Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 05:05   #61
BANNED

safari2.2 dicor - 6 Months hibernation care???

Hi,

will be out of country for 6m. plz share inputs on care/safe-keep of the vehicle...... itl be completely idle for 6m may be a lil more.

thx,
pritish

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th January 2009 at 00:44. Reason: See note in post
Old 7th January 2009, 00:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

1. remove the battery terminal.
2. atleast half a tank of diesel.
3. Jack up if possible.
4. Above all cover it.

Do you have trustworthy friends during the time you are away. If yes tell him to start up and idle it for 10 minutes every fortnight. You know the problems with Djal.

Last edited by SirAlec : 7th January 2009 at 00:20.
Old 7th January 2009, 00:33   #63
BHPian

SirAlec has listed it all. and also make sure there isnt any eatable left in the car else roaches will raid you car.
Old 7th January 2009, 06:54   #64
BHPian

Or you could just loan it to a trusted friend.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:40   #65
Senior - BHPian

I'm willing to come to B'lore, pik-up the truck and drive back to GGN. This will serve two purposes - one, I shall meet all my relatives after a hiatus of 25 yrs and two, you don't have to worry for 6 months about yout truck.

Promise to take good care of your ride, better than the two that I own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
1. remove the battery terminal.
2. atleast half a tank of diesel.
3. Jack up if possible.
4. Above all cover it.

Do you have trustworthy friends during the time you are away. If yes tell him to start up and idle it for 10 minutes every fortnight. You know the problems with Djal.
If you stay in a condo or have a private garage then your vehicle is quite secure. Else, if you jack-up you may find your truck without feet when you return if your vehicle is parked somewhere on the road in the colony. Secondly take adequate care to see that no pests, read rodents make this place their abode during this hiatus.

Last edited by gd1418 : 7th January 2009 at 11:44.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:48   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Or you could just loan it to a trusted friend.
Whats the guarantee that its will be 6 months? I wiont suggest keeping it idle.

Loan it to gd
Old 7th January 2009, 11:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

This is a real dilemma.

1. You dont want to 'hibernate' the truck for 6 months. I wouldnt recommend this course of action, better to have it driven occassionally by someone trustworthy.

2. If you do not have someone trustworthy, or if you trust the wrong monkey, your truck would definitely not be the same when you get it back.

My own truck used to be religiously looked after by a very meticulous friend of mine. Over the last one year however we have had to let it be used by several drivers for parents, in laws and for my family when they were home. Plus, several 'guests' used the vehicle recently whenever they visited India - this was a practice that I have NEVER encouraged in the past, but was hurt enough by a "friend"'s comment to give it out to visiting friends against my better judgement. I had thought that it wasnt worth screwing up a friendship for such a small reason, but in hindsight it IS worth saving your vehicle even at the cost of a few friendships - my truck has been returned today after one such 'use' with a screwed clutch. I've used this vehicle for 65k kms without a single issue with the clutch and now I need a new one after about 3-5k kms.

So yes, you've got yourself in a spot here. I dont envy you.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th January 2009 at 11:51.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:56   #68
BANNED

Us good folks in Bangalore can take it out for a spin once in a while, if you're comfortable. Yours is not a position I would want to be in.
Old 7th January 2009, 12:28   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SirAlec : 2. atleast half a tank of diesel.
I've always been under the impression that with diesel, you dont do this. Guys, pls confirm.

I have left the truck standing for upto 6 weeks, with some diesel in it. The truck has come to life at first crank. But 6 months - I would either let some one use it- OR, go the distance by disconnecting battery, empyting the tank & jacking it up so it does not stand on it's tyres during that long duration.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:06   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Us good folks in Bangalore can take it out for a spin once in a while, if you're comfortable. Yours is not a position I would want to be in.
I Second Hrishi's view.

We are there, do not worry

Only if you want it that way.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

Prits,

I suggest, find a good friend who drives well, preferably has a safari / scorpio. Let him take it for atleast a 2km spin on the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Secondly take adequate care to see that no pests, read rodents make this place their abode during this hiatus.
How do you take adequate care of these rodents? They always find their way to chew on some wire.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:48   #72
BHPian

Do keep the vehicle safe from rats and rodents. A friend of mine who left his Cielo at his garage for a months time was shocked to find lots of wire bits, and papers inside the AC blower. The best part was that those papers were the copies of his vehicle documents. Fortunately the originals were safe at home. He also found a dead rat, who got entagled somwhere in between the cabin wiring harness and could'nt find an escape.

I have heard of some ultrasonic sound device which would irritate such rodents. But I myself have never seen one. If you could find one, might protect your vehicle too.
Old 7th January 2009, 21:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

There are several such ultrasonic pest repelling devices but they work on 220 VAC. I've not heard of or seen any device that works on batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
I have heard of some ultrasonic sound device which would irritate such rodents. But I myself have never seen one. If you could find one, might protect your vehicle too.
Old 8th January 2009, 23:47   #74
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prits_moh View Post
Hi,

will be out of country for 6m. plz share inputs on care/safe-keep of the vehicle...... itl be completely idle for 6m may be a lil more.
Its all there in the 2.2 dicor manual. But then you sure it is for 6 months and not more? in fact that what is uncertain most times.

Quote:
Maintaining the car when not in extended use :

Park the car in covered, dry and if possible well-ventilated premises.

Engage a gear.

Remove the cables from the battery terminals (first remove the cable from the negative terminal).

Make sure the handbrake is not engaged.

Clean and protect the painted parts using protective wax.

Clean and protect the shiny metal parts using commercially available special compounds.

Sprinkle talcum powder on the rubber windscreen wiper and rear window wiper blades and lift them off the glass.

Slightly open the windows.

Cover the car with a cloth or perforated plastic sheet. Do not use sheets of imperforated plastic as they do not allow
moisture on the car body to evaporate.

Inflate the tyres to 0.5 bar above the normal specified pressure and check it at regular intervals.

Do not drain the engine cooling system.
For rats/pests remember seeing posts out here that an open pouch of tobacco keeps them away!!!

Last edited by adc : 8th January 2009 at 23:52.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:27   #75
BANNED

Thank you all, i have fixed my problem partly.
My friend is available only to crank up the engine every alternate day not drive it around. Steeroid's caution is something i would heed to.

But my worry now is the tyre as cited by many of you. car is statue for another 5months. Is there too much damage in stand still position ? I have inflated air pressure to 38.
My flat has a basement covered garage, shud i jack up ? that means 4 jacks ???

Steeroid, i noticed your residence cites - DXB. You may call me on - 050 5270221. (celebacy from wheels for 6months) Would appreciate it if you could care to catch up.

ADVISE ME Please,

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Its all there in the 2.2 dicor manual. But then you sure it is for 6 months and not more? in fact that what is uncertain most times.

For rats/pests remember seeing posts out here that an open pouch of tobacco keeps them away!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks