Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2024, 00:51   #1
mgb

Car flooring & carpeting wet after floods | Now what?

Hi all,
This is my first post on TeamBHP.. I hope the community will be able to guide me on how to go about it.

Unfortunately while on the way back to home earlier this week, i came across a very waterlogged area at night. I couldn't see the road from car's LED lights, so much water. I checked the car areas on reaching.Fortunately engine was saved and no water was detected on the engine.
Car's luggage / dicky area was dry and there was no water logged there.

But there was water on the car cabin floor - under both the passenger seats and driver seat. Took me a solid 2 hours to drain out good amount of water, but yet there is still more.

The car's floor is still wet

So, my questions
  1. What should be done next ?
  2. Should i consider to get the floor cleaned at service center ? They're giving me a quote of 5k and want me to leave the car with them for 3 days
  3. Someone suggested me that i get the floor rubber plug removed and let the water drain out. Also drive the car everyday for 5 days so that the floor dries up
mgb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 10:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car flooring & carpeting wet after floods | Now what?

It can really start smelling after a couple of days. Not to mention, the lack of hygiene from having street water in your car.

I would personally have professionals take care of it. Even if it comes to removing the carpeting and cleaning them.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 13:55   #3
BHPian

During an evening run to provide water to stray animals, my father forgot to close one of the plastic jerry cans properly. Carpet on passenger side and behind the seat was drenched with water.
My immediate plan was to use newspaper to soak as much water from carpet as possible and then remove the carpet to further address this issue.
Baleno had torx screw to hold the seat so I had to work around them. Started with removing all the plastic trim and beading near door area and B pillar to better access the carpet ends. Stuffed news paper below the carpet and left the car in sun for 2-3 days, kept windows slightly open for ventilation and changed the newspaper in between and it was fine. This water issue needs to be addressed immediately otherwise the smell will be impossible to get rid of later. If you are not comfortable doing this then better go to any garage nearby as the carpet is lined with insulator sort of wool from below and boy it soaks water really well.

Last edited by Bhuvan : 3rd August 2024 at 14:24. Reason: Trimming and Grammar correction
Bhuvan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 15:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
But there was water on the car cabin floor - under both the passenger seats and driver seat. Took me a solid 2 hours to drain out good amount of water, but yet there is still more.The car's floor is still wet
Quoting from my thread on an Etios from 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The carpet remained soaked wet even after eight months post flood - this was causing some foul smell in the cabin.

Carpet

Removed the seats and the carpet and yukkkk - there was this strong stench that emanated from the floor thanks to soaked foam pads.

Eight months of stagnant water was unbearable. I was in no mood to take pics and just discarded the foam pads. The carpet was like this.
Attachment 1545424

Split the vinyl and the fabric carpets and cleaned them independently with Lizol solution and allowed them to dry in the Chennai sun.

Followed up with a vinyl dressing for the vinyl carpet.

Refitted the carpets after providing a layer of 10mm EPE foam on the floorpan(remember , the soaked foam pads were discarded)

Floorpan

Cleaned the floor out with Lizol in water - it took three rounds(bucketfuls) to clean one quarter.
Attachment 1545432

Here is how muddy the water was after the second round
Attachment 1545425
1. Remove the carpet after removing front seats
2. Remove drain plugs (some cars don't have them) and drain out the standing stinking water
3. Dry the floorpan
4. Clean, disinfect carpet
5. Fit back
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 16:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a terrible, unwanted intrusion of dirty street water into your car. There are quite meaningful suggestions in the trailing threads.

-My first suggestion would be to discard your car's carpet and affix a new OE carpet that should be available in the market.

- Thoroughly clean the floor and all affected components just above the floor. Lizol is quite good but needs to be diluted adequately. I feel these cleaners are blended with acid that could harm the surfaces, these come in contact with. Surf Excel powder should be a better alternative. And if you do it manually, be sure to wash your hands with Dettol.

- Drying it up follows. Sun drying is the best and if you're parking within your premises open all the doors/ tailgate for the sun rays enter and dry the interiors naturally.

- Affix the new carpet after the car is fully cleaned and dried.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd August 2024 at 16:21.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 17:33   #6
mgb

Thank you @Anjan @vigsom @bhuvan @GTO for your responses.

So my car is new. Barely been a few weeks since i got it delivered.

I am asked to leave the vehicle at the service center for 3 days, which i am unsure if it should be done. Even if i take my vehicle back after getting the carpet out, the thought getting the seats out within weeks of getting delivery isn't a very good thought at this stage when i have just bought a new car. My preference is to avoid service center interference when avoidable since it opens possibilities for more issues (rattles, alignment, etc)

Different exec's at the same service center are quoting me different prices for the same cleanup after taking carpet out - and some of them have asked me to check for insurance claim applicability.

To add, today is the 4th day and i don't smell anything as of now.

Hence the confusion on what to do.

Also another question - the car has a rubber plug at the floor for draining out water. Would taking out the plug from the rear of the car void the warranty ?

