would be major issues, even in case of the heaviest of the rains, not a drizzle reaches my car. But still will try to source one.

Theft is next to impossible because there are two resident guards who know about the car owners and are more vigilant once informed about residents on vacation/out of station

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, a month is not too long a time so the steps you have mentioned seem to be sufficient. You could also cover the car, clean it thoroughly especially its undersides, and ensure that there is at least 30% fuel in the tank. Alongwith a gear lock, if you stay at a theft prone area, I would suggest a few more measures for passive safety like a steering lock or a chain as a visible deterrent.
- Cordon off not possible since my parking space is right at the opening of the watchman room
- Air freshner is already in place, will turn in to max
- Wooden blocks below the tyres, I think wooden blocks are used to raise your car, like put the jack, then keep the blocks and then lower the jack, this is to ensure that the tyres don't get "crushed" at the contact point, this wont be possible considering the naughty society kids, I don't want anyone to get hurt at the cost of tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
A couple of things to consider:

1) Cordon off the parking area.
2) A nice air freshner inside to keep the car smelling good.
3) Wooden blocks below the tyres just in case needed.
4) No need of rat poison inside the cabin. Just outside is enough.

And above all a solid confidence that nothing's going to happen to your car. All the Best.

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 14th July 2010 at 15:34.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:43   #97
BHPian

I had to leave my car standing for 3 months at a stretch - twice. I requested a friend to give it ignition after 1-2 months for 10-15 minutes - did not have any problem.

If you do not have family/friends to look after the car, then would strongly recommend you to purchase a car cover.
Old 14th July 2010, 16:25   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Mods - Please move this thread to the appropriate location if something similar already exists, I did a quick search and didn't find anything...

Anything else that I should keep in mind ?
Remove the main fuse inside the (Fuse box) bonnet if you intend on keeping the battery disconnected but inside bonnet. Vaseline both terminals so that they are protected from moisture & corrosion. Make sure all the tires are on level surface. A dab of vaseline on wiper blades will ensure them being as good as new when you finally re-unite with your car. Throw worry of car being stolen out of the window as you have walled parking & nightwatchmen.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:17   #99
Senior - BHPian

This topic has already been discussed here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-okay.html
Old 14th July 2010, 19:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

In addition to the points mentioned, overinflate your tyres.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

@Rajat - Thread exists on long term storage. Here's one - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-okay.html

That thread has additional links to suggest the precautionary steps to be taken as well.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:36   #102
BHPian

45 psi is the storage pressure for the tires. Use a foot pump if you have one or fill in from the near-by point and drive slowly back home. Release the extra air once you are back. This is done to avoid flat spots in tires.
Old 14th July 2010, 20:35   #103
Senior - BHPian

Instead of over pressure I would suggest you to place it on blocks or on jacks to remove pressure on tyres. The point here is not actually the pressure on tyre but pressure on a specific point on the trye continuously. Not recommended for life of tyre. Do it if you can. It will also give you additional advantage (esp if you put on blocks) that car theft chances are reduced.

Wrap up the car nicely.

Place the battery (after removal) on a wooden block. Ensure that nothing near by can cause a short circuit. Dont wrap it up with acid filled inside.

Anything which can be taken out from outside just remove it and keep it inside house eg wheel covers, antenna etc.
Old 18th August 2010, 00:48   #104
BHPian

Guidelines for cars used infrequently and/or in remote locations

Dear Experts,

I have to request you to provide me some advice on the following

Summary:

1. I intent to park a car at a holiday home that i own at a remote location somewhere in the vicinity of Kodaikanal
2. The closest known authorized service stations are in Madurai City which is 4 hours away
3. This car will probably be used over 3-6 visits spanning 15-20 days in a year
4. There could be cases where the car is not used for 6-8 months at stretch

What i request:

1. What are effects of long term disuse on a car? Especially when it is a used car.
2. What are the procedures to be followed to ensure good health of a car especially when it is not used frequently
3. What are the procedures to be followed when a car is being used in extreme climate
3. What sort of car should be chosen, in case it has to be used in remote locations? Let us assume that road /offroad conditions exist equally
4. What are the list of tools a person should keep, if he intends to store a car in a remote location?

Last edited by acidkill : 18th August 2010 at 00:50.
Old 18th August 2010, 02:03   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Dear Experts,

I have to request you to provide me some advice on the following

Summary:

1. I intent to park a car at a holiday home that i own at a remote location somewhere in the vicinity of Kodaikanal
2. The closest known authorized service stations are in Madurai City which is 4 hours away
3. This car will probably be used over 3-6 visits spanning 15-20 days in a year
4. There could be cases where the car is not used for 6-8 months at stretch

What i request:

1. What are effects of long term disuse on a car? Especially when it is a used car.
2. What are the procedures to be followed to ensure good health of a car especially when it is not used frequently
3. What are the procedures to be followed when a car is being used in extreme climate
3. What sort of car should be chosen, in case it has to be used in remote locations? Let us assume that road /offroad conditions exist equally
4. What are the list of tools a person should keep, if he intends to store a car in a remote location?
There is nothing wrong using a car very sparingly, however if you are planning to leave a gap of 6-8months, please disconnect the battery.

1. I dont think there is any effect on car not being used.
2. disconnect battery, inflate tires 2-3PS more, park far from rodents.
When you switch on engine after long gap, before starting check all oil levels once.
3. Any Car would do with good tyres (I am talking about petrol vehicles only here). between what car you are planning to use ?
4. There is no specific tools apart from the common spare tyres, wheel jack etc. but since you mentioned 4hrs drive to next service station, you might need to make sure all fluids in the car are OK (prevention is better than cure)

@acidkill, there is a detailed thread discussed on this, please visit the below link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dos-donts.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks