Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 21:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashing_smile View Post

The Hyundai i20's keys are remarkably similar to the picture you posted..
Old 10th September 2009, 11:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What I cannot understand that if there is an uncoded key (i.e. without the rfid) and if does everything , then the rfid bit becomes somewhat infructuous, since someone can duplicate that key and get going.
Both keys have an RFID core inside. The central locking system is independent to this. When you put the key into the receiver, a transmitter ring inside it activates the chip inside the key and it responds back with a specific code. This is then compared to the stored code inside the ECU and if they match, the drivetrain is enabled.

If they don't, the fuel pump, main relay and the ECU itself are disabled. You'll need to manually enable the fuel pump and then insert the correct key to reactivate your car.

What Honda does when you need a duplicate key is cut the key with the pattern specified by the key number and code the immobilizer chip with the key corresponding to your car's VIN. They have a central database for this. Abroad, dealerships have the equipment to do this on their premises. But here they don't exactly trust dealerships, creating this massive hassle.
Old 15th October 2009, 15:39   #18
BHPian

Has anyone lately bought an additional key-with-remote for a Civic. I checked with the dealer yesterday and they said, it would cost ~8K and is a lengthy process (need FIR or ownership certificate, etc).
Old 27th April 2010, 23:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
The Hyundai i20's keys are remarkably similar to the picture you posted..
Yes they are the same.

Kindly help me on this please,as i wish to get this done with my keys.

Anybody in Delhi who can do this?

Cheers
Old 28th April 2010, 16:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
When you get your car, a particular key code will be marked in your warranty card. The dealers use this code to make you duplicate keys. Remember that the Civic has a RFID based engine immobilizer system where the ECU communicates with the key and verifies it. A wrong key inserted into the ignition will instantly trip many systems (including one hard to reach control switch for the fuel pump deep in the dash).

Because of this whole system in place, changing the key looks will be nigh impossible I presume. It'll involve changes to at least three key receivers in the car and possibly an ECU change to disable the immobilizer unless a third party can code the keys to your specification. I'm unaware of anybody offering such a service. From what I read on K20A.org and from HONDATA, the system in the 8th gen Civic is one of the most advanced in the world (and weirdly enough, a few high performance Honda/Acura vehicle ECUs don't have it) and is nigh-on-impossible to reverse engineer as it protects the ECU code as well.
I guess you will know this, sorry this off the current topic. We have a remote lock for the car but with out a sound when we lock and unlock, 3 blinks of the indicator when we lock and 1 when we open. I also know when you try and open it in an unusual way then the siren comes on which is basically the car horn starts and that is the alarm used.

My question:
1> how can we activate sound while locking and unlocking.
2. I always fancy when the car horn blows while you lock and unlock the car with the lights, lights will be asking for too much, but i think when the car is unlocked in unusual fashion the horn is the alarm which makes me believe that we can use the horn as sound while locking and unlocking.

You have any dope on this.

Thanks
Old 28th April 2010, 18:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you will know this, sorry this off the current topic. We have a remote lock for the car but with out a sound when we lock and unlock, 3 blinks of the indicator when we lock and 1 when we open. I also know when you try and open it in an unusual way then the siren comes on which is basically the car horn starts and that is the alarm used.

My question:
1> how can we activate sound while locking and unlocking.
2. I always fancy when the car horn blows while you lock and unlock the car with the lights, lights will be asking for too much, but i think when the car is unlocked in unusual fashion the horn is the alarm which makes me believe that we can use the horn as sound while locking and unlocking.

You have any dope on this.

Thanks
Car Make?
Which remote lock is installed ?

without above info, its hard for anyone to make a guess and guide.
Old 1st May 2010, 14:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Car Make?
Which remote lock is installed ?

without above info, its hard for anyone to make a guess and guide.
Car is honda Civic and the original honda central locking setup is what I am referring to.

Cheers

Last edited by The Saint : 1st May 2010 at 14:57.
Old 4th May 2010, 14:31   #23
BHPian

Any thoughts on how this can be done on my Honda civic.

Cheers
Old 10th May 2010, 18:27   #24
BHPian

anyone who can help me to achieve as per my query or this is impossible?

Cheers
Old 15th December 2012, 16:05   #25

Re: Need a Duplicate key for honda civic

I have just booked a Honda City VAT 2012 in Chennai. And was completely puzzled to learn that only one of the keys they give me will have the remote locking buttons! What the heck!! On such an expensive car! A Honda! Something is wrong here. What if I lose that key? What use is the spare key if I can't use it open my car?
Old 25th December 2012, 10:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognale View Post
I have just booked a Honda City VAT 2012 in Chennai. And was completely puzzled to learn that only one of the keys they give me will have the remote locking buttons! What the heck!! On such an expensive car! A Honda! Something is wrong here. What if I lose that key? What use is the spare key if I can't use it open my car?
The second key will open the door and start the car and is as good as the remote key just without the remote capabilities.You can get another key made if you want at around 4K, check out the below post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2923544

BTW guys a FIR for making a new key sounds a bit tedious process but people (like bhpian FrankMehta) have their keys made from outside without any FIR etc.
Old 4th June 2015, 12:04   #27
BANNED

I lost my valet key and dealer is giving me an estimate of 10K ?. Is this reasonable ?. Also, can this be done outside ?.. I am in bangalore..
Old 10th June 2015, 16:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I lost my valet key and dealer is giving me an estimate of 10K ?. Is this reasonable ?. Also, can this be done outside ?.. I am in bangalore..
I would say the quote is a rip-off. I got a second key done for my Civic with the remote at HASS and it costed me about 6-7K three years ago. Answering your second question, yes this can be done outside for sure because in my case HASS ordered a blank key and got it cut out at an outside shop and then programmed it for my car.
Old 10th June 2015, 17:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
10K for a Valet Key!

You could get a valet key done for Rs. 250 from outside in Mumbai. As I understand this is only for locking/unlocking the doors and the boot and there is no need to spend a small fortune for this.
Old 10th June 2015, 17:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

For Corolla H4, my remote keyless key broke in 2014 after 7 years. New key costs Rs. 12,000-14,000!!! So using the old-fashioned duplicate key.
Can someone advise if I can get it cheaper in Delhi.

Last edited by vasudeva : 10th June 2015 at 17:36.

Most Viewed