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2024 at 07:43. Reason: Quoting not required
mgb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 18:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
1. Remove the carpet after removing front seats
2. Remove drain plugs (some cars don't have them) and drain out the standing stinking water
3. Dry the floorpan
4. Clean, disinfect carpet
5. Fit back
The above mentioned steps are to the perfection and can be executed with the help of proper tools and handy friend (which we all lack) or by any reputed mechanic and the best course of action at the moment.

Quote:
Updated message:
To add, today is the 4th day and i don't smell anything as of now.

Hence the confusion on what to do.

Also another question - the car has a rubber plug at the floor for draining out water. Would taking out the plug from the rear of the car void the warranty ?
Since you have not mentioned the make of your car (could make things complex if German or luxury), I am assuming it to be a mass market ride which makes it easy for you.

Smell originates from mildew (mold or fungus) due to moisture, if not handled this very moment, will warrant the replacement of carpet and seat fabric-cushion eventually.

You can ask the service centre to remove the carpet, take it home to wash and dry. Driving vehicle without carpet will heat the floor section (catalytic converter is located below generally), similar to using an oil radiator during summer, which will help in removing moisture and kill fungus. Been there and done that in Alto, but don't use vehicle with kids and family in back seat like this. Hope this helps.

Cars do have drain holes but they are watertight from factory and not easily removable as you mention. Better to consult for warranty with ASS.
Bhuvan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 18:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would personally have professionals take care of it. Even if it comes to removing the carpeting and cleaning them.
I would suggest going one step further and replacing the soaked carpets. You're really lucky the engine dod not go into hydrolock! Imagine the cost & time the car would have had to spend at the service centre had that happened, and swallow the bill for a brand new carpet.

Quote:
I am asked to leave the vehicle at the service center for 3 days, which i am unsure if it should be done. Even if i take my vehicle back after getting the carpet out, the thought getting the seats out within weeks of getting delivery isn't a very good thought at this stage when i have just bought a new car.
I'd rather go to the best detailer in town than the service centre, provided it is only a carpet job. The good guys are well experienced in handling seats and electricals, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 20:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.. today is the 4th day and i don't smell anything as of now...
The stink of dirty street water may be gone, but please ensure all the moisture underneath is gone too, else you're looking at mold formation and creating conditions for rusting. It probably needs disinfecting anyway, even if completely dry.

This is best handled by a professional detailer who knows what they're doing. If needed, replace the carpet. Not worth risking your health and the car's longevity for a relatively easy (and inexpensive) to replace part.

Not something one wants on a new car, agreed, but no point making things worse.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd August 2024 at 20:39.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 12:02   #10
mgb

Thanks for your inputs.

The carpet is close to getting dried already, with some parts still moist (and i guess will get dried out today). The car was getting fogged from inside due to the moisture last night when i turned on the AC.

But still, as i have to use the car today, i'll leave the car at the SC tomorrow and get the carpet cleaned after removing the seats (Same way vigsom suggested).

If that doesn't work effectively, no harm in changing the carpet too.
mgb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 15:33   #11
ike
BHPian

A good detailer should be able to remove the seats, wash and dry the carpet and put it back. This is not an expensive or complicated fix. However not doing this might result in fungus formations in the car and more importantly lead to rusting in the floor panel.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 18:30   #12
BHPian

Used to have same issue with my car on multiple occasions. I used to

Disconnect Battery.

1. Remove all seats.
2. Remove the Carpet (including boot)
3. Wash carpet thoroughly.
4. Let it dry under sun. Atleast 2 days.
5. Ensure both sides are put under sun

Time to work on car floor.

6. Open drain holes.
7. Mix car shampoo water in a bucket
8. Wash the floor thoroughly with shampoo water and when i was satisfied of cleanliness then wash with lukewarm water.
9. Let the car dry for 3 days with windows and door opened.
10. Use tissue paper to clean the floor for removing any moisture residues
11. After mission accomplishment reassemble everything

Ensure battery is Disconnected asap. If there is a splicing in the floor cabling then there is a chance of short circuit due to moisture.
dsuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 02:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There are layers of damping beneath the carpet which may still retain moisture. I'm speaking from experience when i say 5k for removing and drying is cheaper than trying to repair the rust that will come afterwards if your car retains moisture
greenhorn is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 09:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But there was water on the car cabin floor - under both the passenger seats and driver seat. Took me a solid 2 hours to drain out good amount of water, but yet there is still more.
1. Make sure that the seats, carpet, foam are removed so that everything (including the floor) can be cleaned and dried thoroughly - as already suggested by others. Do not mind if it takes a couple of days.
2. Do not agree if they suggest using a vacuum cleaner (even a heavy-duty one) instead of removing the seats.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 11:57   #15
BHPian

Removing the seats is not a big deal. Most seats will be held in by 4 bolts. Removing seats is a routine activity and fully reversible, so do not be afraid. Then, you may get a professional detailer to use a wet vaccum to suck all the water out of the carpets. This will get most water out and after this, the carpet will be damp. The carpets will then dry naturally. I bet the service center is going to do the same thing.
If you have a wet vaccum at home, even you can do it.
vaibhavyagnik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks