Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2024, 12:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?

Thanks to Sujith for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Dimensional deviation of 13 mm in the Mahindra Thar chassis.

There is a dimensional deviation of 13 mm in the rear suspension mount of the chassis of the Mahindra Thar RWD.

Is this intentional?

As per Mahindra, it's within the tolerance limit and is normal.

Are you sure the deviation of 13 mm in the mounting bracket on the chassis is within the tolerance limit?

Because of this Thar tilts to the right side by around 25 mm (In some vehicles it's more than 40 mm due to dimensional deviation and load distribution)
Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?-thartilt1.jpg

Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?-thartilt2.jpg

Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?-thartilt3.jpg

Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?-thartilt4.jpg

Note: The Thars in the images are 3 different vehicles.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th September 2024 at 06:42. Reason: Note added
RahulNagaraj is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 09:31   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
re: Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first photo looks like it may have been tilted. The roof of the complex also seems to be tilted towards the right.
Old 5th September 2024, 09:52   #3
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardHunter View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first photo looks like it may have been tilted. The roof of the complex also seems to be tilted towards the right.
Adding to this, the 2nd picture looks morphed as well? Maybe it's that overhead light affecting my perception, but it doesn't look right.
Old 5th September 2024, 11:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The tilting to the right, seen from the rear, and the drawing which shows a +13mm on the right don’t make sense. If it is +13mm on the right it should be tilting to the left when seen from the rear?

Do all these Thars lean to the right?

I am not sure what “within tolerance limit means? Let’s get one thing straight 13mm deviation on a structural construction like a chassis is never “within limits”.

A modern chassis is produced with tolerance measures in tens of a mm.

So this is produced with a 13mm offset for some reason

No idea why. There are other cars with very odd design features that nobody has been able to explain. The Renault 4 had a difference in wheel base between right and left!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 11:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Note: The Thars in the images are 3 different vehicles.
All three images look tilted. Observing the roof and pillars, all of them need to be straightened.

Next are you sure this is a manufacturing drawing? The tolerance and specification in the image of the chassis drawing does not look like an OEM drawing tolerance.
Old 5th September 2024, 11:24   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

1st pic: look at how much of the sidewalls you can on the left vs right tyre, camera seems to be offset horizontally to the right.

Unless the camera position was centred on the vehicle both laterally (width) and vertically (height), there will always be some distortion/tilting of lines not at the same height as the camera.

Also, the spare wheel is not centred on the boot, so can't be used as reference. Using a spirit level is probably better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Adding to this, the 2nd picture looks morphed as well? Maybe it's that overhead light affecting my perception, but it doesn't look right.
It's the light which is off-centre relative to the parking spot, reflecting off the curved edge of the roof.
bravo6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 11:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is a hoax. Clearly someone playing the fool on the internet.

A car that tilts will have severe handling issues.

Even when everything is normal the Thar is no BMW. And Mahindra isn’t going to experiment with the laws of physics on this one.

There is a thread on this very topic on team bhp:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-one-side.html (Is it normal for a car to lean on one side?)

And if one wants more reading:

https://www.carparts.com/blog/common...-one-side/amp/

Last edited by AMG Power : 5th September 2024 at 12:02.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 12:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?-img_20240904_200906.jpg

To my astonishment I feel that my brand new RWD Thar which I took delivery just last week is also tilting on the driver side. I have a keen eye for detail and on the second day itself this casually went through my mind and now this thread almost confirming it, though I admit I do not have a perfectly flat parking surface. Will definitely take a picture on a more level surface and post it.

Add to this woe I hear about the close to 2.5L discount now being offered on the 3 door Thar just days after delivery. Kudos to Mahindra , what a tumultuous post-delivery experience.

P.S: Is this only for RWD or for 4x4 too? I have a hunch about the hardtop's dimensions instead of the chassis deviation

Last edited by thoma : 5th September 2024 at 12:21.
thoma is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 12:21   #9
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?

I remember @gsferrari saying the same thing about his Jimny in one of the Motoroid videos. He measured the height of the body from the ground on both sides. I don't know if that would be a good way of measuring the tilt, but Thar owners can try that.

Last edited by ringsoftime : 5th September 2024 at 12:24. Reason: Minor changes
Old 5th September 2024, 12:23   #10
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?

Seems like this is also there on some Jimnys - while I haven't checked mine in detail, looking from far seems that there is a slight tilt on one side. Having said that there are few members of our Jimny group that have reported the same probably being an issue with the springs on one side.
Old 5th September 2024, 12:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Off topic - But the Thar with this stance looks a lot like Mohanlal!

Quote:
Mohanlal commented that his one side hanging shoulder is a ‘manufacturing defect’. During an interview for the promotion of ‘Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham’, Mohanlal commented that his most praised feature, the hanging shoulder, is hereditary and sees it as a trait. His mother, grandfather also have such a bend over the shoulder.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?-psx_20240905_125148.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 14:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Will definitely take a picture on a more level surface and post it.
I find a 7mm difference between the passenger and driver side, measuring till the wheel arch.

Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?-img_20240905_130028.jpg

Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?-img_20240905_130140.jpg

Mahindra Thar RWD tilting to the right; Intentional or manufacturing defect?-img_20240905_141106.jpg
thoma is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 14:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I find a 7mm difference between the passenger and driver side, measuring till the wheel arch.
That's interesting, are all tyres on equal pressure?

What Jeroen pointed out is also correct. If the RHS frame has +13mm difference then the car should be tilted to the left.

Authenticity of that picture should be verified and may be it's a hoax.

May be most of the (ladder frame) vehicles have this difference in height <10 mm, owing to the slight variations in mounts?
Old 5th September 2024, 15:32   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Could it be to compensate for the driver's weight? Even the spare's weight would be more on the right side.

The car can be perfectly level only with a driver sitting, or without. Not both I think?
bravo6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 17:52   #15
BHPian

What fresh sorcery is this? I was just considering putting my money on the RWD Petrol automatic and this pops up. Is anyone able to confirm whether this is in fact true? If yes, is this a defect?

The drawings mentioned above don't quite tally up as @Jeroen mentioned.
BrakeDancer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks