Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 16:06   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts

Maruti's car care mantras for the lockdown period

Maruti Suzuki has released car care tips to ensure cars are in good condition after the ongoing lockdown to contain the Covid-19 pandemic ends. The company claims to have sent more than 25 million SMSes to inform customers on the tips and that many have been reached out to multiple times to reiterate the points.

Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-image001.jpg

The car maker recommends customers to switch on the engine and keep is running for at least 15 minutes. For cars with the Smart Hybrid system, keep the engine running and headlights on for at least 30 minutes. It is also recommended to switch on your AC for 1 minute with all the windows rolled down.

For vehicles, whose free service, warranty and extended warranty was scheduled to expire between March 15, 2020, and April 30, 2020, Maruti has extended it to June 30, 2020.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 14th April 2020 at 16:08.
ChiragM is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 18:13   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Hello guys, being on the topic of car care during lockdown, I have an urgent query regarding availability of 5W-30 engine oil in Pune for my vehicle as engine oil levels are cricically low and pumps along my daily commute to work (Hospital) do not seem to have the same. Any leads? Thanks.
Hi,

Did you try any Shell Petrol pumps, I've been told that some of them are open for catering to essential services. The ones along highway (Warje/ Ravet) should be open.

Alternatively, you can try on Amazon and raise a query stating the unique case you have, if you get lucky, they might deliver you on time. (I received a message that non essential deliveries will take about two weeks from today)

Last edited by NiInJa : 14th April 2020 at 18:24.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 09:51   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Hi,

Did you try any Shell Petrol pumps,
Thanks a lot Ninja. I did try my local Shell pump in PCMC and thankfully got what I needed. Cheers!
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 13:35   #349
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Manivannan Palanisamy for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I just received a message from Hyundai Cares through WhatsApp on how to maintain a car during the lockdown period.
Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-img_20200420_202026.jpg
Old 21st April 2020, 15:06   #350
Senior - BHPian

Many of our cars are parked on public roads regularly. During the current lockdown too, they have remained there, untouched and unused.

Meanwhile, local administrations are sanitising the streets using Sodium Hypochlorite (NaOCl) mixed with water. It is inevitable that the chemical will land and remain on parked cars. Will this damage the paint and cause corrosion?
Old 21st April 2020, 15:52   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Meanwhile, local administrations are sanitising the streets using Sodium Hypochlorite (NaOCl) mixed with water. It is inevitable that the chemical will land and remain on parked cars. Will this damage the paint and cause corrosion?
The chemical is unlikely to do any permanent damage on the paint, the moisture if this is being sprayed everyday on the vehicle and the vehicle is unused - may cause corrosion to the exposed metal bits.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 17:13   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
My 16 year old car usually stays idle for 15-20 days at a stretch and I haven't faced any issues till date.
Like I've said before, I've never bothered about following any special "tips" for parking for an extended period.

Here's my 2004 Santro Xing with a 4 year old battery. First crank after exactly 30 days:

boniver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 22:41   #353
BHPian

Well, my dad's Ritz (completing 10 years in August) refused to start tonight. I parked it outside, under the shade in the morning. Everything seemed good. But it wouldn't start in the night when i wanted to park it inside the house. Perhaps the battery was already weak. Should i call Maruti Roadside Assistance? Are they operating? Or try to jump start the car using my other car?
Old 23rd April 2020, 00:35   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Well, my dad's Ritz (completing 10 years in August) refused to start tonight. I parked it outside, under the shade in the morning. Everything seemed good. But it wouldn't start in the night when i wanted to park it inside the house. Perhaps the battery was already weak. Should i call Maruti Roadside Assistance? Are they operating? Or try to jump start the car using my other car?
Hi.
You are unlikely to get the assistance these days. You can try jump start. If the cables are not available, you can push-start the car with the help of family members or the neighbors. Do maintain social distancing and wear masks.
Old 23rd April 2020, 15:04   #355
BHPian

Quick Update: Called Maruti roadside assistance. He jump started the car and let is run for about an hour. Battery is indeed weak. He also topped up the distilled water level.Will change it after the lockdown. Also, will need to drive the car about 4-5 kms just to keep the battery in descent condition.
Old 23rd April 2020, 15:45   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like I've said before, I've never bothered about following any special "tips" for parking for an extended period.

Here's my 2004 Santro Xing with a 4 year old battery. First crank after exactly 30 days:
We used to have a Mk1 Santro, very very old until about 5 years ago in our parking. I used to start it once in a while after being parked for a month or so, it used to start in one go and with only 28000 Km on Odo, it felt like a new car. I would never rely on that vehicle to go anywhere, never know what all have perished, dried out and about to give up somewhere far from home.

Your car`s battery light appears to be on after the engine started, If it remains on for a while after the vehicle starts it could indicate that battery was low\ weak \ not charging properly. Using it further may eventually damage the starter.
Old 23rd April 2020, 16:55   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Your car`s battery light appears to be on after the engine started, If it remains on for a while after the vehicle starts it could indicate that battery was low\ weak \ not charging properly. Using it further may eventually damage the starter.
The leftmost indicator is the one for the parking brake that's engaged. Here's an older picture that shows the indicators clearly:
Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-img_20191222_200723.jpg

Regards,
Sayantan.
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 08:59   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like I've said before, I've never bothered about following any special "tips" for parking for an extended period. Here's my 2004 Santro Xing with a 4 year old battery. First crank after exactly 30 days
A battery light going on generally means a problem with the charging system. Also, please check the wiring under the hood.

Don't worry about extended parking. I have parked my car for several months at a stretch and she starts at the 1st try. But I have battery chargers just in case the battery dies out. In all my years of car ownership the the car has not started just once in Dec. The battery needed to be connected to a charger. Amaron did the needful as it was under warranty.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 09:32   #359
Senior - BHPian

I start the car once every five days, allow the engine and AC to run for 20 minutes. Then take it for a small round locally, and park it back. Same routine for the bike too.
Old 27th April 2020, 10:42   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A battery light going on generally means a problem with the charging system. Also, please check the wiring under the hood.
Sir, all the dash lights come on in the ACC mode and then turn off when the car is cranked. In the video, I don't see the battery light staying on after the car has started. Like I've pointed out below:
Quote:
The leftmost indicator is the one for the parking brake that's engaged.
Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks